Hondo's Bar

Documentaries

Who the hell doesn't like Alan Moore's writing??

Anyways, I watched the doc on Albert Fish. Oldest person ever to be executed, but damn was that dude fucked up. There are obvious reasons why, and in a way I felt sorry for him, but he is still one sadistic, fucked in the head, psychopath. If you are into serial killers and the like, it's worth the watch.

ricky-williams1.jpg

Run, Ricky, Run (I think I've made a thread). The story of Ricky Williams. Not about football, but about a guy that plays football.

Probably the most misunderstood athlete in sports. This doc moves you like non other. Fans of a great and tragic story need to watch this. Don't let the subject matter sway you. Give it a try, he will instantly become your favorite athlete.

• 2 weeks later...
Who the hell doesn't like Alan Moore's writing?? Anyways, I watched the doc on Albert Fish. Oldest person ever to be executed, but damn was that dude fucked up. There are obvious reasons why, and in a way I felt sorry for him, but he is still one sadistic, fucked in the head, psychopath. If you are into serial killers and the like, it's worth the watch.

Motherfucker is too caught up in what he believes to be the brilliance of his own words. Thanks for mentioning the Albert Fish doco though, I gotta get on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered the Youtube channel called VICE, which is full of little half hour documentaries on some interesting subjects. They're all by different people, so obviously the quality varies, but I've watched a couple of pretty good ones now.

VICE specializes in unabashed depravity and going to places we don't belong. Now, thanks to YouTube, we have compressed two decades of our unique immersive approach to these subjects into delicious bite-size morsels. Herein you will find people talking frankly about their hatred and love for various things, general heresy, the only travel and news documentaries you'll want to watch, tons of exclusive new stuff, and probably a lot of cats. You're welcome.

So far I've enjoyed one about the Siberian Jesus and his massive cult (who live on an absolutely gorgeous tract of land):

One on what's possibly the first drug that genuinely frightens me and I want absolutely nothing to do with.

I'm currently watching one on Krokodil, which will probably end up joining the ranks of the previous drug. EDIT: This one isn't very good. Rather boring.

Edited by Thelogan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished watching the Jesus Cult documentary. Thanks, Logan for posting that.

The best documentaries (full length anyways) that I show my classes are:

Why We Fight (this is all about the military-industrial complex and it has one of my favorite John McCain/Dick Cheney moments)

Inside Job (all about the financial crisis and the motherfuckers that need to be in prison, it won the oscar for best doc in 2010)

Gasland (about fracking and how it threatens our water supply, also nominated for best doc, but lost to inside job. This film is the most poetic doc I have ever seen)