Hondo's Bar

Hayao Miyazaki's next movie

The NZA

source

Suzuki: In fact, we have begun to make Hayao Miyazaki's new film.

Yamaguchi: What kind of film?

Suzuki: It's a Jiden (autobiography). A true jiden. From birth...

Suzuki: When he finished quarter of the storyboards, its story has begun to wander from its main course, as usual (laughs). So, a staff member came to me and said, "If you do not stop it, the movie won't be completed" (i.e within a two hour timespan). So I said, "I see, I'll read the storyboards seriously", and I read it yesterday. But it's very interesting (laughs). I'm in doubt about what to do. In fact, I'm heading back to the studio after this and must talk with Miya-san (laughs). I don't know how this movie will turn out, because if we do it the movie becomes a rambling story. Though I'm thinking "oh, well".

Suzuki: I calculated the new film needs about 250,000 animation cels (laughs). We must draw it. If the story deviates to a side road, we cannot arrive at there.

from here

For comparison to that 250 000 number, here's the number of animation cels in past Miyazaki movies:

- Ponyo: 170,653 cels. Run-time is 100min 54sec

- Howl's Moving Castle: 148,786 cels. 119min 11sec

- Spirited Away: 112,367 cels. 124min 35sec

- Princess Mononoke: 144,043 cels. 133min 24sec

ml8Lw.png

• 6 years later...

New Miyazaki Hayao Movie's Title Revealed.

君たちはどう生きるか (Kimitachi wa Dou Ikiruka / How are you guys going to live).

The title is based off a book of the same title by Yoshino Genjaburo that came out on 1937.

The reason why the movie title is same as the book is because the book is important/meaningful to main character.

It will take about 3~4 years till completion.