Hondo's Bar

Justified

Fuck. The guy that plays Herschel was in Justified, wasn't he! I forgot all about that one. I just realized, The Walking Dead could be set in a "not too distant future." If Raylan was ever in GA, it'd be cool if he ran in to these two sheriffs on patrol. One maybe would be expecting his first child, a boy named Carl. I love little nods like that in comics. It's really a shame we don't see more of that in TV-land. :/

Fair enough. So tell me if Boyd showed up in TWD making walker-bombs to infiltrate Woodbury, you wouldn't have a nerdgasm.

And on topic...

S4E2

New backyard MMA guy looks interesting. The mystery of Waldo Truth has potential. And I've mixed feelings on seeing Wynn Duffy back. Also, Boyd's confrontation w/ the preacher was surprisingly honest and a great character moment for him. It was probably my favorite scene of the episode.

Speaking of ol' Walt Higgins...just three episodes in, but just go ahead and give him the Emmy and Golden Globe already.

S4E3

Boyd gets only two scenes, but the second one w/ the rattler and the preacher was just brilliant acting. The essence of Boyd and his, for lack of a better word, duality is just portrayed beautifully there.

god, getacher boy

all caught up! yeah, i gotta know what's in the bag, too.

the lengths Arlo took in ep 1 make me really curious, this ep showed it going back to detroit kingpin so i'm intrigued. Sen called bar-chick robbing Raylin a mile away, i guess that's fair

speaking of! i was commenting how the actor who plays raylin would make a decent Preacher/Jesse in my eyes, and sen took it up a notch & said she'd dig seeing walton goggins as cassidy. thoughts?

season 3 talk:

that was fun, and the villain was interesting but the way he came apart at the end felt a mite anticlimatctic, i think for me it started to show when blue eyes was left in a trailer with mad drugs & 2 hookers (whom he left alive, even with the armed guard?), overall it was fun but not as good as season 2 i thought.

First post in the thread

Walt Goggins' character Boyd Crowder is the shit and he's fucking amazing. Seriously, if he can pull off a decent Irish accent I nominate Goggins to play Cassidy in that Preacher movie that's never getting made.

But yeah, Oliphant would make a pretty good Jesse, better than McCoughnahey/Depp/anyone else I've seen suggested.

• 5 weeks later...

Nick: I had about the same reaction to the end of S3.

So are you two still up to date w/ the series (just aired s4e7)?

The scene w/ his ex-wife last episode was nice, but I thought it was odd we haven't seen more of her. Then in e7 we find out it's only been 6 days between e1 and e7, so that made more sense that she wasn't a bigger part in his life.

I liked how they tied back to the first episode w/ the escaped con, seeing as how that's technically what you mainly think of when you think of a US Marshall--chasing escaped fugitives. Also, this poker chick reoccurring might be interesting.

And I think Arlo ends up dead by end of this season. At least I hope he does. It's getting tiresome seeing he and Raylan treading the same waters.

yeah, caught up & still enjoying it, just hoping this all pays off because there's been an awful lotta sidequests that didn't really go anywhere for me this season.

preview seemed to show raylin & goggins coming across each other again, which is cool - at least boyd has a direction now, with the inner circle stepping on him like that.

kinda hoping we see more of detroit, right now the only bad guy we have lined up is dixie mafia eyebrows again

Ah, yes, I didn't even mention Boyd's storyline...

In a word: meh. I thought there was a lot more potential in the preacher's sister angle, but that ended abruptly--although in a spectacular manner. This whole Ella May/quest for Ella May is just slow and boring. Him being strongarmed at the Eyes Wide Shut party last episode looks like it'll go someplace good though.

The "sidequests" do seem to be far more numerous. Apart from the Raylan/Boyd story lines, we've got more Ava, Ron Edlard/Ella May/Sheriff, sniper Marshall and junkie buddy (I think the dealer was Howard from Big Bang Theory), and Cousin Johnny's side deal w/ Wynn. I hope they all tie together later on in some way or it'll be disappointing.

Also, great guest characters this season. Gerald Major Dad McRainey and Axel from Walking Dead were nice touches.

• 4 weeks later...

wasnt really clear on that either, i assumed it was because drew's possibly sitting on a moneytrain of some kind that he wanted for himself? arlo's got those old school loyalties but there didn't seem to be a connection between them, though drew did say that one bit about how some of their daddies ate/made homes for them off the coke business.

Well, I'm caught up w/ the latest two episodes now, and it hasn't been disappointing really, but kind of, oh, mediocre. . .

Patton Oswalt torture scene was intense even if YOLO was likely the least threatening name you could give a henchmen aside from Boo-boo-kitty-fuck.

The back and forth between Raylan and Boyd at the highschool was good. They haven't been at odds w/ each other much this season, so I'd almost forgotten how good their whole frenemy dynamic could be. Mike O'Malley is surprisingly good as a threatening mid-level underboss this season. That was a good scene w/ him, Ava, and Johnny.

The whole Limehouse detour felt off and rushed to me though. I can see why it played out the way it did, but I it still felt wrong for some reason. Just slightly off. The whole showdown between the Iraq vets on the Highway was a good subplot though. I'm curious to see if and how Colt finally bites it.

And apparently Arlo was loyal to Drew b/c Drew's cocaine money got Arlo the land and house Raylan grew up on. Arlo kept the bag as possible blackmail then? Why would Drew trust a stranger w/ such damning evidence? That was a lame explanation to the item that set this whole season in motion.

And to end on a positive note, the whole Drew Thompson is a badass speech and Raylan's reaction to it was hilarious. I'm looking forward to these last two episodes and hoping something epic is in store for Boyd and Raylan, and possibly Drew.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Yeah, I liked how they pitted Raylan's #2 guy (if you can call him that) against Boyd's muscle using the drug dealer angle to connect them. I'm wondering if Colt will make it out of this season or not as it seems ol' cousin Johnny is now revealed as an attempted usurper to the Crowder Kingdom.

yeah, it's a tough call with johnny in the wind, but i'd be quite surprised to see Colt outlive the season. i think i'd like him to, but then i was worried when he started spiraling down with drugs that he'd just fall the fuck off the rails like the villain of last season did. seems to be back on point now, so i'm liking him again, which traditionally means he's doomed.

I found this little bit of fan-fic on another forum and thought I'd share:

It is fanon that Seth Bullock retired in Kentucky after Deadwood was admitted to the union, and Raylan is his descendant.

Bullock and Martha divorced after Hearst's takeover; with little William dead, there was nothing to hold them together, so they each went their separate ways. Bullock's descendants heard stories about his wild days in deadwood, and alternately became outlaws (Arlo), or lawmen (Raylan).

Martha, meanwhile, was embittered by her experiences, though it, too had different effects on her descendents. After settling in New Mexico, the family legends of Deadwood were passed down the generations. Last I heard, she has two great-great-granddaughters; one became enamored with stories of old gran and married a federal officer; the older, wiser one settled down with some high school chemistry teacher, where they live a quite life in the suburbs without ever worrying that the man who knocks at their door was sent to murder them.

I totally forgot McRaney played Hearst in Deadwood. That could make old Josaih Cairn from Justified one of Hearst's bastards.

• 2 weeks later...

So, S4 is over with. What make you of the finale?

I thought this was a good episode. Solid character moments and a few good bits of action. I liked Boyd pointing out Raylan's hypocrisey. That scene in the truck was great. The limo showdown was also a very good scene, but the topper was definitely the baby room showdown. Winona even got a badass Tarantino shot in there at the end. I hope she's back as more than a blip on Raylan's radar next season.

The only nitpick I have is the Eva/Mine-Shaft-Dead-Guy subplot that's been going on and how that ended. Why Boyd thought he'd maintain the upper hand w/ this Paxton guy seems like a really dumb line of logic, but I guess Boyd was technically desperate at the time. Not sure why he'd go through all the trouble to make that elaborate plan to move the body either. Why not just torch the body in the shaft then bury or move the bones tot he slurry? Meh. It makes for good drama and motive for Boyd next season though.