Hondo's Bar

Grand Theft Auto V

Maldron

Fuck that. It still brought some stuff to the table in terms of mechanics, and it was immersive as hell right down to the saturated filter. Baytor's right that it wasn't a big game, but it more than made up for it with atmosphere. Completely legitimate bridge between Liberty City & San Andreas.

You Miami locals are just going to have to cause some shit to give R* a hook/cultural thing to theme the next game around. Maybe a new Cuban Missile Crisis?

I don't mean the game mechanics, I mean the map. I didn't have a lot of fun in Vice City when I wasn't on a mission and though I thoroughly enjoyed it when I got a fast motorcycle I usually couldn't go more than a couple blocks before cars, people, or geography caused me to go flying over the handlebars, often to my doom because we were in a beach environment and my character couldn't fucking swim. This feeling returned when I went back to Vice City in Vice City stories, a game I almost never finished because it didn't hold my interest even though there was tons of fun stuff to do within, contrast this with my return to Liberty City in Liberty City Stories which was a lot more enjoyable.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
VIDEO GAMES: GRAND THEFT AUTO V - What Are The Critics Saying?

87138.jpg

Arguably the most anticipated video game of 2013 goes on sale tomorrow, but what have the critics been saying about Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V in the first wave of online reviews? Well, it should come as no surprise to learn that the word "masterpiece" is being used...a lot!

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 9/16/2013

1425324534756524547.jpg

We've said enough. Part of Grand Theft Auto V's magic is discovery, and enjoying the thrilling, unpredictable ride the story takes you on. Whether you're in the thick of a bank heist or exploring the wilderness listening to Johnny Cash on the country station, it always feels tight, refined, and polished. The world is breathtaking, the script is funny, the music is superb (both the licensed tracks and the atmospheric original score), and, most of all, it's really, really fun. [10/10]

SOURCE: CVG

Only time will tell whether it's enough to win over the GTA naysayers, but Rockstar North has clearly listened to criticisms of past games and delivered what's as close to the perfect sandbox as technologically possible. The hallmarks of the GTA series are all present, from the way the story is structured, to the explosive set pieces, use of stereotypes and humorous observations. And while we would be hesitant to say that this is a more mature Grand Theft Auto, it's certainly a new high for a series that has grown in confidence with each new instalment. With a great cast, a huge list of missions and activities, some novel new gameplay additions and one of the most stunning environments we've ever explored, Grand Theft Auto 5 is a masterpiece and a hugely impressive technological achievement. [*****]

SOURCE: Digital Spy

Yes, some people will hate GTA V. Some, like me, will thoroughly enjoy it while acknowledging its complications, its shortcomings as a narrative adventure. Last of Us says more about humanity in five minutes than GTA V does in its 70-plus missions. Five stars for such a troubled proposition? That'll confuse and anger a few people, I know it. But no one constructs worlds like Rockstar and this one is worth many, many hours of exploration. It is fun, so much guilty, ridiculous fun. It is beautiful to look at, it is jammed with ideas, and when the free add-on, Grand Theft Auto Online, comes out in October, it will offer a compelling multiplayer experience, where participants combine and face off in gigantic turf wars. [*****]

SOURCE: The Guardian

Grand Theft Auto V is not only a preposterously enjoyable video game, but also an intelligent and sharp-tongued satire of contemporary America. It represents a refinement of everything that GTA IV brought to the table five years ago. It’s technically more accomplished in every conceivable way, but it’s also tremendously ambitious in its own right. No other world in video games comes close to this in size or scope, and there is sharp intelligence behind its sense of humour and gift for mayhem. It tells a compelling, unpredictable, and provocative story without ever letting it get in the way of your own self-directed adventures through San Andreas. It is one of the very best video games ever made. [10/10]

SOURCE: IGN

Grand Theft Auto V is still an extraordinary technical achievement and a fabulous piece of entertainment. I’m not sure every aspect is an unqualified success, and its violent bitterness can be a little wearying, but this is a bold and scintillating full-stop to an explosive generation of video games. It dares the rest of the blockbuster industry to try and match its scope and, even with new consoles on the horizon, it may be some time before anything steps up. [*****]

SOURCE: The Telegraph

Come to Los Santos expecting to be surprised, then, but above all expect to lose yourself in the world. Even at this point I've not covered the full range of things you can do - how you can buy stocks ahead of assassination missions, knowing how the hit will affect the share price; the full-service car customisation options, Michael's hugely expensive therapy sessions - and after hours of play, it still throws surprises at you. Paired with storyline missions you actually want to replay - not something that could be said of many of GTA IV's - and you're looking at something that could hold up the next console generation all by itself, even without the considerable potential of GTA Online, arriving as the fourth option on the character-select wheel in two weeks' time. Rockstar's Xbox 360 swansong is probably the console's greatest technical achievement, and as such it's unmissable. [10/10]

Read more at http://www.comicbook...Wv6vjebGY8JB.99

• Upvote 1

It's a sad world we live in when a gamer calls Grand Theft Auto 4 a steaming pile of shit. Thematically different from its predecessors? Yes. A step down in scope from the grandiose quality of the previous game? Yes. A bit difficult to get into at first? Guilty. Bad game-play? No. Poor quality graphics? Not really. Good story in spite of losing the comic-bookishness of previous iterations? Yeah, great story in fact, those fucking endings man.

Rockstar has warned Xbox 360 gamers not to install the Grand Theft Auto 5 "play" disc.

On Xbox 360 the openworld game comes on two discs: one mandatory "install" disc and one "play" disc, both around 8GB in size. It's a similar situation to Forza 4, which also shipped on two discs on Xbox 360.

Prospective GTA5 owners - some of which already have the game as a result of early shipping from Amazon.co.uk - might have wanted to install both discs, but Rockstar recommends against it.

"For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc," tweeted Rockstar Support.

Then, "An 8GB install is required. For optimal performance, we recommend not installing the play disc."

Rockstar has promised more information soon. For now, the upshot is, with GTA5 on Xbox 360, you have to install disc one but run disc two from the drive.

yeah, i wanna say Halo 3 had the same warning? it was coded to access certain sections off the disc on the fly, and in these rare instances, the dev would claim accessing them on the HDD would actually slow that down.

i don't pretend to know enough about game development to get that, but i like that it's uncommon as i vastly prefer installing as much as possible for speed/wear & tear on the system.

Fucking awesome so far. Couple highlights (don't click the spoiler if you're not familiar with the mission. Also, when spoiler tagging be VERY specific about mission subjects before hand).

Franklin. Chop the dog. Van chase.

When he started humping that other dog mid mission I lost it.

Michael. Legalize weed guy.

WTF!? ALIENS!?

Michael. Yacht mission.

Fucking awesome when the boom swings out. Fucking awesome.

Hey guys.

I enjoy playing this videogame.

RPG elements that were found in San Andreas will not be making an appearance however, but you can customize clothing.

Dissapointed we're not getting a San Andreas Redux, but it sounds like it will probably be a good game in it's own right. I just really want those RPG elements back. FUCK YO PLOT.

God bless you sneaky motherfuckers. ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION, MOLYNEUX? THIS IS HOW YOU LIE TO PEOPLE!