Hondo's Bar

Django Unchained

The NZA

Yeah, I'm sticking to it Haku, and I think I'll be in good company.

You got jokes. Not good ones, but you you got jokes.

Like I said, it's not just a better movie than Avengers, it's not just a more important movie than Avengers, it was a more fun movie than Avengers.

More important? Possibly. Better? Debatable. More fun? Not even close.

Yeah theyre two completely different movies besides Samuel L Jackson.

I'm of the opinion that they are on such vastly different levels that it's not even fair to compare them. They're going for different things. One is a brightly colored summer blockbuster created to make as much money as humanly possible, and one is...well, one is a really good movie.

You ask the 12 year old boy that shares my name, he may tell you that Avengers is among the greatest cinematic achievements in human history, and the only things that could have made it better would have been Adam Sandler and a 12 ft. tall blue alien chick.

Django, for me, showcased some of the finest acting I've seen lately, brilliant dialog, and expert fucking pacing.

The rhythm of that movie is a work of art in itself. It's pretty long, and there was no point where it dragged for me. I was enjoying every bit, and never thought "Geez, this movie is long..."

I cannot say the same about the Avengers. I'm sure many people can, but I cannot.

if you think it does

Yeah theyre two completely different movies besides Samuel L Jackson.

yeah, my answer here too. in my mind i was trying to sort if i liked it more than Basterds, since there were more similarities there.

sen thought it dragged at the end, i did not - but as great as it was, calling it "important" feels kinda iffy.

I'd say if there were 6 big studio film about slavery in the American South (not about the Civil War, about the American slave experience) coming out every year, then 'important' would be highly unwarranted. There's not even one every ten years. Talking about it makes white America uncomfortable, and this movie has people talking about it. For that reason, I'd call it important.

Edited by Reverend Jax

So...best movie of the year for me. Hands down. Not saying I didn't love any other movies...but this was everything I hoped it would be and more.

/edit - Also, as fantastic as Leo is in this movie, Christoph Waltz nailed it. I mean someone should just go ahead and give him all the awards. Just, all of them.

Edited by sinestetici

I'd say if there were 6 big studio film about slavery in the American South (not about the Civil War, about the American slave experience) coming out every year, then 'important' would be highly unwarranted. There's not even one every ten years. Talking about it makes white America uncomfortable, and this movie has people talking about it. For that reason, I'd call it important.

Spielberg put out a lil' film this year called Lincoln. Also, not that I agree it's what should have people talking, but the treatment of slaves isn't what has people buzzing so much as the amount of times the n-word is used.

Gingerbread Big House!

<div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:640px;"><a href="

title="from Samuel L Jackson, Anne Hathaway, and Zoe Jackson & Mirror Cube">The Sad Off with Samuel L. Jackson and Anne Hathaway</a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/samuel_l_jackson">Samuel L Jackson</a>

</div>

Spielberg put out a lil' film this year called Lincoln. Also, not that I agree it's what should have people talking, but the treatment of slaves isn't what has people buzzing so much as the amount of times the n-word is used.

There's a difference between a movie about slavery and a movie about the Civil War, just like there's a difference between a movie about the Holocaust and a movie about World War II. Schindler's List was a Holocaust movie, Pearl Harbour wasn't a Holocaust movie, and Lincoln wasn't a movie about the American slave experience. It was a movie about getting an amendment passed. Movies about the American slave experience are very few and far between.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You know...I was kinda surprised he was nominated as supporting actor - he was in almost every scene. I wonder if they intentionally did that so he would be an award contender. I'm almost positive Daniel Day Lewis is going to take best actor in every awards show there is; I don't agree with it, but it was just that sorta role.

Roots? Amistad came out in 1997.

. . .and Lincoln wasn't a movie about the American slave experience. It was a movie about getting an amendment passed. . .

Yeah, the amendment that abolished slavery. So yeah, Lincoln was indeed a movie about the "American slave experience." It was about the end of said experience.

American Slave Experience is also my favorite emocore band.

• Downvote 1

Big studio movies that depict was slavery was like in the America South are few and far between. Lincoln was not one of them. Taking place during the era of slavery, or during the Civil War, does not make a movie about slavery. While Amistad didn't really portray life as a slave on a plantation, it did portray the African slave trade, so yeah, the last one was 15 years ago.

True, but exploitation cinema has always taken frank and shamelessly naked looks at social issues that mainstream movies were unwilling to tackle, that doesn't make them important but it is what makes those types of movies memorable. Still, Django Unchained is still an exploitation movie and it is to slavery what I Spit on Your Grave was to rape culture.