Hondo's Bar

Roger Ebert breaks down why movies theaters are failing

The NZA

1. Obviously, the absence of a must-see mass-market movie. : Yup

2. Ticket prices are too high. : That and the entertainment dollar has been made FAR more efficient in our digital era.

3. The theater experience. The ADHD generation will be the down fall of many "quiet" entertainments. Not only that, people have socially evolved to be FAR more antisocial ( RL, not digital ) than ever before. omg more humans? ew

4. Refreshment prices. No surprise there, this is their very lifeline. BigBudgetBlockbusters paid for by the consumer

5. Competition from other forms of delivery. Not a major factor, the DVD industry is the one suffering the most here. Then again, maybe that's why studios are shafting theaters even more...

6. Lack of choice. True, but in the era of megaplexes, bad choice is still provides choice. I used to live in front of an old style movie theater. One screen, seating over 1000

I only go to theaters around once a month, but I still do go for the "going out" experience. Sneak in your own food and/or do a Sunday Matinee triple and it makes it that much more cost effective :D

Archived