Hondo's Bar

Journey (PS3)

Mortiis558

It is pretty, it is stylized, but the story is Nil to none, you gain all of TWO powers both which you have at the start of the game. I dug the early exploration and learning bit, and hell even if I woulda had to walk aimlessly around the desert for a while that would have been fine. I dont want to ruin it for anyone, but really, you get the most enjoyment out of it when you are at the begining, no game should be the most fun when you first play it.

Ha, I was in the process of quoting all that and internally bitching that I couldn't merge 'em. Way to be on the ball Nazzlers.

I'm in the same boat as you. I really like this sort of thing, and I enjoyed their previous efforts, but that's just too much money right now. You can get a lot of game for $15.

I guess $15 doesn't seem like a lot to me and a game's length is largely irrelevant to me. Especially when the game is good enough that I'll play it repeatedly even though I've beaten it and got all the Trophies.

Also, I have to disagree with Mortiis, there is a story to the game, and a deep one. Its just not handed to you on a silver platter. Its about the experience. To quote their website,

"Faced with rolling sand dunes, age-old ruins, caves and howling winds, your passage will not be an easy one. The goal is to get to the mountaintop, but the experience is discovering who you are, what this place is, and what is your purpose."

Its the history of the world and on top of that the story can be interpreted in a variety of ways depending on your personal persepctive. Its intended to be a subjective experience. Its about what YOU think it means, not a definitive answer.

To me that seems like a cop out though. What about the history of the world? All the, what I can only guess are tombstones? Where did the "people" come from, what happens when they do reach the mountain finally?

Because when you reach the mountain and get shot out back to the begining (as you see another person being returned in the begining of your own journey)

Sure there are parts where you can make your own interpretation, but the information you're given to make such interpretations are just lacking. Other than the collages you unlock along the way, very little else is done to explain ANYTHING. To give you any sort of information as to your surroundings and history and even fututre. I can think what I want about it sure, but I need something other than vague pictures.

If you want to look at Journey as analogous to life that is fine, but I just didn't get that. I also explained the most fun is the begining when you are learning everything still.

What I want is more than just some vague pictures for "explanation." This isn't life, this is a person, walking through a desert to get to a mountain. I don't think many of are life choices involve "yelling" to unlock the next area, or flying to get to the next perch. I am not going to attach something that isn't there no matter how much I want to think it may be.

And I get what they are trying to do, but for me it just didn't work here. I will at some point go back and play it again with a more open mind, but for now, it will remain as a short, fun but ultimately unsatisfying Journey.

Wow, I think I am an emotionless bastard. Not once did I care about the plight I was going through. It was just moving forward to unlock the next part. I went into it expecting a lot more than it delivered and even when I got to the snow level (spoiler!!) I was still expecting a lot more. It just wasn't a game that evoked an emotional reaction from me. I didn't feel isolated, I didn't feel sad, or glad, or really anything. It is all over too quickly to get truly involved in the setting. The ONE part at the end where I started to feel something was completely ruined by, the ending....

So it looks like I am going to be the stand-out person who everyone argues with because I don't think this game is the greatest thing to come along since Bioshock. Oh well. At least I paid $15 for it unlike you cheap bastard hold-outs! lol (that is a joke!!)

Don't worry, you're just autistic. These things humans call "feelings" are strange and alien.

You and JZA should get together and talk about how hot it is watching robots alphabetize trading cards, and how Data is clearly the best character in Star Trek history.

I was about to grab this just now, but for only an hour? Yeah 15 dollars is way too much for that. I like these kind of immersion games (Linger in Shadows was well worth my 3 dollars) like the others above, Imma have to hold out.

So I just read an interview with a comparison that I think applies here pretty well. Basically, if a large retail game is a novel, then something like this is a poem. It's short and personal, and as deep as you'd like to make it.

Mort & Lipala: Did either of you encounter any other players on your travels?

You know... I saw the stream when the designers debuted this game and got turned on so moise when they delayed the game for another 6+ months. So I luv this game but man... I agree it was hella short.

But standard ps3 game =$60.. This thing was15.

This game has a ton of replay value if you're a trophy hunter as well.

Still by watchin the initial gameplay I thought the game was a true MMO.

I am disappointed by the length, but that's it. This game is magnificent.

Archived