Hondo's Bar

Documentaries

I still need towatchthat Dear Zachary as I still dont have a clue what its about.

OHMYGODNO! Do not watch Dear Zachary! I watch true crime docs all the time. I've probably seen over a hundred. I fall asleep most nights watching Forensic Files. Nothing shocks me anymore. But Dear Zachary ripped my heart out, stomped on it, surgically reattached it and then RIPPED IT OUT AGAIN.

If this makes you want to watch it more, I will say this. Don't look up anything about it before watching. The friend who recommended it to me gave me the same advice and he was right, it has much more of an impact if you don't know anything.

I wish I still didn't know anything...it's so awful. So. Awful.

Edited by Donatella
  • Upvote 1

So yeah I had to simmer on that one, you werent lying Donnie. Holy fuck. I started watching it withKatherine, and I told her "this is supposed to be fucked up."

We're watching it and watching it, going through the ups and downs. Just waiting. Until... Shit. Had to immediately watch something funny after that to wash that griminess away.

Then after letting a little time pass it hit me...

Shirley Turner IS Betsy Devos.

Were really fucked.

Edited by Axels
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Upcoming:

‘To Hell and Back: The Kane Hodder Story’:

To Hell and Back is a harrowing story of a stuntman overcoming a dehumanizing childhood filled with torment and bullying in Sparks, Nevada. After surviving a near-death burn accident, he worked his way up through Hollywood, leading to his ultimate rise as Jason Voorhees in the Friday the 13th series and making countless moviegoers forever terrified of hockey masks and summer camp.

After decades of watching Kane Hodder on screen, get ready to meet the man behind the mask in To Hell and Back – a uniquely human story

‘FredHeads’ Will Focus On Hardcore ‘Elm Street’ Fans:

Over the weekend, Venn Pictures announced its latest project with FredHeads, an upcoming documentary centered on the rabid fandom that surrounds the enduring Nightmare on Elm Street franchise – specifically, how the franchise has changed the lives of so many people over the years. Filming for the doc will take place at Flashback Weekend this August and Scarefest this September.

It’s about the heart and soul of horror, and what Nightmare means to people,” they say.

The documentary will follow 3 fans as they tell their story and what their journey in the Nightmare community has been; some as fans, others rising through popularity. Along the way, we will be filming at conventions and getting as many fan stories as possible to feature as many fans as we can in the documentary.

Sweet. I love these kinda docs - where they put a spotlight on hardcore fans / fan communities...I'll shamelessly admit I have an obsessive personality - I don't feel so nuts when I see sum seriously real hardcore fans. Love it.

More interested in 'Fredheads' than 'the Kane Hodder story'. But I'll still watch 'Hell n' Back', waiting for the chapter where Hodder waxes on about his interactions w/ the fan community and tales from 'Behind the Scenes' of the Friday films.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first trailer for the upcoming documentary The Orange Years has been released online. The film chronicles the origins and success of the cable channel Nickelodeon in the 1990s, featuring interviews with the stars and creators of the content that dominated the childhoods of those coming of age two decades ago. Shows like All That, The Adventures of Pete & Pete, and Clarissa Explains It All served to speak directly to kids without pandering, and they did so while also countering the more younger-skewing programming on Disney Channel. This trailer finds the stars and writers of those shows not only discussing the popularity of Nickelodeon, but how the guiding vision of Geraldine Laybourne allowed these series to traverse more mature content. It was precisely this mix of kid-friendly shows with a smidge of rebellion that made Nickelodeon so popular throughout the 90s.

This trailer makes this film a must-watch for someone like me, who grew up on a steady diet of Nickelodeon programming. Directed by Scott Barber and Adam Sweeney, the film is due to premiere on November 15th at DOC NYC at the SVA Theater in New York City (click here to buy tickets), but doesn’t yet have a release date. One imagines someone like Netflix could pick this up to great success. Here’s hoping we get to see it sooner rather than later.

• 2 months later...