Hondo's Bar

Young Justice

bishopcruz

This show started last year and I'm still kinda amazed at the fact there isn't a thread for it. This is probably the best superhero show since Justice League. It is damn good. The animatiion is great, the characters are cool, the story is awesome, and it is quite a lot of fun. It's amazing how DC can struggle to all hell to make compelling versions of these characters in comics sometimes and yet animated or in movies they tend to just plain rock.

Anyhow YJ follows Robin, Aqualad, Superboy, Miss Martian, Artemis, and Kid Flash as they form a team that does covert-ops for the Justice League, well, that's how it starts. It gets pretty nuts from there.

Young_Justice_TV_series.PNG

Season 2 just started on Saturday and I have to say, HOLY SHIT I did not see that coming. Talk about not being afraid to change things up!

The team flashes forward 5 years so all the kids from the previous season are now adults, some of them leading a new team with tons of new characters. Dick is Nightwing now for example, and some previous members have joined the Justice League.

Anyone else watching this? If not I can't recommend it enough.

Goddamn it, whyd you have to make this topic after invasion? This will do nothing to abate my status as a hatemonger.

Loved the first season, in large part because the team was developed and grew together, and suddenly they ditch all that for invasion and i just wept. Im hoping they take the time, but you cant just

fast forward five years and have superboy and meghan not in a relationship and gloss it over without more than a sideways glance.

First season was glorious, so the second season gets watched.

Edited by Maldron

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the time skip. Time is rarely used well in television, and it is especially not used well in animated series. Nightwing is team leader, Babs is Batgirl. Cassie is around. The time jump was a brilliant move. I'm sure we'll get to why Megan and Connor broke up (prolly so he can get with Cassie, just sayin') but I love how much the univere has expanded in this episode.

Also, who was the Black dude at the computer all episode? I couldn't place his name.

I think my main problem stems from my perception of the first season, where it was at its weakest when dealing with the overarching plot except for like in the last five episodes. This first episode wasn't about any fthe chacters as much as it was about the fights. Plus Blue Beetle was just terribad at talking to himself, i'm not even sure if his VA is somebody who's even met a real hispanic accented person.

*Watches him voice molten man in Spectacular Spider man in a rather flawless english. makes aah noises. Notice he's named Eric Lopez, becomes unsure.*

I guess my problem is that each of the heroes in the first season were given an identity. We had slow moments with Bruce and Dick, as well as with Bruce and Clark that spoke volumes to the characters of the world. Flash with his souveniers, and all that. Now we're five years in the future and Zatara's on the same team as Fate, and Connor and Meghan broke up, and a lot of the central characters weren't there. I want to believe they'll take the time, but the sheer volume of new heroes accompanied with the immediacy and central focus of the "invasion" plot makes me worry about whether this new batch will even have the time for that kind of treatment. But five years where finding speedy, dealing with Match, and dealing with Vandal Savage just plain went nowhere makes me sad.

I'm not against what's happening. I just want to have had the opportunity to watch those five years, I guess.

Wiki says that was Mal Duncan, Aka Guaridan//Hornblower/Herald.

Edited by Maldron

I have never seen this program.

I appreciate that they're using the only good Kon-El costume.

Tru dat. The T-shirt and Jeans combo is better than any other Superboy outfit ever. It just works. The new one in the cmoics is pretty bleh, but still better than most.

Anyhow, I heard Teen Titans ended up being pretty good, and I do mean to try it again at some point, but to me Titans is always about the Perez/Wolfman run, and while I heard the show took a lot from it, it was just too weird for me. I like that Young Justice is close in style to the old DCAU, and it isn't too kiddie. Superhero shows that are too kiddified just never work for me (though there were some good episodes of The Batman, they suceeded by being less pandering than the norm).

Anyhow, yeah Young Justice is just plain sweet, especially if you are a fan of the old school version of Kid Flash and Robin. I'm serious, this may be my favorite animated version of Robin ever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The last few YJ episodes have been pretty solid. Considering how the current and good Avengers series is being cancelled in favor of a Jeph Loeb-approved kid-friendly Avengers show in the mold of the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, I hope Young Justice gets more seasons and keeps doing what they're doing.

Also, the character G. Gordon Godfrey, introduced this season and voiced by the legendary Tim Curry, is just about my favorite thing in this show.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

And today marked the airing of the series's final episode. Although I didn't like the quick turn Invasion presented to the series, they definitely did good things with it, and the setup at the end of the episode would've made for some wonderful season three shenanigans which would've taken advantage of the black-ops nature of the group.

Oh well. Now we get "Beware the Batman" and "Teen Titans Go."

Fuck you, Cartoon Network.

Yeah, the series strove to have a much more complex story arc than any previous animated DC effort, and while that sometimes made it more complicated than it needed to be, usually I worked in its favor. Overall, I think it's fair to call it the best DC animated series since Batman Beyond. I do really like Teen Titans, but it's hard to compare that show to the more dramatic ones.

As for the new Teen Titans, I loved the old TT show, which was already pretty darn silly, and I like the Chibi shorts, but an entire series of Chibi style character-driven comedy that doesn't really involve an superheroic adventures, just typical teenager shenanigans? I'll give it a chance, but I'm going in with diminished expectations.

Edited by Reverend Jax