Hondo's Bar

Google music store (US)

The NZA

“The Google Music service will continue to be free,” Jamie Rosenberg, Google’s head of digital content for Android, said. “Other cloud music services think you have to pay to stream music you own - we don’t.”

- Upload 20,000 songs into cloud storage

- Play them on any computer or an android smartphone

- No charge for using the service

- Google Plus integrated

- Eight million tracks available to purchase from Universal, EMI and Sony 99 cents - $1.29

- Five million+ tracks from independent labels

- Artist pages to allow anyone to set up and distribute their music - Google take 30% cut

- Google will give a free track every day, starting with David Bowie's Sound and Vision

- Mobile users to be able to charge tracks directly to their bills

- Other freebies available for subscribers include recordings of six live Rolling Stones gigs (Brussels Affair) and then one a month), as well as free content from Pearl Jam, Coldplay, the Dave Matthews band and Tiësto.

So.. is this finally the iTunes killer the world has been waiting for? Excluding the number of tracks, it sounds better than it in just about every way. Expect content to increase as the service develops.

Google opens Android music store to challenge Apple iTunes

Going social could be 'game changer' for Google Music

Google Music now available in US

Google opens Android music store in iTunes' face

I love how everything that goes into competition w/ the an Apple product in the last decade has been questioned as being a "_______ killer"-- iPod killer, iPhone killer, iPad killer, now iTunes killer. The media really needs to set their expectations a bit lower at this point. Maybe the media could pose the question: "Is this a feasibly sustainable competitor for iTunes?" But I guess that phrasing, while wildly more objective and accurate, isn't as sexy as labeling something a possible "____ killer."

/digressive commentary on today's lack of journalism in journalism

1) the tactic's not new, and as marketing (ugh) it works - calling your game a zelda/halo/mario/etc killer gets some attention, good or bad. i agree with you that i don't really dig it either, but it's clearly working cause it happens alla time.

2) i don't think enthusiast press is the same as journalism, but we could prolly do a whole thread on that. it's an argument i run into when talking about how deplorable game (and a lot've electronic) journalism is supposed to be, when half the writers openly weep at the prospect of getting gadgets early.

1. No, it's not a new tactic, but it's not working either. Zune ring a bell? How about Xoom or pretty much any other tablet PC that's hit the market? Sure, the DROID platform is giving serious competition to the iPhone, but no singular phone has been able to "kill" demand for the iPhone. The fact the media is labeling it a "killer" of anything has nothign to do w/ this new google service getting coverage. Anything google does gets press b/c they're one of the world's largest multi-media companies.

2. You just made my point for me. What the fuck is "enthusiast press"? Journalism is the reporting of facts in an objective, straightforward manner. (Atleast that's the best definition of it I can come up w/ off the top of my head.) There's too many commercials and opinions out there passing as "news." The Internet has made dissemination of information widespread and instantaneous. However, it's really deteriorated the quality of how that information is presented as actual "news."

Yeah, you should definitely thread this off somewhere else. . .

right; it's about market/mind-share, and the buzz that regular folks/fanboys/defense forces etc get from hearing something they love followed by "killer" gets attention. of course the underdog isn't going to accomplish this by a tagline alone, im saying it does what they want it to do. god, i have to go listen to bill hicks rant on marketing now.

and cmon, nothing could've saved the zune! wish you were here when bish was trying to sell it.

ill do an enthusiast press thread one day, but honestly, the subject kinda kills me.

Ha! I was thinking of the same Hicks rant when i first went tangential on the use of the word "killer" in this context. As for this actual Google service, I'm curious to see how it fairs in a competitive (and you could even say precariously saturated) media distribution marketplace. Pandora is free (w/ limited commercials), satellite radio is commercial free and pretty much standard in most cars, and the big bad wolf-- iTunes --basically invented online distribution of mainstream media not to mention all the free content w/ Podcasts.

And Zune coudln't have been all bad. I know Dr. Chikins bought one. Heh.

Ha! I was thinking of the same Hicks rant when i first went tangential on the use of the word "killer" in this context. As for this actual Google service, I'm curious to see how it fairs in a competitive (and you could even say precariously saturated) media distribution marketplace. Pandora is free (w/ limited commercials), satellite radio is commercial free and pretty much standard in most cars, and the big bad wolf-- iTunes --basically invented online distribution of mainstream media not to mention all the free content w/ Podcasts.

And Zune coudln't have been all bad. I know Dr. Chikins bought one. Heh.

It wasn't. Didn't have the selection that itunes had, though. Got one for a birthday present a while back.

Archived