Hondo's Bar

Resident Evil 5, or How Was THAT Movie a Hit‽‽

Keth

Eh. I say the success of Louis CK is due more to putting out quality product to his fans at an EXTREMELY fair price in the most hassle free manner possible to date. Of course if it was put out on iTunes it would be different. First, the price would be more b/c of a "middle man." Second, the download would require the user to DL, install, and set up Apple's proprietary software. And third, the DL from iTunes likely would have region restrictions on it for different countries.

Louis CK's model (and his point) would then be completely negated if he would have first and/or only gone through iTunes. His customers would be forced to pay a higher price and, for lack of a better word, endure more hassle in their purchase of his product. I think he has the right idea and realizes what the MPAA and the RIAA do not: he's essentially competing with a FREE version of his product, which is often times easier to access than the pay version--every form of digital media is, to a degree, competing in the same way. So Louis CK came up with a compromise, make the the product available in the highest quality available, in an easily accessible manner, and for an exteemely fair price (less than most fast food meals). So he really eliminated pretty much every major reason a potentially paying customer could have for NOT paying for his product.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Dude...you have no idea. People were waiting outside waiting for me to open for that movie. Wanna see something even worse? This one was a constant source of confusion for me, and it will always be what I remember from that job. So many people asking, nay BEGGING, for this movie. Never enough copies in.

PAUL BLART

I remember you tellin me that people went similarly apeshit over Wild Hogs. And then we'd recommend good movies and they'd comeback all butthurt. I can't imagine the riots that'll ensue when they can't get their hands on Jack and Jill.

Mortiis, like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the ratio of the number of people who SAW Scott Pilgrim to the number who PAID TO SEE Scoot Pilgrim is smaller than most movies, especially movies like Resident Evil: Afterlife, and while it was never going to make James Cameron money, if the ratio had been made the same as your average flick while keeping the number of people who saw if fixed, that movie would have made a fair bit more coin.

I remember you tellin me that people went similarly apeshit over Wild Hogs. And then we'd recommend good movies and they'd comeback all butthurt. I can't imagine the riots that'll ensue when they can't get their hands on Jack and Jill.

Edited by Reverend Jax
  • Upvote 1

To be fair, I am the 1% when it came to people who watched that movie knowing full well what it was, and enjoying it. Don't get me wrong: I don't own the movie, Amber bought the first one at a flea market a few years ago and it hasn't been touched since and a few years down the line if they have the series pack for like $5 in the bargain bin at wal-mart I'll be honest I might consider paying money for it. But I like bad movies, I like fucking terrible movies like The Video Dead and Blood Freak and the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia. It wasn't terrible... for a Paul W.S. Anderson movie... that isn't Event Horizion... or Soldier... or Death Race (Yes I legitimately liked all 3 of those movies and offer no apology for that.)

And these movies keep getting dumber, I blame it a lot on good trailers because these movies have A-FUCKING-MAZING trailers and even for discriminating fans who know better it's hard not to watch it and think "this is gonna be the one that turns it all around." I know because I just watched that trailer and that big retarded thought is just running naked around my brain making fire engine noises and flailing its arms while my common sense and sense of reason chase it around with clubs at a comically sped-up pace while Yakkety Sax plays.

The other thing about these movies that keeps making discriminating fans come back is that Paul Wind Shield. Anderson isn't a bad director per-se. Basically if you were to somehow make John Carpenter and Michael Bay the same person you'd get something close to Paul Wilkinson Submarine Anderson. There's a lot of these movies that works and they tend to stick out in your mind more than the parts that don't. Basically imagine an immaculately created frame carved of the finest materials covered in nothing but runny fly-specked dogshit, that's Resident Evil in a nutshell.

I had to respect that his first act upon coming back after being gone for one abysmal sequel and one okay one was to look at all the crazy bullshit with magical zombie powers and clones and go "Okay, so we're going to tie that shit up in the first 15 minutes. Afterlife was the first movie since the first (not counting the incredible first 20 minutes of Apocalypse which remains the only good part of that movie) that felt like a proper zombie movie even if it still tried to do that action movie thing and to be fair a good chunk of the retardation of the storyline is as much Capcom's fault as it is the screenwriter's. I still maintain that Afterlife was better than the two in the interim but it was a bad movie and shows a waning trend in good movies that cost a lot of money. Still I don't see a terrible amount of enjoyment in enjoying the good parts (and the bad parts just for the sheer fun of it) of a crappy movie.

Now if you'll exscuse me I have to go polish my copy of Psycho 3.

I've been putting off posting in this thread long enough I think.

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

....they tried to make a Resident Evil movie that worked AROUND the plot of the games. Not too bad a job, even Japan stuck some of that stuff in the timeline. I kept going to see them as an RE fan and watched them mack-truck their way through my favorite video game series and just when I thought it could not get any worse (sometime between 3-4ish) I had a revelation. One might even go so far as to call it a...Resident Evil Revelation.

Stop fucking thinking about the games.

It was so simple I can't believe I had not thought about it before. Just forget the games completely and go watch this over the top special effect zombie flick. I continued to go see them opening weekend and unless 5 is just a crap-fest I'll continue doing so. Haters can hate all they want but *I'm* the guy who doesn't really do action flicks. I was a horror junkie as a kid so when it was Christmas time I was watching Gremlins instead of Die Hard. I finally saw Die Hard a few years back for the first time it was o.k but not really my thing. The RE movies might not be your thing, great I get that...but numbers mean something here.

It may just be about shooting zombies but how many really good action movies are coming out these days? Hell one could argue ARE "action" movies really ever GOOD or are they judged on how FUN they are. I don't mean that negatively at all either. Case and point, RE might not be good but I have FUN going to see them with my friends.

Edited by Bindusara

Ahhhh, I haven't seen it either. It could be the modern Maltese Falcon. From what I've gleamed though, it doesn't seem to be the fun kind of bad, just the painful kind. And the people hungering for it weren't looking for an ironic kick.

And Shaolin Soccer is a brilliant masterpiece, you monster.

Shaolin Soccer is great don't get me wrong, but if you're going for Stephen Chow (Chaoi) I just saw King of Beggars on netflix and it is another great movie by him. Everyone has heard about or seen Shaolin Soccer by now (except Bin, bless his heart) so I figured bumping another one of his films most of us may or may not have seen would be better than just saying..."Yeah Shaolin Soccer is great"

I saw another one, years ago, where he was a cook. God of Cookery, I think it was called? Something like that.

Anyway, it had it's moments.

I don't remember what my point was...

Stephen fucking Chow I believe it was. Thanks for the recommendation Morty. Gonna shoot that in the queue later :D

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

That looks so mind bogglingly stupid that I actually want to see it. I gotta give it to MIlla, she still looks good and is able to crank these out like this. Would love to see her keep doing the badass acton thing with some different roles.

I'm excited for it. Not because it looks good, but because it just kinda started embracing its over the top popcorn sillyness and I dig that. I'm a huge RE fanboy and even I can't justify the shit they do in these films - but I don't care.

...it's more than Capcom is doing with RE these days. (hey, 7 isn't out yet)