Hondo's Bar

Magic: The Gathering

Thelogan

So I played the shit out of Magic all the way through high school, when I had a lot of time and disposable income. I enjoyed coming up with decks based around game breaking combos and just out thinking the other guy. It was a lot of fun.

When I moved out, I stopped buying/stealing cards. This would have been around Invasion. I needed money, so I sold all of my rares and uncommons on Ebay and made enough to pay rent for several months. For years I still had my commons, and me and CJ would periodically make decks with Scryb Sprites and Giant Growths and still have fun.

Somewhere along the line, I had a breakup and just couldn't be bothered to see her again and go pick up my massive boxes of worthless cards, and then I had none.

I'm occasionally reminded of how much fun I had whenever a new video game comes out. I get really into them. And those are just pre-made decks, half the fun of the game is already stripped away by default.

I keep thinking I'd like to play again, but then I remember the time investment. Plus, who would I even play with? It's not like school, where I had people I barely knew just sitting around waiting fir a match. I would really only be able to play at those friday night magic things at comic book stores, with total strangers.

So yeah, it's been on my mind lately. Any old school/current fans? Shout out. Is there enough of us to maybe get together and have a (drunken) sealed deck tournament? That would negate the whole "collecting" factor and be a blast. I would happily shell out for a few boxes and a pile of land, winner takes all.

I played in middle school and then stopped around 9th grade. I played obsessively and I also played random old geeks at comic stores. I had one deck that I could usually win with if I got the right starting hand, even against the old geeks who had a lot more money than me.

The deck was fairly simple. On the first turn I would use a dark ritual (3 black mana for the price of one), then cast a mana vault and tap it (one for the price of 3 colorless), and then cast a Sengir Vampire (or another large creature for the price of five). If I could pull that off during the first turn I would usually win since I had some other strategies setup around that first set of moves.

Those were the days . . .

I stopped playing right around the time my mother's husband forced me to cancel my comic book subscriptions, which I paid for with money that I earned.

What a dick.

I remember those dark ritual/sengir decks. I think a lot of us started out infatuated with those and dying by their hand. Throw in a Lord of the pit and a thrall breeding pen and you just described what I considered my first "good" deck.

I think my most effective tourney deck was red/white and revolved around cheap creatures, some artifact mana sources, some direct damage for creature control, and finally Armageddon. Maybe a Sera or two if shit lasted that long. The goal was to get out a few of 2/1, 1/1 creatures, keep their creatures under control with bolts and such. Then wipe the board with the Armageddon. Then I'd poke them to death while they were helpless, and use my artifacts to cast more. It worked really well.

I think I had the most fun with green decks revolving around shitloads of massive creatures. Crude, but effective. I'd have little saproling tokens everywhere, then Overrun and get them to -70 life or some shit.

I had a nice lockdown blue deck that revolved around making them run outof cards to draw too. Howling Mines all over, which they love at first, then targeting them with my "draw card" spells. Counter everything. Before you know it, they can't draw and I win.

Sealed deck/booster draft's a great way to get your fix and have a relatively balance couple of games. I've got about 5 guys in Miami who would be down at the drop of a hat. We all started playing around Ice Age and over the years have gotten into and out of playing it, but have always loved the game. Now that we are all 'adults' it's hard to put the time in that is required to build decks, let alone play with them. One of my best friends just had a kid and sold his entire collection. It was really heartbreaking to all of us. I had half a mind to buy them off him and just hold onto them for posterity or until he had the finances and square footage to take them back. End of an era man.

I actually still buy at least a fat pack of every expansion, even though I haven't played in years. I can honestly say I still get that little endorphin rush every time I open a pack. Invariably I'm asked when purchasing boosters if I play, to which I usually wring my hands and reply

"....Soon."

• 3 months later...

Since Logan's amazing sealed-deck bachelor party never came about I am stuck with all these great ideas and websites that still sell old booster packs and boxes. Did you know you can still buy SEALED Legends and Arabian Nights booster packs?? Or that old Time Walk beta you could never afford, well you still can't afford it, but they are still for sale! I was planning on dropping like a grand on a sealed 4th edition booster box and some Legends packs for us to play with but alas.

The video games do do some justice with letting you play for fairly cheap, but like Logan said, they take half the fun out by not letting you build your own deck. They should at least have the option in the games..min of 40 cards for a deck, and just go to town. Also throw in some Dual Lands...though Logan did say someone played a Mox in MTG 2013. I wonder if you can have more than 1 of those per color per deck though? I'd love to be able to do the first round kill with some moxes and a Black Lotus, a fork, a fireball and that black card that gives you 3 swamps until the end of the turn.

Dark Ritual.

Yeah, the video games are fun. The benefit of the pre-made decks are that they can be pretty balanced, and you definitely get to use some skill and knowledge when you trim it from 100 cards to 60. Optimize that shit. But it also creates some rock/paper/scissor scenarios. Like if you're playing blue and they're playing black, you're almost always fucked unless you get a nut draw or they make a horrible mistake (hypothetical example).

I'm still down for a sealed deck tourney. I know you, me and CJ are in, but it would be nice to have another person or two.

I agree it would be nice to at least have a fourth, that way we could do 2 on 2 as well. 3-Way free for all's end up being two people aligning against one then trying to fuck the person you made the alliance with before you get fucked. Some of the "politics" of it can be fun with 3, but with 4 there's a much better balance and more of a randomness to how the matches can play out. But if 3 is all we can muster don't count me out, I am down any way, shape or form.

Also found a good website that has all the cards in a format where you can print them out and they are sized correctly and look decent (depending on the printer of course) so you can make proxy's of all those cards you wanted as a kid, but were never able to get. I might have had a Lotus and a few moxes but they were nowhere near mint, and even then there were still ass-loads of cards that were still out of my reach. Hell I was never even able to get an Abyss or a Chaos Orb (still one of the coolest ideas ever!). Plus how many cards I've forgotten about that I wanted. Ahh nostalgia.

Yeah I am all for playing with new expansions, but that will double match times as we pass every card back and forth going "What's that do??" "Hey, lemme see that card." Not complaining, just we will need to schedule some extra time or start early or play more than one night so we can get to know the cards. I wouldn't mind doing something like we discussed previously. Getting some pre-made sealed decks, but also getting a box or some packs from some different expansions to help supplement our sealed decks, or to just make our own decks out of.

But you got Magic 2013 on the 360 right??

I did. It's the same game as far as multiplayer goes, except there's no DLC yet, so there's fewer decks. There's a really good blue mill deck that"s a nice change of pace, a black deck that actually requires some skill to play that's pretty effective. The life gain deck is comically broken, I don't play it online because I feel like a douche.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

As part of a much more broad mid-life crisis I think I might be going through (thread on that later), I ordered a lot of 1000 random used cards over Ebay (no more than 4 duplicates for a card). I think I'm going to try to play this occasionally.

If your reading this Spacecowboy, would you be interested in getting together for a game?

Edited by The Vagrant

• 4 weeks later...