Hondo's Bar

Killer is Dead

The NZA

The game's main character has a profession known as "Executioner." He goes around the world putting an end to S level criminals. (This description is totally different from our original report, where we said that the game makes you into a prisoner out to kill your executioner. That was incorrect.)

Killer is Dead is being developed by Grasshopper Manufacture and will be published by Kadokawa Games. This is the same pairing that is bringing us Lollipop Chainsaw. Famitsu lists Yoshimi Yasuda as executive producer and Suda 51 as executive director. Suda is also in charge of the game's scenario.

The magazine's interview with Suda reveals that planning for the game began at the end of 2009. Actual development did not start until Spring 2011, though. The game is currently quite early. Development of a prototype is either complete or nearing completion. The first draft of the game's scenario has just been completed.

The key words for the game, said Suda, are "Moon and Earth." The main character will visit a variety of places in order to fight his enemies. These enemies apparently have something to do with the Moon.

Despite the mention of "Moon" as a key word, the game is not science fiction. It's set in an extension of modern times.

Other keywords and themes include "Brilliant Game" and "Love." Love is an important theme for the game, said Suda, because the main character has someone he wants to protect, and he's fighting for this. The idea of "How far can you protect someone" is central to the story.

http://andriasang.com/con0id/killer_is_dead_detailed/

Suda 51 is directing Killer is Dead, but it's not a sequel to Killer 7. In this original title, you play as a prisoner who's been sentenced to die. Your goal is to kill your assassin.

The game promises to retain the essence of Killer 7 and No More Heroes. It also promises to be a sort of "Dark Side 007" in that it will feature a number of beautiful Bond Girl-like ladies.

On the gameplay side of things, early reports indicate that the game will have sword-play ala No More Heroes, but with new elements.

http://andriasang.com/con0hq/killer_is_dead/

some speculation says "not a sequel" because capcom owns the IP, so perhaps a spiritual successor? either way, looks great! shame Suda's exec directing and not directly making it his game, but this still looks awesome. PS3/360.

concept art!

7hdkny.jpg

full.jpg

full-1.jpg18aj74.jpg

RN5Tj.png

2jcjun.jpg

3zsjst.jpg

47ckew.jpg

559kq6.jpg

658j1j.jpg

5pokb.png

Well I guess we know the next game Nick is going to love and say is great no matter how non-sensical the story is, or how bad the controls are, or how unplayable it is in general. Suda 51 is involved...Nick WILL LIKE IT!

Still Shadows of the Damned was a fun game, hopefully this will be even better than that one.

Well Killer 7 and No more Heroes immediately jump to mind. They weren't all bad, but I am not gonna be buying an HD edition remake (or the No More Heroes remake that already came out).

And if this makes GOTY I will literally print out a page of this thread and eat my words. lol

Shadows of the Damned was a fun one this gen - it's pretty cheap now too, i had an awesome rental of it but it's more Mikami's game than Suda's (which isn't bad, as the former is a master at gameplay, and Suda...lives on the wild side).

I personally think Killer 7 is hands-down his finest game, but again, it barely wants you to play it. the art style, story and everything else are really awesome, but the controls are needlessly obtuse, so it's hard to recommend. No More Heroes is a fun, way more approachable hack & slash that's basically about saving up to fight cool bosses.

his DS games are even more esoteric, and most of his horror stuff (including Fatal Frame 4) didn't make it over here, though a few things have fan translations. i think he did that PS2 samurai champloo one but ive no idea how turned out.

• 8 months later...

wait, which one was black knight sword? i missed that entirely.

baytor - i slept on lolipop chainsaw after i saw he exec produced it, because i adored No More Heroes 1 (as possibly might you one day) but 2 felt...obviously without his guidance, despite improvements in gameplay. i dug Shadows of the Damned, and you & I are overdue for a long conversation about the flawed-as-fuck gem that is Killer 7, i really think you'd dig it if you got past the game-doesnt-seem-to-want-you-to-play-it-ness...yeah.

i'm early on in Flower, Sun & Rain but i usually really dig the stuff he directly involves himself with, though they absolutely have stronger concepts than delivery. hence why Shadows went fairly well: gameplay was left to Mikami, the genius behind RE4.

• 3 months later...