Hondo's Bar

Fassbender to play Cú Chulainn in feature length film

comicbookmovie

Michael Fassbender To Play "Cuchulain" In IRISH MYTHS

Ever heard of "Sláine" from 2000AD? Well the legendary Irish hero Cú Chulainn is who that character was based on. Now it seems CBM fave Fassbender will be playing him in a movie produced by his own Finn McCool Films..

The character of Sláine from the 2000AD comic was based in part on Conan The Barbarian, but drew his most direct influences from the Celtic hero of legend Cú Chulainn. Now reports are coming in that a movie based on that character's exploits is on the way, and none other than Magneto himself will be bulking up (I would assume anyway) to play him..

cufass.jpg

According to Screen Daily..

Michael Fassbender is to take the lead in a new project written by Ronan Bennett, whose credits include Public Enemies and The Hamburg Cell.

Fassbender will star as Cuchulain, the central hero of the Ulster Myth Cycle in the
film
(one of the four branches of Irish mythology), which has a working title Irish Myths.

I'm glad "Irish Myths" is only the working title, it sounds like a brand of cream liqueur. Apparently funding is in place, but no director has come on board yet. Here is some background on the character..

Cú Chulainn or Cúchulainn, Irish for "Culann's Hound", is an Irish mythological hero who appears in the stories of the Ulster Cycle, as well as in Scottish and Manx folklore. The son of the god Lug and Deichtine (sister of Conchobar mac Nessa), his childhood name was Sétanta. He gained his better-known name as a child after he killed Culann's fierce guard-dog in self-defence, and offered to take its place until a replacement could be reared. At the age of seventeen he defended Ulster single-handedly against the armies of queen Medb of Connacht in the epic Táin Bó Cúailnge ("Cattle Raid of Cooley"). It was prophesied that his great deeds would give him everlasting fame, but that his life would be a short one. This is the reason why he is compared to the Greek hero Achilles. He is known for his terrifying battle frenzy or ríastrad, (translated by Thomas Kinsella as "warp spasm", and by Ciaran Carson as "torque") in which he becomes an unrecognisable monster who knows neither friend nor foe. He fights from his chariot, driven by his loyal charioteer Láeg, and drawn by his horses, Liath Macha and Dub Sainglend. In more modern times, Cú Chulainn is often referred to as the "Hound of Ulster".

Sláine fans will of course recognize the "Warp Spasm", and both characters also wield the fabled barbed spear the "Gae Bolga". Well this Irishman is delighted with this news, the story has the potential to make a great movie anyway.

Sounds very interesting, Fassbender being involved on every level has me excited.

My take on Cú Chulainn which I posted recently:

cchulainn3.jpg

Archived