Hondo's Bar

First new SNES game in 15 years

Thelogan

Nightmare Busters

- One (1) copy of Nightmare Busters for the Super Nintendo; a game cartridge with full color label, which supports both PAL and NTSC based systems.

- One (1) full color instruction manual.

- One (1) full color cardstock box to house the game cartridge and instruction manual. The product will be manufactured from completely new materials. This means no existing game boards, cartridge shells or boxes will be "recycled" from other products. Rather, everything will be produced by our factory. Of course, as with all of our products, Nightmare Busters is fully licensed from the original developers / IP holders, meaning our product is endorsed by its creators and thus, 100% genuine.

$68 is a pretty penny (*Jerry Lewis voice* all pennies are pretty!), but it's understandable. They're manufacturing a cartridge here. I'm intrigued, and I think I may drunkenly purchase one night. It's a NEW SNES game! Anyway, thoughts? Personally, I'd like to see more of this sort of thing.

I should also note that the footage in the video is from the original game before it got damned to development hell. In all likelihood the finished version will look different.

They say they're only going to make 600, so I might have to buy it out of principle.

Ehh, it's kinda cool, but $68 for it?? I have trouble spending that on games I know I will like. And yeah it may be a cartridge but you know how much it really costs to solder some old 16mb ram chips on a board?

I am all for making new games for old systems, but this is a bad start imo. Keep it in the $15-$30 range and I could see it making a comeback. But they are pricing it the same as AAA titles. I can get an SNES system for less than that. Plus I think I could buy any other SNES game (bar a few rare/imported titles) for under $50.

It's a great idea, they are just going about it in the wrong way I think.

I doubt they're making much of a profit on this. They aren't recycling old carts, they're actually making plastic cases and printing boxes. I don't know anyone who could do that, personally.

It IS stupid expensive, but that's because cartridges are stupid expensive to manufacture. Especially if you aren't making tens of thousands at a time. This is how the current game pricing model became standard, and why the industry loves discs so much. This isn't a big operation here, it's a labor of love. The hope is that they make just enough money to spend the next several years making another one.

This is clearly made with a certain type of person in mind. They could (and will) just release the finished game digitally, but they're taking it a step further for those that love the idea of having a new game for the Super Nintendo.

Sure but how many SNES games do you think could sell in this market for the same price as new games? A few, to a select group of people. I am not against them doing what they are doing, but the price point is going to kill it before it even begins I suspect. Sure they will sell copies, maybe even all 600, but I doubt you will see resurgence of new games for old systems.

I just think you guys are letting nostalgia get the better part of logic. What OTHER SNES game would you still pay $60 for? Hell what new games are you willing to spend that on? What new games aren't you going to buy because it is $60? But somehow this new (old) game with the same antiquated level design we have grown to hate since then garners your appreciation because?

If you want to spend the money on this game, more power to you. Let me know how it plays, I am truly curious, as the demo level on the video didn't really sell it to me. It just seemed like another old school side-scrolling shooter that is balls hard and frustrating even on easy.

You can bitch all day about the price, but the FACT is that it's not arbitrary. They're saying "hey, we can make this for you guys, but it's gonna cost this much". You're not going to see the prices go down unless someone convinces a plastics factory to work on custom orders pro bono.

It's something of a collector's item and a novelty dude. I don't see why that's such a foreign concept. It's like paying triple digits for a big hardcover version or autographed copy of a book that you could own in another form at a fraction of the price and have the exact same reading experience. There's very little practical reasoning behind it, outside of the fact that you think it's cool.

It's a game that was canceled. It should not exist. And we're being given an opportunity to own it as a cartridge. If there was a complete and unreleased Frank Herbert Dune book, and it was released only as a mega deluxe hardcover with custom binding and in extremely limited quantities,would you write off your interest as nostalgia or would you consider paying a premium?

I see it more as a chance to get people into this kind of thing and see if there would indeed be a market. Some people do still have their systems, and if not there are systems available out there for a decent price (less than this game). If it is proven that there is a market, they (or other companies) may see if there's an econmic way to make and distribute them. If so, the price goes down. If not, oh well.

I am complaining about the price so much because I would also like to see this take off. I can't really argue the pricing because honestly I don't know how much it would cost to make molds (or buy old ones) and inject plastic, and create the whole package, plus their time invested in programming and making the actual game itself.

And Logan IF this were some re-release of say Chrono Trigger or a Final Fantasy game, or even Zelda or Mario I could see collectors and new fans alike both wanting it and paying for it happily. And I can see people doing the same for Nightmare Busters, but do you really want to have to pay $60 for every new SNES game that is potenially going to get released? Especially on new IP's that you have no clue how good or bad they may be? People are only going to be willing to gamble so much. And bottom line I don't have much faith on Nightmare Busters being a good game.

The manufacture of a new, region-free video game product for the Super Nintendo is considerably more expensive than manufacturing a similar product for the Sega Genesis or Atari Lynx, the platforms our company has previously produced commercial products for. Therefore our usual asking price per unit is unfortunately not possible. We must adjust the product price accordingly to compensate for the added production costs.

Well that explains some of it, but doesn't give me much hope of game costs coming down as demand increases. I want this game to succeed, don't get me wrong, I just think they are shooting themselves in the foot with the price. I hope I am wrong, and I will probably buy a copy of this just to support the idea.

Ok did some looking around and I think I understand the big deal now. Also found a rom of it, but I am going to hold off.

I'll pay 70$ for ET on Atari before paying this much just so I can hire an excavation team to dig up my snes.

I'm all for a cool new game to play, otherwise.

They shoulda just hit the iPhone market like everyone else that accepted the fact that it's just too late man.

nah, they couldve put it on steam or ios or wherever but the novelty's pretty cool. i mean, that video...it sure looks like an SNES game too.

dont know that ill bite, but i do like it. and $70 is exactly what i paid for a number of carts in that day, albeit usually with battery backup.

When did Nintendo even stop making games for the SNES? Donkey Kong Country 3 Just dropped here and you can see they're pushing all 16 bits to the max. $110 pricetag's pretty steep though considering it's just Dixie and that retard baby.

Archived