Hondo's Bar

Next gen systems you gotta have

The NZA

Next gen is starting OMG OMG  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TynSy.jpg

it begins! well, 3DS showed up a bit early, but it's running strong now too - i don't think any of us went in at launch did we? either way, i'm still betting sony (MS too) don't come out of the gate without a $400 or less model, guess we'll see.

Vita - February

WU - Q3 this year, bets are on October or so

Nextbox - dev kits are out, rumors have it debuting this year @ E3, so 2013

PS4 - 2014 until we hear otherwise?

i know we don't know shit about actual specs or launch titles yet for anything past the Vita, but as the next cycle finally starts going, which do you see yourself going in on (so long as the price is right/other factors?) and why? i expect brand loyalty (and continued investments in PSN/XBLA libraries etc) but put your reasons too!

WU i'm in for day 1 so long as it doesnt go higher than i see a nintendo system going for; again even when 3rd parties dont show up (hopefully not the case this time, with iwata courting them lately) i always dig the 1st party stuff, plus rumors of Pikmin 3 at launch get my hyped.

PS4 i admittedly lean towards, but they actually did a good job this gen of building a stable of first and 2nd parties that make games i like, with the tragic exception of Ueda leaving team ICO. still, both they & MS have to show me a price and some software before i can commit - i used to love buying day 1 just for the fuck of it, even when i knew software sucked most times for much of year 1, but the buy-in price has gotten a bit much for me, and hardware revisions/losing backwards compatibility...i'll have my eye on both.

what about you?

Nintendo burned me with the Wii, I don't plan on picking up one of their non-handhelds.

As far as Xbox/PS, I'll get whichever one of comes out first. I can't stand spending years looking at next gen games on the internet just for some brand loyalty. This gen, I wanted to play something better in 2005. The time investment in that console made the other one practically redundant by the time it actually came out (and even longer before it had anything worthwhile on it).

And I totally bought my 3DS on launch day

I want a Vita, but NOT bad enough for day 1.

i stand corrected! we did have a day 1 ambassador.

you're prolly gonna get the nextbox then, i just cant see sony jumping in earlier (do they even have devkits out yet? i forget) - and i get you, but again it's usually six months in or beyond before i see games online that i gotta get...my earliest "i want in" memory of this gen was 2T, metalheart, newt and others doing Ultimate Alliance co-op.

i'd also like to retract my prior statement about "as long as the price is right..."

6YeWH.png

DsHjz.jpg

god i wish it was real, now i have to figure out how to paint one

I am actually VERY interested in getting a Vita. PS2 emulation is the biggest selling point for me. As for the nextgen consoles, I am pretty sure I will get all of them eventually, but I have learned not to get the first round of any new console/handheld. Though like most other people on here I will probably end up getting the new Wii until quite a while after it comes out. Something tells me it will still be the dumping grounds for shitty kiddy shovelware. Especially considering that people are still falling for that shit after buying a Wii and being dissapointed and then getting Kinect and being dissapointed.

one day ill do a proper wii games (lotta 3rd party ones too) ya'll missed out on. there's a metric fuckton of shovelware, but this happened to ps1/2 as well; the most popular system always gets it.

aren't you kind've assuming the Vita will work as a ps2 emulator though? i mean, PSP did so for 1 very well, but id have to wait on the homebrew scene for that bit, i'd think.

at this point, if you're interested in WU id say hold off, should have full BC there and $10 games helps if launch/year 1 is slow.

i hope you dig Madworld more than i did, though - art style's great and i love that team, but it got repetitive quick. didn't help that i found House of the Dead: Overkill around that time and had way more fun too.

I read in a magazine (and you know how true they always are) that the Vita will have a ps2 emulator, that is why PSN is starting to release the ps2 games.

On a side note, I really dug Madworld. It was repetative, but really what video game isnt. It has great style, was actually funny, and was fun to play. So was House of the Dead: Overkill, but I would pick Mad World over HotD. That plus the Zelda games, plus a few rpg's exclusive to Wii plus a few other random games I can't remember is really all the Wii had going for it. I doubt an upgrade to HD will mean anything other than getting Sony's throw away trim from it's Move catalog.

I read in a magazine (and you know how true they always are) that the Vita will have a ps2 emulator, that is why PSN is starting to release the ps2 games.

that doesn't mean anything though; they sell PS2 games on PSN now, any PS3 without backwards compatibility can play them (and only those titles).

That plus the Zelda games, plus a few rpg's exclusive to Wii plus a few other random games I can't remember is really all the Wii had going for it. I doubt an upgrade to HD will mean anything other than getting Sony's throw away trim from it's Move catalog.

again, if you want, i'll make a thread for wii games because that's categorical untrue. as for the WU, i'm not even sure how you've arrived at that when a) we don't even know the final specs b) it's not motion-control only and c) move is basically getting wii-ports right now.

also, turns out we might know sooner than we thought - PS4 & Nextbox rumored to now both debut @ E3 2012? << holy shit if true, summer is way too far off now.

I am just telling you what I read about the Vita. Not the part about Sony releasing PS2 games on the PSN now ONLY for Vita, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. Just that the Vita will have the ability to play ps2 games, like the psp can do with ps1 games now.

Now I am not saying that the Wii didn't have it's share of good games, but compared to the other major consoles it was lacking sorely. And it's not like I haven't owned a Wii and are just talking out of hand. I have had a Wii more than once, and I have played just about every game that I thought was worthwhile on it. Didn't beat them all, but they were all played for hours at least. So make a thread and we can make a list of all the good Wii games. It will be shorter than both the ps3 and 360 lists though for sure.

As for the WU, I was making a joke about it, I didn't know you had such a hard-on for Nintendo. Stop taking it so personally lol.

...i'm just saying make sure you have something official (hacker-scene wise) confirm VIta will emulate PS2 games (anywhere near playable) before you jump, if that's a big part of your wish there man. PS2 emulation isn't as easy as PS1 was due to its hardware, it's even sketchy on PC depending on the title.

and yeah, the list sure won't be that of the ps3/360, i'm just throwing it out there because a lotta hondonians talk about how their wii's collecting dust, and there's more to be found there then i think most are aware of. i still dug my gamecube better.

@ WU - *shrug* i really can't tell man, with a new cycle going i just assume trolling even when it's not newtype just because that's like the internet default.

it's bad out there, man. they're already talking about the nextbox being a media device that doesn't really play games, and the PS4 being a thousand dollar 3D box or something. you dont even know bro

The next Xbox will be the only system to get. This gen microsoft has been consistant in getting out quality products, and now with the kinect, which just blew my mind, they can only leap forward. PS3 didn't get good until... well when did it? And the Wii? Nintendo hasn't been good since duck hunt if you ask me. Next gen will be about bigger graphics and seeing what they can do with that, and microsoft will and cannot fail imo. Their greatness is only highlighted with their exclusives which NOBODY can touch. When the next Halo comes out, I challenge anyone to tell me that it won't be game of the year.. nay the decade, material. Oh and now that Final Fantasy isn't console exclusive anymore (Sorry sony!) that is only fuel for this awsome fire that is coming. FF13 was simply amazing though so that will be very hard to top.

The next Xbox will be the only system to get. This gen microsoft has been consistant in getting out quality products, and now with the kinect, which just blew my mind, they can only leap forward. PS3 didn't get good until... well when did it? And the Wii? Nintendo hasn't been good since duck hunt if you ask me. Next gen will be about bigger graphics and seeing what they can do with that, and microsoft will and cannot fail imo. Their greatness is only highlighted with their exclusives which NOBODY can touch. When the next Halo comes out, I challenge anyone to tell me that it won't be game of the year.. nay the decade, material. Oh and now that Final Fantasy isn't console exclusive anymore (Sorry sony!) that is only fuel for this awsome fire that is coming. FF13 was simply amazing though so that will be very hard to top.

You are joking right?? Kinect AND ff13 were both amazing? The new Halo game of decade?

BLASPHEMY!!

Archived