Hondo's Bar

Justified

YUNO.jpg

Seriously: Nick, Lindsey, Logan, Haku. WATCH THIS FUCKING SHOW.

It has Timothy Olyphant (Seth Bullock from Deadwood), it has Walt Goggins (Shane Vendrell from The Shield), it's executive produced and based on characters by Elmore Leonard (Writer of 3:10 to Yuma, Get Shorty, Jackie Brown, Joe Kidd, Valdez is Coming, etc.)

It's about Deputy U.S. Marshall Raylin Givens, being forced to return to his home state of Kentucky after he cold shoots a criminal he gave 24 hours to get out of Miami. It starts out like some sort of Walking Tall the series shit but it changes into something wholly different.

I will warn: Season 1 takes a bit of time to pick up some speed, the pilot is okay but we just spend 5 or 6 episodes after that fucking around with Raylin on random cases. THEN the show's real star returns: Walt Goggins' character Boyd Crowder is the shit and he's fucking amazing. Seriously, if he can pull off a decent Irish accent I nominate Goggins to play Cassidy in that Preacher movie that's never getting made.

Watch this fucking show!

• Like 1

Oh, I'm there, Baytor. I thought we already had a thread for this b/c I swear I remember mentioning it on here. Maybe it was in Blargh or in the Hell On Wheels thread.

Anyway, S3 had kind of a meh season finale compared to the last two seasons (we already knew Arlo had that in him after he followed through w/ for Boyd's daddy's instructions in S1), but it was still great TV.

And you forgot Out of Sighton that list of great films based on Elmore Leonard's work. He also wrote a book called Raylan, of course based on the protagonist of Justified, not too long ago after the series took off in popularity. It's on my list of novels to read this summer.

He also wrote a book called Raylan, of course based on the protagonist of Justified, not too long ago after the series took off in popularity. It's on my list of novels to read this summer.

Raylan is actually the 4th book to feature Raylan Givens (well, 3 plus "Fire in the Hole" which Justified is based on) So you should add Pronto, Riding the Rap, and Fire in the Hole to your list as well.

Well Pronto and Riding the Rap are apparently about his pre-returning to Kentucky Miami days. As I understand it, Fire in the Hole is essentially the first episode of the show and a logical starting point for a series. Also I think Fire in the Hole was Raylan's first solo outing, I believe he was part of a larger cast in the other two.

Here's a doofy ass picture of James Legros as Raylan in the made for TV adaptation of Pronto they did in the 90s:

pronto_james.jpg

Okay, just finished season 4.

What a fucking rogue's gallery.

Boyd, Limehouse, Duffy, Quarles, Dickie. Good lord shit got real. Also when the fuck did Arlo get Alzheimers? It just kinda popped up out of nowhere. Neal McDonough just chewed more and more scenery as the season went on, he was at Peter Stormare levels of over-the-top by season's end.

I love that they were essentially making fun of how goofy Neal McDonough actually looks pretty much all season. And I fucking loved the bit in the last episode,

where Limehouse cuts Quarrels' Taxi Driver gun-arm off and Raylan's holding it and Quarrels reaches for it with the most "gimme" expression and Raylan moves it out of his reach like he could have actually done something with it. The bit where Raylan finally sees the wrist gun and goes "well, that's cute" was great as well. I'm very sad that Raylan interrupted the story of where he got the track because I want to know how it related to him Christmas tree shopping with his family.

I would also like to know why everybody's got such a hard-on for Boyd Crowder. He may be a righteous badass and a good demo-man, but for my money he is quite possibly the worst criminal ever. His MO for bank robbery is as predictable as the tides, his gang consists of: a girlfriend who doesn't listen and is even more incompetent than him, an old man with Alzheimers, and a man in a wheelchair with a colostomy bag, as well as two or three dumb rednecks that aren't competent enough to be Stormtroopers on the Death Star, AND he apprehends a dangerous hit-man/criminal/nut case and just leaves him alone with ONE chain on his ankle to be guarded by two strong out Oxycontin addicted prostitutes and some dumb fucker with a Mohawk. The only good partner in crime he had was Devil who was so competent that he naturally wanted to get with someone who's got his shit together. It's really pretty sad that Dewey Crow was probably one of his better henchmen.

Neal McDonough is awesome, but Quarles wasn't my favorite roll of his. He'll always be Buck from Band of Bros.

And the arm removal end to Quarles was the best part of S4, probably. That or Gary finally getting killed. It was a long wait for a payoff seeing Limehouse threaten everyone w/ those knives all season long.

Boyd, say what you will, is Teflon. They cannot make a charge stick to that motherfucker. And you should know he's not going anywhere. He's the yin to Raylan's yang. Admittedly, he was a much more interesting character in S1 & S2. I feel like the writers are kinda lost w/ him. Hooking him up w/ Arlo and Ava was just to keep him in Raylan's life. It makes for some alright drama as well. But I honestly think the show could move on from Boyd all together and I wouldn't miss him much at this point.

RayLan's wife is the one I could REALLY do w/out. Ever since she lied about that money she's had a bullet w/ her name on it in my book. Best case scenario is she has a boy, gets killed and Raylan and the boy seek vengeance Kill Bill/Lone Wolf & Cub style.

On Boyd

No no, Boyd should stick around, I'm even cool with Johnny because I like him. I was personally thinking that the whole Boyd/Eva thing was just to keep Eva around seeing as she had no purpose once Raylan quit fucking her. Boyd is still a stone-cold badass and an integral part of the show, the problem is he's no good at running a criminal empire, as Raylan said he's good at "blowing shit up and getting paid." I'm sure if this is allowed to run its course the show will come to some showdown between Boyd and Raylan echoing the pilot's but right now he's just kinda blowing in the wind. To be fair they've stretched a lot of these characters to their max as I think Boyd actually died in Fire in the Hole and Ava didn't go much beyond it in the books.

Right now it's just 3 season and 1 episode.

Heh, Ok. So I was right, only 3 seasons so far. I thought so. Anyway, on characters being stretched thin: yes.

Arlo I'm done w/. We know he's tried to kill his son and that last scene in S3 was supposed to have this big impact--Arlo thought he was shooting Raylan to protect Boyd. But Arlo has already sold Raylan out more than once. It's just old territory for those characters. Move on.

And Dickhead Bennett is another that I hope is gone. Raylan shot him at the end of S3E12, but is he dead? And as much as I love Jeremy Upham Faraday Davies, I hate seeing him play such a sniveling low life character.

Perosnally i hoe S4 has Raylan more outside of Harlan. Aren't marshal's supposed to chase and transport fugitives and do WitSec? I'd like a good story arc or two in that arena--especially if they take Raylan on the road or back to MIA.

I got the impression that Dickie was dead, though maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. I'm pretty sure next season will have more Wynn Duffie, I think we're done with Limehouse for now (maybe for good), but I think Duffie is being rotated in as the big bad next season. I loved the bit on the motor coach when Raylan starts playing Russian Roulette with him.

• 3 weeks later...

I will warn: Season 1 takes a bit of time to pick up some speed, the pilot is okay but we just spend 5 or 6 episodes after that fucking around with Raylin on random cases.

yeah, about that...

can you give specifics? we were 4 or so eps in and Kertins was tired of filler stuff, so we jumped ahead to

the one with his dad

which i thought was good - they're dropping hints that it's coming, about when does shit start to go down?

ps man i could not care less about this crazy ex-wife chick he's banging though

Shit finally picks up (albeit at the end of the episode) in episode 8 (Blowback) but there's some important stuff that happens in the previous episode (Blind Spot) that comes into play later. It's gonna meander off and on for a couple more episodes and deal with the fringes of what's going on but don't skip any more episodes, they're all building toward the finale. Seasons 2 and 3 fuck around a whole lot less and you shouldn't have any problem from there.

Ava does not get any better I'm sorry to say, fortunately Wynona picks up a lot of the slack.

finished season 1

wow, okay...i'll give this show credit for one thing, it definitely doesn't go the way you think it will. Shane was playing Anti-Venom for a minute there.

kertz passed out but she'll catch up, grabbing s2 but i don't know how much i'll get to see this week. interested to see where it goes from here, though.

Everywhere it goes from here is amazing. The Bennetts (the bad guys of season 2) are great and you're gonna love them, and season 3 has one of the most kick-ass rogue's galleries ever (including Bubba from Forrest Gump as a Cajun barbecue chef/crime lord that holds all his meetings whilst butchering pigs.)

• 8 months later...

Yeah, it's a good series to watch when you've got it all in your hands at once, so to speak. But There's a dearth of good drama on at the moment, so Justified is pretty much the only one I'm looking forward to until The Walking Dead picks back up.

S4E1 gots Patton Oswalt! Looks as if he'll be a recurring character this season.