Hondo's Bar

Watchmen prequels

alive she cried

I've read the fine print on a lot of Jack Kirby's stuff and his name is on it. I don't think the movie should be called JACK KIRBY'S THE AVENGERS. That's unneccesary and to be honest he didn't have much of a hand in creating any of the current Avengers roster except Captain America. I mean, yeah, he should get paid royalties but Marvel aren't the only ones that owe that, DC as well. The author of the article spent the whole time complaining about how Jack couldn't get copies of his own art back and had to sign horrible contracts to do so: that's a fair gripe but Jack Kirby is dead and any of the people in the company at the time are probably long gone. The current guard at Marvel/DC should really probably do something about this but it has no bearing on the fucking Avengers movie.

a) there would be no avengers without kirby.

b) the unreleased art is why marvel lost miller (you know, the guy you think is on par with moore) and a lot of other talent. the root of the problem is why you saw the image exodus of '92, and even with their icon line, it's still a problem: Marvel (nor DC) do not give their due to the men who built their houses. i get that's not a problem for my favorite contrarian reading another article on the interent, but for one of my favorite dying industries with a fundamentally broken business model (creator-owned rights being a symptom of that), i don't think it's as simple as "kirby's dead, so are the bad guys lol"

As for Moore, let me put this in simple words in large print, you can make it my member title if you like.

I DO NOT LIKE THE WAY THAT ALAN MOORE WRITES

It's like...you took a knife, and then stabbed me in a kidney with it. And now, our love can never be. :(

Bottom line, he probably doesn't like it because so many people told him he should. This is the 'Baytor effect.

If anything people telling me I should like something makes me try to like it more. I cite Warren Ellis again, I used to despise him and then just found out I was reading the wrong books. Inversely: dipping into Frank Miller and Garth Ennis' back catalogs was a bad idea...

I dunno man. It's hard to nail down something for you.

oSqyL.jpg?1

?

So you like traditional comics.

Have you ever read Captain Britain? The Jaspers' Warp/Crooked World Saga? It wouldn't be my first choice, but the stuff I like is mostly eliminated. Apparently Marvel thought it was influential enough to keep using the numbered universe designations that Alan Moore created (616 etc).

Edited by Thelogan

• 1 month later...

Stupid God damn Firefox went all crazy and crashed as I was winding down my thoughts of Minutemen #1.

In a nutshell as I can't be bothered typing all that up again: I liked it. Very much so. Cooke's off to a flying start, and while I had assumed that this would be the case he really has killed in in terms of tone and structure.

Can't believe I lost that fucking post. That's definitely some Alan Moore black magik shit right there. Son of a gun. I may try again later when I'm not punching the air and swearing.

Edited by Testes McManballs

I liked it too. Still, I think it was missing something. You know how the city of NY was kind of a character in Watchmen. The rich backgrounds of shops and streets and stuff that Gibbons so awesomely placed in each panel? That wasn't there for this. Still, I was surprised how well the writing was.

• 1 month later...