Hondo's Bar

Django Unchained

The NZA

Maybe things have changed in the 9 hours since you posted this, but Amazon is out of Djangos, Broomhildas and Butches. They have 4 Candies, 2 Schultz and 8 Stephens. They are also out of complete set, for which you could have saved negative 5 cents for the privilege of purchasing them together.

The last two minutes of this interview have erupting into a bit of controversy, as would be expected, jump to 9:15 if you want to see just that.

Edited by Reverend Jax

The movie was great. Not sure where it belongs in the pantheon of Tarantino films, but I know I like Inglourious Basterds more after 3 years than I did when I first saw it (and I loved it when I first saw it). Hats off to Samuel L Jackson for his willingness to play, in his words, "the most despised negro in cinematic history." Leonardo DiCaprio also, at least for me, disappeared into his role.

I was legitimately sad when King Schultz died, and when Django went back to say 'Auf wiedersehen.' I know I shouldn't go into any Tarantino movie expecting any characters to survive til the end, just as a matter of precaution, but I didn't expect him to go when he did.

true, but i couldn't help but figure sam had some fun with that role, personification of uncle ruckus that it was. despicable, but at least enjoyably so - put it this way, id wager he enjoyed this role more than he did shaft, heh.

and to your spoiler: yeah, all of us were on the same page.

Fox may play the titular character, but Waltz and DiCaprio totally stole this movie. I don't think it was mentioned in here, but the scene w/ Candie's bloody hand was DiCaprio doing some major method acting...

That was blood from a real cut that he improved smearing all over Hildy's face.

As the scene plays out, Candie slams his hand on a dining room table. It was during one take of that scene when DiCaprio unintentionally slammed his hand into glass, creating a gash that later required medical care.

But that didn't stop him from doing his job. As his hand bled quite visibly, DiCaprio kept going, even using the hand as a new dramatic prop. At one point he smears his bloodied hand over Broomhilda's face in an act of evil dominance. And Broomhilda (Washington) looks horrified as he does it. (Perhaps Washington wasn't acting!) And that was the take that director Quentin Tarantino kept in the film.

"Leo had slammed his hand on the table countless times and he moved his hand further and he crushed a crystal cordial glass," "Django" producer Stacey Sher also recently told Variety. "Blood was dripping down his hand. He never broke character. He kept going. He was in such a zone. It was very intense. He required stitches."

I'm calling it now. Best and most fun movie of the year. Sorry Avengers, there is no way I will enjoy Django less.

I enjoyed the film as well, but you can't seriously still be sticking to this.

Yeah, I'm sticking to it Haku, and I think I'll be in good company. Like I said, it's not just a better movie than Avengers, it's not just a more important movie than Avengers, it was a more fun movie than Avengers. I'm trying to think of a movie I've seen that I thought was more fun than this, since I saw Inglourious Basterds, and I think Scott Pilgrim may be the only one. Even Toy Story 3, which I think it a better film than those three (Django, Pilgrim and Basterds), was not as fun. I still think Avengers was a lot of fun (it's my second most fun film of the year), but Django was better.

I've seen neither and I can say for certain that Django > Avengers.

You haven't seen Avengers? Purposefully avoiding, or have you somehow just not gotten around to catching it?

i feel like tarantino is the only person who knows how to use waltz properly in a movie.

I haven't seen any of the movies Waltz has been in other than his two Tarantino films. Were any of them any good, even if they didn't properly use Waltz?

Edited by Reverend Jax

I haven't seen any of the movies Waltz has been in other than his two Tarantino films. Were any of them any good, even if they didn't properly use Waltz?

The only two I know of are Green Hornet (where he had a pretty memorable role considering he wasn't in much of it) and that one movie John C. Reilly where they and two actresses I can't recall (I wanna say Kate Winslet and Jodie Foster) played the parents of some kids who had been in a fight at school and Waltz played an aloof jackass who spent most of the movie on the phone. That movie didn't use anybody well.