Hondo's Bar

Bowling For Columbine

Awesome! I had the best of luck today, after seeing spirited away at the beach they had a screening of this and it was one of the best (if not the best) documentaries I've seen. It's by Micheal Moore (Roger and Me) and it's about gun control. And no, it's not just another sappy tragic look at the columbine shootings. He actually asks really good questions that I've never heard people bring up before and makes incredibly good points.

First thing, this documentary is absolutely fucking hilarious. The people he interviews are out of this world, and the entire thing just has this perfect sense of humor that points out the absurdity of it all. He finds perfect clips of southpark, chris rock, and various propaganda style NRA videos in between interviews. On the flipside, it's also pretty disturbing. He doesn't hesitate to show us some pretty fucked up images of violence.

He asks all the right questions like, why is it that here we have over 11,000 gun related deaths a year, but in canada, where they have 7 million guns in 10 million households, very similar racial diversity, worse poverty, and the same violent entertainment, there are only 38 gun related deaths a year? He can point out a lot of the things that aren't the problem, but he ultimately cant answer what the hell makes americans so violent. I'd love to see how the more republican folks on the board take to this one. It's essentially unbiased, Micheal Moore is a card carrying member of the NRA, after all, but it's very critical towards that side of the arguement. This one comes very very highly reccomended, it's currently only playing at the beach, but if there was ever a reason to haul your ass over there, go for this and spirited away.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this one finally. Great Movie. I will definitely buy it on DVD. How can a movie be so funny at times while being so serious at the same time. this movie didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but it articulated it so well, and brought it all together perfectly, which is so small feat. I now know that if Michael Moore ever interviews me, I'm no doubt in danger of looking like an idiot or a loon.

• 4 months later...

Finally got to see this one...hot damn, this thing (in my mind, somehow) goes up there with "Waking Life" for "brilliant fuckin flick no one's watching".

Moore isnt presenting a whole lotta new stuff here, but as always its the packaging: cinematically, he's tossing in all the cultural elements to really get to the meat of a problem.

Junker's gonna love this for its movie value; socially, i thinki its sharp as hell. Moore's making connections here i didnt even think of, and not backing down when the situations get painfully awkward (K-Mart, Heston etc).

Junker's also right in that this guy doesnt shy away from things that get his point across....it maintains a fair amount of objective balance here too, anyone walking away from this thing accusing it of being too far on the left wasnt really paying attention.

Sign me up for this one soon as its on DVD, and i wanna see more from this guy.

This is an absolutely must see. Theres only word I can think to describe it and thats important.

Its the only film I've ever gone to see four times in the cinema.In fact I'd never seen any other film more than twice before.

Absolutely amazing. Moore is a legend

Still trying to find the movie, considering all I've heard about it, it sounds up my alley, I'll even see it in spite of Michael Moore. He's an amazing filmmaker, but he is an absolute jackass, (at least to Billy republican here) But at least it was nice seeing him make an abject fool of himself at the oscars.

Back to the point anyone know where I can find this flick in Miami?

-George

The Oscar winning flicks are gonna get wider release soon. I even saw a trailer for bowling for columbine pretty recently, I forget what it was in front of... the hours I think. So expect it to open in some more theaters soon. Oh, and he didnt make a fool out of anything, he mostly got a standing ovation... reports say that the boos were from a very small minority.

Im somewhat curious as to who booed specifically, usually the starts gettin political makes everyone nauseous but its Moore, the man's done the research, this wasnt trendy shit he was throwin out there anyway. Kept shit lively, i think.

Well, Moore has a bit to say about that

from imdb.com

"Those were all my friends and relatives. I said Hollywood has got such a bad rap for being a bunch of left wingers it would be really cool if a bunch of you booed. But, seriously, do your jobs - don't report there was a split decision in the hall because five wild people booed."