Hondo's Bar

Documentaries

Just wanted to second (third really I guess) Vice Tv or VBS.tv as it was known. I really REALLY wanted to see those guys do Scopolamine, but it would be hard not to seem like they were "faking it." I love the story the ex-gangster told about what happened to the people who gave it to him. "Those fucking bitches were brutally raped and murdered!" Street Justice is always the best.

Now Krokodil....just wtf....let's inject Visine mixed with caffine pills and some other shit. And I thought people who did pcp were dumb (because it contains cyanide).

And lastly, all through that Jesus Doc I am thinking...Jesus wasn't a pretty white boy you idiots. He was a JEW! A middle eastern jew, not a New York Jew!

Also speaking of Vice TV, a few select people should probably watch Underground LSD Palace...I so want to be an illegal drug chemist...get to live in an old nuke silo and do drugs all day while listening to....Sarah Mclachlan?? wtf?? Guess nobody told them about dubstep!

Did a double feature of Crumb (the R. Crumb doc from the 90s done by David Lynch) and Dreams With Sharp Teeth (the Harlan Ellison doc from a few years ago done by Werner Herzog.) I love how, even though it's just Crumb wandering around and talking to people he knows, Crumb is the most Lynchian David Lynch movie ever except now the bad camera work is forgiveable (except for that one random part where it zooms in his brother's dirty foot for like 10 tens seconds.) I'm not sure which part was more bizarre, filling notebooks with pictures of girls you had crushes on when you were in school or jerking off whilst humping his mother's boot in the closet and singing "Jesus Loves Me."

"Dreams With Sharp Teeth" was a nice cool down from the weird stickyness of the Crumb family (which is both more hypnotic and more disgusting than Gummo somehow) as Harlan Ellison is merely a curmudgeonly Jew and doesn't have any weird masturbation fetishes that he feels up to sharing. I left the movie, more than ever, wanting to just sit down and talk with him for hours even though I find the idea to be equally terrifying as he'd probably cut my self esteem down to something slightly prouder than E. Coli. There were a lot of great interviews involved even though I have no fucking idea why Robin Williams was there.

Also: Neil Gaiman does a spot-on Harlan Ellison impression

Both movies are a nice kick-in-the-ass to get you feeling creative and ready to do something.

Edited by Iambaytor

I hate being "that guy", but it's going to bug me.

Crumb is a Terry Zwigoff movie. Originally he had asked Lynch if he wanted to help, but Lynch was busy.

He said Terry could use his name to promote it if he wanted. So it's "presented" by David Lynch.

Glad you liked it though. I never get tired of that film.

My bad, CJ told me is was a David Lynch movie and I never bothered to check his citations.

It's bugfuck crazy, the more I think about it the more I realize Crumb is... honestly kind of a huge asshole but he just has such an "aw, shucks" mentality about the whole thing you can't help but like him in-spite of it. I still appreciate that out him and his two brothers, he's the "normal" one.

finally got around to finishing this one - it was good, but i wanted to hear Ray's theories more than stuff about his father, personally.

Nah, man. That's the beauty of this film. How the future is inextricably linked to the past. Ray's fear of death, his longing for his father and inability to accept or properly process that death motivates him seeking to find/create innovations for prolonging human life. It's great profile.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

yeah, i get the emotional sentiment helps the dry tech-talk and balance things out for most viewers, and at first, it was a litlte compelling too.

but when he and other futurists/scientists are detailing nano-tech, AI & singularity, i really don't need to cut away for another 15 minutes to hear about his father's unfinished symphonies and heart problems. for me, too much of that feels like a Hawking piece on unified field theory that just stares at a Dr J poster he's fawning over for a half hour.

Nah, man. That's the beauty of this film. How the future is inextricably linked to the past. Ray's fear of death, his longing for his father and inability to accept or properly process that death motivates him seeking to find/create innovations for prolonging human life. It's great profile.

I was thinking of showing this next year when I teach Frankenstein. I have seen the first half, but I have not finished the second half. What you mention about the movie here is a similar theme in the book.

Watching this

About the problem of exotic pets being in captivity and the well meaning, but selfish stupid people "taking care of them". Shit's pretty widespread, and the film states that there are more tigers in captivity in the DFW area than there are in the wild in India. Fucking tigers man.

I was thinking of showing this next year when I teach Frankenstein. I have seen the first half, but I have not finished the second half. What you mention about the movie here is a similar theme in the book.

Refresh my memory, are you teaching at the HS or college level? Kurzweil as a modern day Frankenstein isn't a bad analogy. Although I've never read Marry Shelley's novel; I've only seen the various iterations of the character on film.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful trailer. I would love to see this at an IMAX theater.

I looked up the film on their website:

SAMSARA is a Sanskrit word that means “the ever turning wheel of life” and is the point of departure for the filmmakers as they search for the elusive current of interconnection that runs through our lives. Filmed over a period of almost five years and in twenty-five countries, SAMSARA transports us to sacred grounds, disaster zones, industrial sites, and natural wonders. By dispensing with dialogue and descriptive text, SAMSARA subverts our expectations of a traditional documentary, instead encouraging our own inner interpretations inspired by images and music that infuses the ancient with the modern.

An excerpt from a NY Times review of the the movie:

Donald Trump, the archvillain of Anthony Baxter’s documentary polemic,
is a man many people love to hate. In this unabashedly hostile portrait of a billionaire developer in action as he embarks on a grandiose new project in Scotland, Mr. Trump comes across as an insensitive, lying bully who will do whatever it takes to realize his dream of creating what he promises will be the world’s greatest golf resort.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Gq2kj4ryg

^^I like tuna and I Iove sushi, but I hate tuna sushi and sashimi. Let me know when the snow crab rolls are endangered though. :2T:

no way, that's not a theater movie for me - have to watch shit like that alone high. related: ya'll need to see Baraka, and DoJ would say the Qatsi trilogy.

Edited for truthiness. Also, I saw some of Koyaanisqatsi on youtube and got the Phillip Glass soundtrack a while back. I liked it alright. But maybe I wasn't in the "right mindset" to appreciate it properly.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
truthiness

• 1 month later...

Just watched this thanks to it being recommended at the end of that Silent Hill HD video and it was pretty great. Not being a gigantic Star Wars fan, it gives alot of insight into that world and gives some good reasons (other than the obvious) on why people take the remastered versions/prequels (of this and other things) so harshly. A good watch even if you don't like Star Wars.