Hondo's Bar

The trailer for this one hit a while back and got me interested. Seems to be like a cross between Akira and Heroes shot in documentary "found footage" style. Looks pretty cool...

http://youtu.be/i-M5Qx57_UU

But this marketing stunt they did for the film recently was even cooler:

http://youtu.be/dcDN409ZBv4

How 'bout the power of flight. That do anything for ya? That's levitation homes.. How about the power to kill a yak from 200 yds away. With mind bullets!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Douchebags with super powers- The Movie

Wasn't that Handcock? Nah, I'm mildly curious about this. My comic book bias, of course, getting the best of me. I honestly just don't want another shaky-camera franchise ala Paranormal Activity, which is what this seems like. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Panch

Pretty fuckin cool. Quite unbelievable at times and I'm not talking about kids with powers. Some of the "high school" actors seemed old. That's my only complaint. Other than that. Great. Fucking birth of a villain, man. That's how you does it.

It's not going to win any awards or anything, but this is what will happen if people get powers in the real world. It's also a movie geared to teens, but I think it has to be. Young people are trying to discover themselves and gaining powers is kinda like that. How you are brought up, though, shapes how you'll become. And if all you've felt is pain.... That's one hell of a recipe for evil.

Saw this tonight sight completely unseen and loved it. I do have a fondness for found footage movies though and the parts you invariably get where you're left wondering who's filming right now and WHYY?! were kept to a minimum and fairly well addressed. I'm suprised noone's pointed out that the thing is almost scene-for scene Episodes 1-3 though.

Volkswagon Beetle playing the role of Padme is about the only inconsistency we found

Going to go see this tomorrow. Going with someone that wanted to see Episode I in 3D, and I was able to negociate to see this instead. I feel like I've already won.

Heh. I saw both last night and Chronicle was the clear winner. Saw a cam version, but I will make amends w/ studio gods by buying it on bluray.

And I don't have the same reverence for Akira as axls and his anime fanboy ilk, so this movie actually made me think that an adapted version of that could be done. Too bad if it does come out now millions of teens will think Akira is ripping off Chronicle.

Heh. I saw both last night and Chronicle was the clear winner. Saw a cam version, but I will make amends w/ studio gods by buying it on bluray.

I wonder if we saw the same copy. :2T:

Yeah, I figured because of the filming style I wouldn't lose much by seeing a lower res version. Good for a cam though. My only bitch was at the climax, shit got kind of hard to follow.

Likely so, thrizzle. I was planning to see it in the theater, but like I wrote earlier, saw Ep. 1. 3D instead (peer pressure is a bitch). I also figured the same as you regarding the cam quality and have the same complaint regarding the film's climax. But that just means I should enjoy the bluray all the more.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an in-depth analysis of the film from Ebert's far-flung correspondents blog. While perhaps a bit over-thought, it is interesting reading if you've seen the film. And while not really that spoilerish, I'd definitely recommend waiting until you've seen the movie to read it.

Josh Trank's "Chronicle" is the kind of film that curious teenage boys dedicate their hopes and dreams to, before succumbing to thoughts about health insurance and car payments. It advertises itself as a small movie about a few giggling, frowning high schoolers. The movie starts out as a curious plastic toy. Along the way, however, it carefully reveals itself as a colossal amusement park of screams and shouts. Don't let anyone spoil this movie for you, because it is the cult film of its generation.
  • 4 months later...