Hondo's Bar

American Horror Story

Anyone watching this?

I was debating about starting an actual thread in the movie forum but I want to watch past the pilot first. So far, I've been thoroughly creeped out. It reminds me of a combination of Lynch/Amityville/and something else that I can't put my finger on this morning.

Plus many elements present in The Shining. That's the one that's been ringing out the most for me---also did anyone catch Lars Von Trier's The Kingdom? Or the Stephen King mini-series based on it, Kingdom Hospital? And then there's also Rosemary's Baby. Lot's of elements of those present as well. It's a cool idea really. Why not pull together all the best elements of horror and mash them together? So far everyone I've talked to who has seen it, is really in to it.

Lynch-ian? But the characters act like humans and the weird shit isn't just random, it serves a purpose. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

It's like a mash-up of a million different horror movies. In the two episodes I've watched I've seen The Others, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Orphan, The New Daughter, The Woods, The Strangers, The Haunting, and House on Haunted Hill and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Well in fairness it's Lynch-ey.

And until they explain rapey gimp suit guy, I'm sticking to the point of random weirdness

Edited by The JZA

post episode 2 thoughts:

-err'body having babies. the wife knew the gimp suit wasn't her husband (at least by the end), yeah? i thought she did but i wasnt sure.

-jesus christ ive been to public parks harder to get into than that house, why not start locking/double bolting the basement and back doors already

-last line @ selling the house was the most sensible thing this family has done since, i dont know, feeding strangers to the basement

okay, watched all 4. i uh...it's a short season so i'll finish it out to see what else goes down, but it's not as good as i was hoping for.

the drama stuff that plays out sure takes its time, but the bigger problem for me is the amount of suspended belief the show requires when the family basically has people wander in & out of their house, threaten them & disappear on an almost daily basis.

frankenbaby in the basement has me interested, gimp man doesn't so much. hot-if-you're-a-guy maid's plight seems like something, along with very-likely-dead-kid, but again if i dont get some more scares by the last 3 or so episodes im prolly gonna drop it because ive already got 2 shows with too many characters/plotlines i dont care about between Dexter and True Blood.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Newest ep brought some gamechanging shit. I'm not a fan of the direction they're possibly taking with the

two-daddy twins, at least in terms of the Tatespawn being the antichrist. It's just gonna take the scale of this show from 'about a four? Right up to a ten. And I need it back down at a four'*. I really dug the three's a company vibe this ep had with Harmon and his goddamned ghost stable. I call bullshit on three black men playing basketball in LA and having never seen a dead body though. That's where my suspension of belief ends. Other thing of note: I have literally been gagging to see the mad doctor who built the house, payoff!

Also, I was discussing the show with a friend last night and she threw me a theory which makes total sense and will probably be kept for a big reveal at some point so only click if you want a big illusion burst:

Chances are pretty good that Violet's dead. She OD'd, Harmon supposedly saved her but now she can see all the ghosts and never leaves the house.

Goddamned maid though. "Congratualtions Dr Harmon, you're finally seeing things as they really are" was some realness.

©LMFB2009

Chances are pretty good that Violet's dead. She OD'd, Harmon supposedly saved her but now she can see all the ghosts and never leaves the house.

Possibility, for sure, but I'm leaning towards

she's got some kind of medium capabilities that will prove useful. Maybe other abilities that are yet to be revealed as well.

Awesome series so far, definitely. I keep alternating between this and Walking Dead on days off/ when I get home early enough to catch up on DVR.

Hayden seems to be a pretty awesome character. At first she seemed to be an annoying side plot, but now she's awesome. Seems she's recruiting more for team dead/house. Heh. The old "siren" maid could go either way. She could be a help to the living... maybe? There's alot of questions still up in the air.

Loving this series more with each episode.

Ah, makes sense now.

Even though Violet's dead, I think she'll have some role in the defeat of the Anti-Christ. Eh who knows? I do like where everything's going so far. Sad that Violet died, but it makes sense.

Edited by Benz

Man, Alana's still cursing the name of the friend who dropped that revelation on us because the delivery was so goddamned good. Only two eps left for the season so I'll be interested to see what comes of the uh, seed. More importantly though, I agree that Violet will be an important counter.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good "Birth" episode. Mamma's joined the dead now too. I can so see her and Hayden catfights coming. That banishing shit... I know they played it off, like it doesn't exist, but something tells me it might come back later on and be useful. So "Ben" and neighbor lady are the only ones left alive.. oh and creepy burn vic, and psychic lady...

Aarty posed a good theory (She refuses to watch, but I tell her about it.) What if all of this shit is just in Ben's head? (Some glimpses of that possibility in this last episode.)

Finale addressed that. I'm really quite liking the format this is looking to take. The flash forward was pretty obvious, but happily I'm a fan of the '3 years on, and we'll discuss whatever was relevant when it comes up' kind of storytelling.

Once you've seen it, lemme know if you got a Beetlejuice vibe from the whole thing.

• Upvote 1

You hit the nail on the head. A darker version of Beetlejuice. There's also this:

American Horror Story

finished up its first season last night, and if all the loose ends weren't entirely tied up, they were pretty damn close. And for good reason! Creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk just announced in a conference call that next season will start from scratch, in a whole new scary house, with many new cast members. "Next year of the show will be a different haunting," Murphy said. "The next season of the show will be a brand-new home or building to haunt." Good-bye, Murder House! Hello, freaky apartment building or trailer park! The show will hew to this horror anthology model going forward, meaning each season will tell a fresh story. Murphy did say that some of the cast members will be returning (and that he's in negotiations with others, and would love Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott, or Jessica Lange to return), but those that do will be playing entirely different characters/monsters/ghosts, and that the Harmon story is completely done. Like the season that just ended, the new season will contain period and true-crime elements. Unlike the season that just ended, it won't be set in a standard one-family house or in Los Angeles. (Murphy did say there is a clue in the last three episodes about the new setting.) Also, there will be a whole new, but presumably just as freaky, opening credit sequence.