Hondo's Bar

Django Unchained

The NZA

Samuel L Jackson confirmed for Tarantino's Django Unchained

Samuel Jackson locked to 'Django Unchained'

'Pulp Fiction' thesp re-uniting with Quentin Tarantino for fifth time

By Dave McNary

Samuel L. Jackson is confirmed for "Django Unchained," re-uniting with Quentin Tarantino for the fifth time.

Jackson had been expected for some time to play Stephen, a house slave and the right-hand man of a sadistic slavemaster. Thesp's publicist confirmed his attachment Tuesday.

He'll be busy in the meantime: The "Pulp Fiction" star opens in mid-October on Broadway in "The Mountaintop," portraying Martin Luther King, Jr., opposite Angela Bassett. The play runs until mid-January and he'll join the "Django" production immediately thereafter in New Orleans.

Jamie Foxx is expected to star in "Django Unchained" in the title role of Django, a freed slave who teams with a German bounty hunter to take on an evil plantation owner (Leonardo DiCaprio) to retrieve his long-lost love.

The Weinstein Co. will distribute the pic Stateside; Sony Pictures will handle the release overseas.

Jackson is repped by ICM.

related:

also, Michael K. Williams confirmed

02_omar_lgl.jpg

Zoe Bell and Kerry Washington too, looks like it starts shooting january and goes through april. gonna be awesome!

Will Smith would've been great. Tarantino has what I like to call the Inverse-Shyamalan effect, any actor he works with puts out a great performance no matter how terrible they are. (Unlike M. Night Shyamalan where every actor he works with puts out a terrible performance despite how good they are: See Paul Giamatti)

Don't believe me? Tarantino not only got two great performances but managed to convince everyone that Michael Madsen is a good actor! That's like turning water into wine. Same thing with David Carradine. Lucy Liu. Vivica A. Fox. Of course this superpower will no doubt be beneficial to Jamie Foxx as well.

Don't forget John Travolta. The only thing that dude had done in 15 years were those talking baby movies. Thanks to Tarantino he was able to do...like 3 more halfway decent movies.

"Impression" is exactly the right word to describe Foxx's performance. It could have been/probably was perfected as a comedy bit, then someone wrapped a dramatic script around it. I bet he could do a compelling Bill Cosby biopic too.

"Impression" is exactly the right word to describe Foxx's performance. It could have been/probably was perfected as a comedy bit, then someone wrapped a dramatic script around it. I bet he could do a compelling Bill Cosby biopic too.

Personally I can't wait for Tutti Frutti his career-making tell-all biopic of Little Richard.

Is In Living Colour any good? Mad magazine had me believing it was the comedic Nazarene all the way back in 92 or thenabouts but I managed to torrent the whole series and it looks to have aged terribly. Having said that most Wayans' efforts do, but is it at least half as good as Don't be a Menace to South Central?

And the only thing I ever dug Foxx in was the Great White Hype.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...