Hondo's Bar

i ♥ the 80s

Panch

I've come to unanimous decision that the 80s is the greatest era of music. Ever. I'm sure we have similar threads on the subject, but I can't find em. Hopefully this thread can be the one stop shop for all 80s love (and doesn't get merged). First up is my all time favorite 80s song. Imagine how happy I was when I was driving around, shooting people drive-by style in the Miami based gameland of Vice City. I associate this song with my mom and killing people. Enjoy!

maaaan...i dunno.

you sure that ain't nostalgia talking? so much of the 80's was one-hit wonders, but the stuff that had staying power for me (Micheal Jackson, Genesis, The Police etc) still feels timeless, i'll give it that.

my contribution:

and in honor of m'girl LL:

Naaaaaaaah brah.

The 80's were, by and large, completely retarded. At least in terms of pop music. There was some really good shit going down elsewhere, which I will post later in order to maintain some cohesion. This post is about silliness. You're looking at it through rose tinted glasses and cherry picking.

Okay, that last one was actually pretty awesome.

Hey do you guys like Huey Lewis and The News?

In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself!

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that, axels?

It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity.

Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since, it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Logan, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. NZA, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. NZA, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Logan, get down on your knees so NZA can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. NZA, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Upvote 1

Naaaaaaaah brah.

The 80's were, by and large, completely retarded. At least in terms of pop music. There was some really good shit going down elsewhere, which I will post later in order to maintain some cohesion. This post is about silliness. You're looking at it through rose tinted glasses and cherry picking.

Okay, that last one was actually pretty awesome.

Oh come on, did Journey kill your sensei or something. Steve Perry is a douche and he sings like a 13-year-old girl but the rest of band and the music is solid and it's still better than those other 3.

I totally forgot about this! Some background first: My friend Chris Perez' father was a one-hit wonder in the 80s. Electric Automan by Tony Paris (stage name for Tony Perez - also where Electric Duadoman's name comes from here on the board). Totally legit. It's so obscure, though that I'm almost positive no one on here has ever heard it. Shit, I hadn't heard it or of it until high school. It doesn't even have a youtube video. I want to change that, though. With your help. I know of a place on the web that has an audio. I've also found a pic of the vinyl sticker. I have no idea how to copy it and upload it to youtube (with the pic). Could some more tech savvy soul help me out with this? For my buddy Chris. Who knows, maybe it could become our official song. Do what the Hot Costner did for Kevin Costner for Tony Paris.

http://citinite.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/electric-automan/

Tony+Paris+-+Electric+Automan.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...