Hondo's Bar

Wolverine & The X-Men

Thelogan

Why Broo Is One Of The Best Things To Come Out Of WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN

Alright, I should warn you: today's feature is going to be a confession of just how much I love comics; or at least when comics are done right. Sometimes you read a comic book that really makes you fall in love with a character; and lately, WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN has been doing that for me.

Of all of the current New Mutants in Marvel's X-Men universe, the one that seems to be the most unique and interesting (to me) has to be Broo. Following WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN's latest three-part story arc, "Mutatis Mutandis," I fell in love with Broo's character. Not only is he one of the sweetest and most compassionate of the Young Mutants, he's also incredibly conflicted -- and I think that's what makes him so interesting.

unwiQ.jpg

If you think it sounds tough to live as a mutant, just imagine having to live as a mutant and an alien whose race is known reproduce by implanting their eggs in other organisms. Oh, and they sometimes eat people, too. Historically, the X-Men know what it's like to feel ostracized by society which is why their solution to discrimination has been to isolate themselves (Utopia, Professor X's school). Yet, not many of the X-characters have to deal with the feeling of being left out and ostracized within their own community. That is except for Broo. There's no question that it might be somewhat difficult to trust a Broodling when the Brood have long been the sworn enemy of the X-Men. So clearly, our poor young Broo has got it rough.

lV6hv.png

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40

However, it is not only the other X-Men who give Broo a hard time; Broo's own kind weren't very nice to him either. When Broo was first introduced by Christos Gage in ASTONISHING X-MEN #40, he was discovered by Beast and a small team of X-Men after having been abandoned by his own race and left to die. Broo, like the X-Men, is a mutant. He is the logical evolution of their alien race. Unlike other Broodling, Broo is highly intelligent and he has a trait that no other Brood have: compassion. While Broo is tender, docile and sweet; his relatives are, well, parasites who live to kill and eat other organisms. This makes him the only one of his kind. Yet, that's what makes him so unique.

5jzFW.png

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40

When he was first introduced, Broo did not have much of a personality and we did not know that much about him. However, Marvel writer Jason Aaron has managed to really dig deep into Broo's character, making him stand out among the many other Young Mutants in a handful of issues. Broo is quirky, compassionate and intellectual; but his intelligence is often his hinderance. He might very well be the smartest young mutant in the room, but he doesn't have all that much common sense. He doesn't always know when Quentin Quire is making him the brunt of his jokes. Yet it's these qualities that are what make him so endearing.

Cjdkp.jpg

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #7

In the latest three part story arc, "Mutatis Mutandis," Kitty Pryde has been infected by Brood. The only way to save Kitty is to kill the Brood that are hatching inside of her. In this arc we see Broo really torn by his compassion; he wants Kitty to be saved but it pains him to see his own kind exterminated by a team of X-Men. To him, these Broodlings are his family. There's a real conflict there, and it's sweet to see that his compassion is strong that even though he was abandoned and left to die by his own kind, he still feels compelled to save them. It will certainly be interesting to see how Broo evolves and whether he will maintain the level of compassion and kindness he currently has, or whether he will turn to the dark side; something we saw in WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #7 (above).

kw2vb.jpg

WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #2

dWmCb.jpg

At least 1/4th of the future is looking pretty sweet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's really doing some cool shit. It doesn't take itself too seriously a lot of the time, which I personally enjoy.

This group is way cooler than The New Mutants. I would be tickled pink if Genesis becomes the next Cyclops. The idea of Apocolypse leading the X-men just makes me so happy for some reason.

Start at the first issue, and snag Wolverine: Alpha & Omega somewhere in there too. I think it has 1 issue left.

I opened a picture of Broo in MS Paint, traced over the lines I liked in white and tweaked it a little, converted the image to black and white and then inverted the colors.

I certainly didn't draw it, it was more of an exercise, but I think it turned out pretty cool.

OI3Bn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the first four issues (and the first two issues of Alpha & Omega) and I'm loving it. Still, Wolverine speaking almost as eloquently as Beast? Yeah, not liking that. Really, my only complaint. Nick should still jump on this.

I forgive it because Wolverine is trying so hard to fill the role. A lot of that stuff is how it sounds in your head, and in my head it sounds like Clint Eastwood doing a bad impersonation of Hugh Grant or something. It's funny to me.

He's acting like he thinks a headmaster should, doing his best Professor X impression when out in the public, and it's frustratingly difficult for him.

Really glad someone else is digging the book.

If I was Jason Aaron I'd be pissed I have to participate in this shit.

Not likely as he was one of the five "architects" of this whole crossover.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/shows/avx_war_journals/series.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Avengers VS X-Men: War Journals</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/videos/home.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Full Episodes</a></p></div></div>

I keep forgetting that MTV has a really awesome geek website. I really need to check it out more often. Anyway, some more vids of Aaron here. Despite the weird tats, he seems like a genuinely cool guy. I mean, his cousin wrote the book that inspired Full metal Jacket. Writing is in his DNA.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

all caught up - great book, gotta be the best x-title that's not x-factor going right now.

broo really is the best - im glad they got work for doop too

*edit: also, AvX does need to end but at least they managed what like no one has for me prior, i actually give a shit about some shi'ar shit. also, Iceman makes dupes now, wheee! call me when he finally nails that deathbird chick.

While I agree with your assessment of the book, I disagree with your assessment of Quire.

He's an over compensating insecure teenager. Anyone who goes to so much trouble to make sure everyone knows he doesn't care probably cares quite a bit.

Total pussy. I think he cares so much that it scares him. Future leader of the X-Men right thar.

I agree and that's good storytelling, but its weird when in the main book he's a badass and in the mini he's a pussy. To me it just says that the writers are not on the same page. I guess AvX has hindered Aaron's story some. You know, having to write other characters rather than focus on his own.