Hondo's Bar

The 2012 Academy Awards

Nominations are out. 9 Best picture nominees based on a new algorithm that allows for at least 5 and at most 10 nominees based on a threshold that any nominee has to meet.

Interestingly, since the creation of the Best Animated Feature category, Pixar has had a film nominated every year except for 2002 when they didn't release a film (there was a time when Pixar didn't put out a film every year). They had only ever lost twice: in 2001 Monsters, Inc lost to Shrek and in 2006 Cars lost to Happy Feet (only one of those loses was deserved in my opinion). Then, in the past two years, Pixar's Best Animated Film entries (Up and Toy Story 3) were so strong that they were also nominated for Best Picture (this started when they went to 10 Best Picture nominees, so in fairness, I think Ratatouille and WALL-E would have been contenders for that category if there had been 10 slots). But this year, Pixar's film, Cars 2, didn't get a Best Animated Feature nomination in a field of 5 films, and Dreamworks had BOTH their 2011 entries nominated.

Best Picture

The Artist Thomas Langmann, Producer

The Descendants Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close Scott Rudin, Producer

The Help Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers

Hugo Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers

Midnight in Paris Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers

Moneyball Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers

The Tree of Life Nominees to be determined

War Horse Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers

Actor In a Leading Role

Demián Bichir A Better Life

George Clooney The Descendants

Jean Dujardin The Artist

Gary Oldman Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Brad Pitt Moneyball

Actress In a Leading Role

Glenn Close Albert Nobbs

Viola Davis The Help

Rooney Mara The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Meryl Streep The Iron Lady

Michelle Williams My Week With Marilyn

Actor In a Supporting Role

Kenneth Branagh My Week With Marilyn

Jonah Hill Moneyball

Nick Nolte Warrior

Christopher Plummer Beginners

Max von Sydow Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Actress In a Supporting Role

Bérénice Bejo The Artist

Jessica Chastain The Help

Melissa McCarthy Bridesmaids

Janet McTeer Albert Nobbs

Octavia Spencer The Help

Animated Feature Film

A Cat in Paris Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli

Chico & Rita Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal

Kung Fu Panda 2 Jennifer Yuh Nelson

Puss in Boots Chris Miller

Rango Gore Verbinski

Cinematography

The Artist Guillaume Schiffman

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Jeff Cronenweth

Hugo Robert Richardson

The Tree of Life Emmanuel Lubezki

War Horse Janusz Kaminski

Art Direction

The Artist Laurence Bennett (Production Design); Robert Gould (Set Decoration)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Stuart Craig (Production Design); Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration)

Hugo Dante Ferretti (Production Design); Francesca Lo Schiavo (Set Decoration)

War Horse Rick Carter (Production Design); Lee Sandales (Set Decoration)

Costume Design

Anonymous Lisy Christl

The Artist Mark Bridges

Hugo Sandy Powell

Jane Eyre Michael O'Connor

W.E. Arianne Phillips

Directing

The Artist Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants Alexander Payne

Hugo Martin Scorsese

Midnight in Paris Woody Allen

The Tree of Life Terrence Malick

Documentary Feature

Hell and Back Again Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner

If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky

Pina Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel

Undefeated TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

Documentary Short

The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin

God is the Bigger Elvis Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson

Incident in New Baghdad James Spione

Saving Face Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

Film Editing

The Artist Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius

The Descendants Kevin Tent

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall

Hugo Thelma Schoonmaker

Moneyball Christopher Tellefsen

Foreign Language Film

Belgium, "Bullhead" Michael R. Roskam, director

Canada, "Monsieur Lazhar" Philippe Falardeau, director

Iran, "A Separation" Asghar Farhadi, director

Israel, "Footnote" Joseph Cedar, director

Poland, "In Darkness" Agnieszka Holland, director

Makeup

Albert Nobbs Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin

The Iron Lady Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

Music (Original Score)

The Adventures of Tintin John Williams

The Artist Ludovic Bource

Hugo Howard Shore

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Alberto Iglesias

War Horse John Williams

Music (Original Song)

"Man or Muppet" from THE MUPPETS Music and Lyric by Bret McKenzie

“Real in Rio” from RIO Music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown
Lyric by Siedah Garrett

Short Film (Animated)

Dimanche/Sunday Patrick Doyon

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg

La Luna Enrico Casarosa

A Morning Stroll Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe

Wild Life Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

Short Film (Live Action)

Pentecost Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane

Raju Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren

The Shore Terry George and Oorlagh George

Time Freak Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey

Tuba Atlantic Hallvar Witzø

Sound Editing

Drive Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Ren Klyce

Hugo Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl

War Horse Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

Sound Mixing

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson

Hugo Tom Fleischman and John Midgley

Moneyball Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin

War Horse Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

Visual Effects

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson

Hugo Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning

Real Steel Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg

Rise of the Planet of the Apes Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett

Transformers: Dark of the Moon Dan Glass, Brad Friedman, Douglas Trumbull and Michael Fink

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

The Descendants Screenplay by Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash

Hugo Screenplay by John Logan

The Ides of March Screenplay by George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon

Moneyball Screenplay by Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Story by Stan Chervin

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Screenplay by Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

Writing (Original Screenplay)

The Artist Written by Michel Hazanavicius

Bridesmaids Written by Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig

Margin Call Written by J.C. Chandor

Midnight in Paris Written by Woody Allen

A Separation Written by Asghar Farhadi

Some weird shit in there. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? That on a lot of people's worst of the year lists. If I want to see Tom Hanks fall out of a skyscraper I'll fucking push him off. Also, no Tin Tin in animated? I've read that a lot of people are saying that mo cap doesn't count as animation. I don't really see that argument but that is the only thing that makes sense to me.

On documentaries, Sarah Palin's propaganda film "The Undefeated" is NOT nominated for shit except a special place in hell. "Undefeated" is some documentary about inner city football. On other docs, I'm glad to see paradise lost 3 in there; I haven't seen it yet but part 1 and 2 are fantastic and these filmmakers basically got three wrongfully accused kids off of Death Row and got it all on tape. I wonder, does Werner Herzog need to wrestle a bear himself to get a fucking Documentary Oscar? He keeps releasing some of the best documentary films ever made and getting totally ignored. Also, no Errol Morris (Tabloid), Steve James (The Interrupters, which has like 99% on RT)? I get the feeling that they don't give a shit how these things are mad,e only what they're about.

Of course they do a similar thing with foreign. Some good movies, but a lot of "issue heavy" shit. Religion, immigration, the obligatory movie about the holocaust. They generally don't nominate shit like the cool Turkish cop movie "Once upon a time in Anapolia" the revenge flick "The Skin I live in" or the confusing relationship drama "Certified Copy." I guess people see foreign movies to learn shit about other cultures? Meh, fuck that.

Otherwise, The Artist is super likable and will probably win best pic. I suspect that it wont win much for acting; I still think the academy wants people to talk in movies to warrant awards. Anyway, while it's all a bunch of bullshit, the filmmakers who win will get more money and resources to make more shit so I generally pay attention.

On documentaries, Sarah Palin's propaganda film "The Undefeated" is NOT nominated for shit except a special place in hell. "Undefeated" is some documentary about inner city football.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't want to believe it was the Sarah Palin film!!

(Nice Sewer Shark profile pic btw, never noticed it b4!)

Agreed, Jax and Junker: I'm surprised neither Cars 2 nor Tin-Tin got Best Animated Feature Film nominations. Not that either were necessarily worthy, but were they really worse than Puss In Boots?

I say HUGO is the best film, but The Artist will win. And the Academy is late to the party w/ Marty, so they may give him a second Best Director win, but I doubt it. I haven't seen The Descendants or Tree of Life yet, but my early prediction would be The Artist nabs a Best Director win as well.

I think Oldman will take Best Actor. No clue as to the other acting categories. Plummer or von Sydow may take it for Supporting Actor. It is interesting they put the female lead of The Artist in the Supporting Actress category though.

It is interesting they put the female lead of The Artist in the Supporting Actress category though.

Evidently the studio picks which category (lead or supporting) they want a performance to be considered for, and will sometimes hedge their bets thinking that if they might have a shot win supporting, but not lead, or they might get the nom for supporting, but wouldn't even get the nom for lead. ConsiderHeilee Steinfeld's performance in last year's True Grit. I'm willing to bet she appeared in over 90% of the frames of celluloid for that film, but the studio push for her to be nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category, either because they thought she had a chance to win it, or because they thought if they campaign for her to be nominated for Best Lead Actress, she wouldn't even be nominated.

(Nice Sewer Shark profile pic btw, never noticed it b4!)

Junkerseed had gone the longest time of any Hondonian without changing his avatar. I never thought the day would come. And Sewer Shark...man, the memories! Full motion video, that's the furture of gaming my 10 year old self thought.

I think I finally changed my avatar in the spirit of me actually hoping to keep posting somewhat consistently, as I have often come back for like 3 posts and fallen off. I will never forget the day that me and my bro got the Sega Cd and completed the journey from Dogmeat to Beachbum in one glorious day of 64 color, 320 × 224 bliss. IMO I think the dude who played Ghost was snubbed at the Oscar noms in 1992.

Archived