Hondo's Bar

Binary Domain

The NZA

so besides Yakuza 5 (which is being built from what they've done here, apparently), this is what Sega's team has been up to - initially i was unsure, as it was looking like a Gears clone, but this particular trailer got me more interested: if you're gonna ape a WRPG, you can do a lot worse than Mass Effect 2, and it looks like they're trying to implement the loyalty thing a lot more thoroughly.

the Snatcher angle doesn't hurt, either. this one and SH collection look like my early 2012 purchases, so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I played through the demo just a while ago. I had not heard, or read anything about this game, just figured it was another 3rd person shooter in a world full of 3rd person shooters and it is essentially.

First off I want to gripe about accidently shooting a teammate and their feelings towards you taking a hit. You could be firing away at an enemy and a teammate will get up and run IN FRONT of you while you're firing for no reason and you hit them, they bitch at you and the game tells you shooting them is bad and eventually they won't listen to your orders.

Which is kinda of cool how they handle that with the rest of the game. Everyone so often they will ask you something and you have two options (basically agree or disagree) and based upon your answers their feelings towards you will rise or fall.

The shooing itself is run of the mill, the enemies are pretty standard except for the mini-boss in the first lvl. The guns in the demo are standard faire as well, but there is potential for them to go outside the box with some of the weapons, hopefully. The levels are bright and pretty, if not somewhat cramped and linear.

All in all, I think will be a pretty standard 3rd person shooter. They try a few new things, but nothing seems revolutionary or anything like that. It is fun, and I will most certianly play through it at some point, but I don't think this game will have a long last impact, unless they kept some really cool stuff out of the demo.

Oh there is also an upgrade unit where you can buy some light rpg progression for your squad, weapons upgrades, and ammo etc.

ah, i didnt play said demo today, but i think your take is what ive heard most about from it. it has me thinking why some devs/publishers are hesitant to put out a demo, if they dont think they can convey the game's meat in it.

from what i played of the japanese one, you're right about the gameplay & all that - it's not doing anything terribly different, i think it's gonna be the squad thing (loyalty/etc) that sets it out, if anything. im hoping that plays a bigger part in character/plot development as it goes on, but i guess we'll see. did you dig the way targeting certain areas destroys those bits? i thought that was neat.

Actually yeah, I was pretty impressed with that. Blowing off the arm they hold the gun with and leave them alone and they will go pick up the gun with their other arm and start shooting again. And shooting off the head doesn't mean a kill either.

I have no problem with a demo not showing off everything new the game has to offer. I can also understand why someone would play the demo and not have a care in the world about the game afterwards. So it is kinda of a catch-22 with putting out a demo sometimes. I just think people shouldn't have such high expectations with a demo or a beta.

Like I said, I'll play it,I don't think I will buy it new on launch day, but it is on my list for sure. But I still have to beat Kingdoms of Amalur before Mass Effect 3 comes out.

Archived