Hondo's Bar

Watchmen prequels

alive she cried

Link

COMICS: Watchmen Prequels to be Published as Four Mini-Series

Bleeding Cool has been on top of this story over the past few days, unearthing new details, and getting a mysterious phone call from an unnamed DC higher-up that confirmed the project.

watchman-simpson.jpg

Bleeding Cool over the past few days has reported that DC is working on prequels to Alan Moore's masterpiece Watchmen. Since our first article mentioning of the super secret project Bleeding Cool has uncovered more information and received a phone call that they claim confirms it.

The new information is that the prequels will be published as four mini-series. All four will be connected by a plot written by Darwyn Cooke. With this new knowledge in hand you can now look back at past quote by Cooke that he made to MTV Geek from earlier this year. He said, "I have something coming up with DC, but I'm sworn to secrecy…there is a very big project on the horizon with DC, which we're probably going to announce in October, as far as I understand. And that should be exciting, and infuriating, and all kinds of things to people. It should be quite a shock when they hear what we're doing."

Courtesy of Bleeding Cool

PHONE CALL
- "How did you know? How did you know? I didn't know. How did you know?"

That was the phone call I got at 3 o'clock in the morning my time, 10 in the evening in New York. It was clearly from a bar, it was from a DC editorial type, and it was clearly in reference to the Watchmen prequels I've been talking about that, post new-52, are back on the table with Darwyn Cooke taking artistic lead. And it had been kept such a secret that certain employees of a relatively senior level had not heard a thing. And, on reading the Bleeding Cool articles, had made some inquiries.

What is also clear that a decent sized chunk of DC is not on board for this. That they love Watchmen as it is, and see these prequel mini-series as diluting that. But there are also those who see not doing this as blatantly leaving money on the table at a time when they can least afford to.

Indeed I am now told that there will be four Watchmen miniseries, all prequels. Working off an over-arching uber-plot by Darwyn, who will be writing and drawing on a book or two.

Edited by alive she cried

It was going to happen eventually, DC is really good at making retarded decisions that ruin any triumphs they make. At very least they got Darwyn Cooke and not Rob Liefeld or Jim Lee or Brad Meltzer or some shit.

DONT think I'm saying that this will be in any way good. It will not, I'm just looking at the silver linings here (like that Alan Moore isn't making an addendum to it himself, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen taught me it's far better when Moore just drops the mic and walks away)

I noticed that too Genroh, and I'm totally cool with it. They can let the Charlton characters become snakes eating their own tails if they like, ripoffs of homages to themselves.

In fact, that's a good idea. Instead of this prequel, they should just do the exact same book with The Question, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and Nightshade.

but why would i want to read that book?

man, baytor putting Meltzer in that company strikes me as harsh, but im having a hard time grabbing one of his works to serve as a counterargument at the moment.

ps what's the over/under on Ennis returning for The further misadventures of Cassidy?

but then you run into the same problem with Absolute Dark Knight! it's great, and way easier to find than the slipcase, but you still have this big gaping slot next to it where you tossed out DKSA and have to deny it happened everytime someone asks why you have batman and Red Star in the same slipcase.

but why would i want to read that book?

man, baytor putting Meltzer in that company strikes me as harsh, but im having a hard time grabbing one of his works to serve as a counterargument at the moment.

ps what's the over/under on Ennis returning for The further misadventures of Cassidy?

My third eye is saying... 'Watch out for a Boy named Sue and his sister Amy: launching to coincide with the Preacher TV series next summer'

I'm being a little hard on Meltzer but only because he opened the rape flood gates on the comic industry and allowed fucktards like Kevin Smith and the like to just stop sending in scripts in lieu of just writing RAPE several times on a sheet of torn out notebook paper in their own blood and semen and letting the editor figure out where to go from there.

I don't know how you hacked mah filez and got my book, but that the rape was critical to the plot from the beginning, it was a defining moment for the heroes who were present, and will be a crucial element going forward but it was hard to fap to, if that helps.

Johnny Bates - doing comic book rape before it was cool.

The following is presented in spanish and under a spoiler for multiple reasons, all for your protection.

2a82t7r.jpg

2rztoib.jpg

5nkeuw.jpg

• 3 months later...

here

Who watches the "Watchmen," you ask? Right now the answer appears to be everyone.

DC Entertainment announced Wednesday (February 1) that a new "Watchmen" prequel series is officially in development. Titled "Before Watchmen," the project spans seven different miniseries starring popular characters from Rorschach to Doctor Manhattan. The continuation of "Watchmen" had been rumored for quite some time, but today's announcement turns rumors into facts — and the reaction to those facts is divided, to say the least.

Some fans believe that more "Watchmen" is a great idea, especially considering the involvement of top-tier comic book talents including Darwyn Cooke and Brian Azzarello. For others, even excellent creative teams won't wash away the panic some are feeling at the prospect of revisiting the most successful, self-contained graphic novel of all time. Indeed, "Watchmen" writer Alan Moore has already spoken out against the existence of "Before Watchmen," telling the New York Times that it's "completely shameless." Artist Dave Gibbons' stance, meanwhile, is considerably warmer: "I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire."

From fans to creators and all the onlookers in between, arguments about whether or not "Before Watchmen" should even exist are sure to rage on in the coming days, weeks and months. But the MTV Movies Team is focused on a different question: Will "Before Watchmen" lead to more "Watchmen" movies?

Up front, it should be noted that the film adaptation of Moore and Gibbons' graphic novel wasn't a smash success at the box office, only yielding $185 million worldwide against a $130 million budget. But the film's high-profile release drew renewed attention to the "Watchmen" brand, propelling its ranking as the top-selling graphic novel for 11 straight months. "Watchmen" also pulled in strong initial DVD sales and rental figures. An unconventional success, perhaps, but success all the same.

Even with all those factors considered, would the "Watchmen" movie's creative team be on-board for sequels? Actors Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman, who played Nite Owl and Silk Spectre respectively, spoke with MTV News about the topic in 2009, and both expressed skepticism. "I just don't know where you would go," Wilson said. "You would need one good idea."

"I don't really know how [a sequel] would ever be possible," Akerman added. "Because 'Watchmen' is 'Watchmen,' and we covered pretty much the whole novel."

Clearly, there is now more ground to cover than Akerman once realized, so future "Watchmen" movies based on original comics material are certainly possible. But if "Watchmen" does have a future on the big screen, director Zack Snyder will not be involved — if comments he made three years ago still hold weight, that is.

"I know that I wouldn't have anything to do with it," Snyder said in February 2009. "It would be like me going to ['No Country for Old Men' author] Cormac McCarthy and going, 'I have an idea for a [sequel]: You write a book, and I'll write a movie, and you can release it. You'll win a Pulitzer; I'll win an Oscar. It'll be awesome.'

"The attitude toward comic books, they show their hand a little bit," he added. "They would never say that about a real novelist, but they would about a comic book."

So will we see more "Watchmen" on film? At this point, it's simply too early to say. But where one would have thought the prospect impossible just three years ago, the possibilities are virtually endless today.

buncha covers

cue Logan Moore rage.