Hondo's Bar

Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Promise

Reverend Jax

For those that didn't know, the story of Avatar Aang is being continued in comic book form with a mini series in three digest-size parts, bridging the gap between the end of the original series, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and its sequel, Avatar: The Legend of Korra, with critical backstory to set up how the world in Korra, 70 years after the original series, comes to be.

18604.jpg

The first part comes out in about a week, and I've preordered it, but I downloaded a leaked copy to read.

As a huge fan of the mythology, I really enjoyed this comic, which does a lot to add to the canon, which is something that can't really be said for the last comic (The Lost Adventure), which was full of short stories that took place between the beginning and the end of the original series.

They hired an award-winning indie comic writer, Gene Luen Yang, who was a fan of the show, to author the story, with guidence and consultation from series creators, Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, and I think it probably made a big difference. The author has said in interviews that he saw the Fire Nation as loosely based on Meiji Era Japan, and so he did some research on how the Japanese had to pull back its occupation of Taiwan and several Chinese cities as reference.

Anyway, Part 1 got be psyched for Part 2, which is coming out in May. I think fans of the show should check it out.

Edited by Reverend Jax
Image link broken

Yeah, I think it's worth a read. There a few things for the new series it's started to set up (it's only part 1 of 3 so far). It's setting up how the city that is the main setting for the show, Republic City, a melting pot of all the nations, is coming to be. Also, the police force of the city are Metalbender cops, and it's shown how Toph has founded her own Metalbending Academy. It's good stuff and maintains the feel and tone of the show.

• 4 months later...