Hondo's Bar

Batman vs the Marvel Universe

The NZA

Batman vs Marvel U  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kOAZJ.jpg[/img]

i wanted to preface this by saying: I like batman. i also love seeing him take down those he shouldn't with skill and planning, like the famous Superman fight in Dark Knight Returns # 4. what i don't like is when that lazily becomes a habit and he handles people well out of his league without anything more than "lol he's the goddamn batman", it's like watching Wolverine take down Lobo....no, man. just no.

from a writing perspective, i think this actually weakens a character, personally - so i wanna see what youg usy think of Bats' odds in a straight fight with some of marvel's best, on obviously varying tiers. [b]For the sake of Batman's code, these fights are not necessarily to the death[/b].
I'll go first with a few of em:

[b]Daredevil[/b]: i'm obviously a huge fan, and i'd agree with many others that this would be a fantastic fight. Matt's quite sharp as well, but unfortunately, it would last only as long as it took bats to sort out his power set, because DD has been thrown off/taken down with sonics int he past, and that's likely something he'd have on him, or possibly be able to improvise in a pinch. I love Matt but i really don't think he can close this before that happens - odds would be like 3-1 if not worse.

[b]Iron Fist[/b]: Another great fight, and if it was a straight martial arts one like bats has had to do with Ra's, it'd be even cooler. Wayne knows more arts, but i subscribe to Bruce Lee's approach: "I fear not the [i]man[/i] who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the [i]man[/i] who has practiced [i]one[/i] kick 10000 [i]times." [/i]That said, wayne's taken on martial artists above his level before, so i think he has this one too.

[b]Black Panther[/b]: I honestly haven't read much Panther since Priest's run years back. Baytor implies it's a lock, as he's handled an army of super skrulls before, but id like to see his take detailed here.

[b]Blade[/b]: Would only win if batman got vamp'd/feral. I haven't read much of his stuff outside Tomb of Dracula though, admittedly.

[b]Iron Man[/b]: billionaire playboy vs the same, only Stark has hardware that probably gives Wayne a stiffy. I also don't see bats out-thinking him, but i'd like to see everyone's take on this fight first.

[b]Moon Knight[/b]: this would be hands-down the coolest looking poster image of a fight (Finch all the way), and Spector's got experience and expensive toys too, only not as good. He just kind've handled [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Nefaria"]Count Nefaria [/url]who's way, way above his level but mainly with prep time and then an Avengers bailout...yeah, i honestly don't think his odds are good here either.

i'll comment on others as i go, i just wanted to have some fun & throw this out there. i know there's gonna be Haku-esque [i]"he has to win! he's batman! :love: " [/i]votes but it'd be cool if examples were given as to how he'd win or lose the fight. also, if stats/tiers/examples etc are needed on anyone lemme know, ill dig stuff up.

Daredevil - Daredevil and Batman are practically the same character, except Daredevil is blind. His abilites are kind of an edge except Batman's got a gizmo that works just like Matt's power. And he's also got concussion grenades and all kinds of shit that makes the fight go to his advantage. Edge: Batman

Iron Fist - Admittedly I don't know as much about this character as I'd like to. So I'll defer to other opinions where this is concerned. Edge: Iron Fist?

Ghost Rider - While Ghost Rider's power varies wildly depending on who the host is and whether or not their desire to kick ass meshes with the spirit of vengeance's desire to kick ass, he's in a whole other weight class. Ghost Rider is one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel universe and when he's all juiced up he's up there with Nova and the Silver Surfer. I have a hard time imagining how Batman could even hurt him much less defeat him, his dealings with Etrigan the demon serve to support that point. But Batman has dabbled in magic occasionally though not often, so I would be open to discussion on this. Edge: Ghost Rider

Black Panther - I discussed this in my VS. thread, anything Batman does/can do T'Challa can do and probably do better because while Batman has a multimillion dollar company to support his crusade, Panther has the gross-national product of one of the most technologically advanced nations in the world and he can use prep time to his advantage just as much as Batman can. Edge: Panther.

Hawkeye - Formidable fight but Hawkeye's most easily comparable DC counterparts (Green Arrow and Deadshot) haven't fared well against Batman and I don't think Clint would either. Batman ain't trifling with no whack ass trick arrows and any other fighting he's no doubt superior to Hawkeye in. Edge: Batman

The Punisher - If he's written by anybody other than Garth Ennis, Frank is going to get his ass kicked and then get a stern talking to about vigilantism and the sanctity of human life. In fact this did actually happen in a fair to middling crossover in the 90s. Frank's a soldier but he's not much of a fighter and he's not going to shoot somebody on the side of good so, he's getting a bat-whuppin. Edge: Batman

Nova - I don't know much about Nova but isn't he around about Silver Surfer levels of power with no major weaknesses? Is the helmet what gives him his power because I could see that being exploited, otherwise I don't know what he could do. Edge: Nova?

Blade - Is going to get fucking ruined. Edge: Batman

Iron Man - A lot of ways Bruce could devise to fuck up Stark's armor and then beat his ass. Edge: Batman

Moon Knight - I love me some Moon Knight, but Batman kicked Azrael's ass and there's no reason why he can't do the same think to Moon Knight. Edge: Batman

Thor - If we're talking classic Thor where he turns back to a man with a bum leg when he doesn't hold onto his hammer for more than a minute, Batman. If we're talking about modern Thor then there's really no contest here. Edge: Thor

Spider-Man - While Batman is the king of prep-time, Spidey's good at thinking on his feet. He's agile, he's smart, he's strong, and he has an early warning sense which are going to give him an edge in this fight. I do see how Spider-Man might get cocky and that could work against him though, he would also hold back knowing Batman is full-up mortal. I can't say definitively who I'd pull for here. Edge: Tie.

Hulk (Joe Fixit) - See "The Thing" Edge: Batman

Hulk (Green Scar) - Maybe Batman could emply some of those magical de-Hulking nanites, otherwise. No contest. Edge: Hulk, probably

Hulk (Dumb Hulk) - Having fought Solomon Grundy/Blockbuster/Shaggy Man/Killer Croc on a regular basis, Batman wins this fight whilst eating a sandwich with one hand and is home in time for Law and Order. Edge: Batman.

Dr. Strange - Right now Strange isn't so great, but I'll pretend he's still sorcerer supreme for this. There's a big if in this fight: IF Batman can disable Strange's hands, he wins, period. If not he's pretty fucked. Edge: Strange.

The Thing - Ben's a hell of scrapper, but a scrapper he is still. He's not terribly tactical or smart and tends to just punch things until they stop hitting back. Edge: Batman.

Cyclops - Something something leadership skills, blah. Remove visor, kick in balls, end fight. Edge: Batman.

Mr. Fantastic - Mr. Fantastic's powers are not actually stretching, it's his uncanny ability to build a gun that suits whatever purpose he needs (except breaking Sue of her whoring ways.) His stretchy power also gives him an advantage, I don't think Plastic Man and Batman have ever fought but if Batman comes to this fight expecting a Ralph Dibney level doofus, he's going to get hurt bad. Edge: RICHAAAAARDS!

Oops, forget one:

Magneto - The only way I see this going Batman's way is if he knocks Magneto cold early on or manages to set up a battleground with no metal at all present. Edge: Magneto

I'll talk about who I don't think he an beat:

Ghost Rider - I just don't see any way this could work out. Hellfire brah. Not even remotely in the same weight class. Gadgets, kicks, batarangs and punches don't mean shit to Ghost Rider. Penance stare would probably fuck batman's shit up too. Not because he's done bad things, but because he feels he hasn't done things as well as he could have. The downfall of a messianic complex.

Black Panther - He's probably smarter than Batman. He has access to the most advanced technology in the world (and vibranium). With his suit it's hardly a fight. Without it, it's still a lock.

Nova - It's a weight class thing again. You ask me who's cooler, I'll tell you Batman every time, but Nova has a lot of power at his fingertips.

Thor - I'm not even sure how Batman could hurt Thor, much less survive any sort of connecting blow that was launched with the intention of doing serious harm.

Spider-Man - He's smart enough to keep his distance and get an idea of what he's dealing with. Spider sense is going to null any basic projectiles. Once he moves in, he'll move in fast and hard.

Magneto - It takes some custom gear to ruin Magneto's day, and if your universe doesn't feature terrorists that can manipulate the magnetic field, you probably aren't carrying them in your utility belt. Magneto could literally crush him.

good post, interesting points so far. kinda mad i forgot to vote for Punisher, he'd lose for sure and already has in JLA/Avengers. i was holding out for Hawkeye but forgot i cant edit in my vote later in these public ones, oh well.

ya'll really don't think Stark has a chance here? he's had a lotta people fuck up his armor and still improvised/come out on top, worst i can think of is what the Kree did to his newtork.

i thought Reed was an interesting one because a) arent the FF kinda cosmic-lite level power? and b) he's one person Wayne can't out-think

Hulk (Dumb Hulk) - Having fought Solomon Grundy/Blockbuster/Shaggy Man/Killer Croc on a regular basis, Batman wins this fight whilst eating a sandwich with one hand and is home in time for Law and Order. Edge: Batman..

yup, that one already happened once too, bats kinda danced around him, wasn't even as hard as i thought it'd be.

Cyclops - Something something leadership skills, blah. Remove visor, kick in balls, end fight. Edge: Batman.

true, but i think people forgot his power - he's focused that beam enough to kill apocalypse. but yeah, if he gets the visor off, problems.

logans:

Black Panther - He's probably smarter than Batman. He has access to the most advanced technology in the world (and vibranium). With his suit it's hardly a fight. Without it, it's still a lock.

but you don't think some of that applies to Tony?

Thor - I'm not even sure how Batman could hurt Thor, much less survive any sort of connecting blow that was launched with the intention of doing serious harm.

that was like the core of my wolvy vs argument though

dammit i forgot to add Deadpool, thoughts on that one?

ps haha axel you got some 'splainin to do

The difference between Black Panther and Tony Stark is that without the armor Tony's kinda tricky but he's still a recovering alcoholic who probably doesn't get a lot of exercise. T'Challa is the avatar of a very powerful god, is in peak phsyical condition, is as smart if not smarter than Batman, AND has all kinds of nifty gadgets in his suit. So he's got smarts, strengths, magic, and science on his side so it's hard to see this going any other way.

Deadpool has been beaten by The Punisher before, if we're talking to the death then Deadpool wins by default but to submission I think the edge is easily Batman's.

He can't restrain Thor either. That big fuck would break the cuffs and laugh at the goo gun. Shit comes to shit, he can summon lightning for fuck sake.

but you don't think some of that applies to Tony?

Not really. I think you're underestimating Black Panther. He's around the same league as Richards and Doom, but with the knowledge of combat and military tactics that comes from being a warrior king. AND he has a badass suit.

Stark is an engineer. And a damn good one. Batman COULD build a fancy suit if he wanted to, but he knows it isn't a good idea to become reliant on things like that.

Stark is very much reliant on the Iron Man suit for any kind of super heroics. He doesn't just neglect his body, he physically abuses it. I just see Batman figuring out a way to get the tuna out of the can.

i thought Reed was an interesting one because a) arent the FF kinda cosmic-lite level power? and b) he's one person Wayne can't out-think

But how is Reed at battle tactics and actual fights? I ask because I'm not really that familiar with him (never really interested me).

Different weight class.

dammit i forgot to add Deadpool, thoughts on that one?

He'd quickly figure out how whimsical Deadpool can be and offer him a badge/deputization (he's turned on allies for less), then figure out how to beat him once he's noticed the advanced healing. :2T:

logan - fair point on Stark, i just dont think it's an easy assumption that Tony hasnt had people nearly his intellect level trying to get him outta the suit. i don't know how wayne'd manage it.

But how is Reed at battle tactics and actual fights? I ask because I'm not really that familiar with him (never really interested me).

Different weight class.

i wanna say his tactics arent bad, ive seen him plan for his/other teams but he mainly rolls up into a ball and traps things or hits them in lesser books ive read. i guess i assumed this was a battle of the minds.

and yeah obviously very different weight classes, i was just trying to show that the assumption bats and logans hung in the same one was incorrect as well.

He'd quickly figure out how whimsical Deadpool can be and offer him a badge/deputization (he's turned on allies for less), then figure out how to beat him once he's noticed the advanced healing. :2T:

haha, spoken like a true deadpool fan. i could very much see it going down that way, and it'd be glorious.

dammit axels, get back in here!

Ok, gonna admit alot of my voting is fan based/wishful thinking. I left out Moon Knight, Iron Fist, and Strange cause I'm not familiar enough with them to make a fair vote (I know Strange is a magician or something? and a doctor... that's about it). I will also say that I skimmed past the no prep time thing too, so I may have jumped the gun :2T:

Daredevil- He'd kick the ever living shit outta Daredevil. Batman vs. a Blind man isn't a fair fight at all.

Ghost Rider- Ok definitely fan based here. Though I'd like to see what a Penance stare does to Batman.

Black Panther- Basically a fight against Wolverine w/out healing? That's a major setback for this guy. He'd give Bats hell for sure though.

Hawkeye- c'mon.... (I know you guys like explanations.... but c'mon.)

Punisher- I've always wanted to see this fight. I think even no prep time, Batman has this easily though. His utility belt was built for this guy.

Nova- I just think this guy looks stupid... seriously though (again, I missed no prep time so votes can be changed) I'll give it to him. Cause really I'm not too keen on this guy either. I've read up on his powers and I just don't know that I understand em lol. Batman might, but not at first so he'd go down.

Blade- I really think Blade would be a tough fight, but he's half vampire and I think that's something that Batman would learn mid fight. Shit this is basically another Wolverine fight.... but for some reason I just don't see Blade winning this one. He's another tough one though.

Iron Man- Billionaire vs Billionaire. Batman has got to have electrical shit on that toolbelt pre-fight that would fuck up Stark.

Spider-Man- Another no prep time overlook. Batman wins in round 2 though definitely.

The Thing- Nah i can't come up with a good argument on this. Not for the first round. (I need to read slower next time). Well unless batman can get in close and use a timed/remote explosive on him.

Cyclops- Cyclops.

Mr. Fantastic- Batman pulls out his freeze spray or whatever he has on him. I see him carrying that on him into an unprepped fight.

Magneto- I didn't know I even picked magneto :\ Batman'll lose to him for sure. Musta clicked this one by mistake, sorry. :p

oh axel, you loveable scamp

(I know Strange is a magician or something? and a doctor... that's about it).

He'd kick the ever living shit outta Daredevil

Black Panther- Basically a fight against Wolverine w/out healing? h.

Nova- I just think this guy looks stupid... seriously though (again, I missed no prep time so votes can be changed) I'll give it to him. Cause really I'm not too keen on this guy either. I've read up on his powers and I just don't know that I understand em lol.

The Thing- Nah i can't come up with a good argument on this. Not for the first round. (I need to read slower next time).

Cyclops- Cyclops.

Magneto- Musta clicked this one by mistake, sorry. :p

isXDopmBJ2eDN.gif

i think nova > batman might be tagworthy

When he locks eyes with his victim, he can make them experience all the pain and suffering that they have inflicted on everyone in their lifetime, permanently damaging their soul in the process. The only person known to have recovered from the Penance Stare is Doctor Strange, but this was under exceptional circumstances and required the aid of an angelic being to restore him to normal.

I'm sure he could turn Bruce into a quivering puddle of goo on Mom/Dad issues alone.

I'm kinda on the fence about Cyclops, really. I went with my gut, and I think I may need retract that vote.

I can see some "...off my lawn" scenario where he just rips off his visor and turns Batman into component molecules before he can even touch the utility belt. Even if he gets some shit thrown, Cyclops has innate spacial/geometrical awareness, he'd knock any projectiles out of the air. Of course, after the first barrage Batman would throw something that he wanted knocked out of the air, but I don't think he would get the chance.

Cyclops is no slouch in hand-to-hand combat either. He's not on Batman's level, but he's definitely a highly trained combatant.

Optic blasts are a trump. There's no dodging an 80 ft. wall of death moving at the speed of light.

Edited by Thelogan

I'm kinda on the fence about Cyclops, really. I went with my gut, and I think I may need retract that vote.

I can see some "...off my lawn" scenario where he....

I think I may have a request for ASC now... :excellent:

OK, I'll talk about the ones I don't think he can beat, or at least has a major disadvantage with:

Iron Man: Up until he got his uber upgrades in the last decade or so, then maybe, Stark has money and ridiculous tech, and I'm sure he has EMP shielding. Not saying he couldn't beat him ever, but it would be tough. Earlier Iron Man would be a much closer fight.

Thor: Supes would have trouble with Thor, fuckin' electricity, and magic. Only one in DC who could probably take Thor is Captain Marvel, now THAT would be a fight.

Dr. Strange: With prep, no problem, with backup? Laughably easy, without any of those? Not so much.

Magneto: Maybe, but dude has gotten more and more ridiculous over the years and I just can't see bats getting in close enough to do much. If he can get in, then he can beat him to a paste, but yeah, not bloody likely. With prep though, ceramic Batarangs and a metal free suit and gear would make the fight interesting.

I think I also said he couldn't take Nova, but I know jack shit about him so no comments.

Oh, and Hulk depends on which version, Planet Hulk is absurd. 60's through80's hulk, yeah it could be done.

Edited by bishopcruz

i wonder if you could be sold on Black Panther? and yeah man, Nova's off the charts these days, i kinda put that as a joke to expose silly votes. speaking of, Haku ain't brave enough to post after that one, haha.

you're the first Iron Man vote so far, interestingly. I think Extremis Iron Man would've been overpowered, but he doesn't have that anymore. i wanna say his armor takes more than bats tends to carry, but Steve dented it with punches (assuming that was his default suit) so your guess is as good as mine.

i do think you're underestimating Strange (he's pulled off some pretty amazing shit) but id be lying if i said i had a firm grip on his power set. like, he's done some cosmic level shit i don't get at all with just magic/astral plane stuff, or pulled an artifact from his vault or something.

Strange is a badass. Especially with all of his gadgets (artifacts, whatever).

I can't tell you what he's been up to lately, but I own a ton of classic Dr. Strange. He's made more promises/is owed more favors/has more protection than mobster in prison.

He could take out nearly anyone, as long as he was willing to pay the price. A guy like Batman, however, wouldn't be that big of a deal. But someone like Worldbreaker Hulk may be more than he's worth. Strange might prefer to die than agree to serve a millenia of soul bondage to The Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth or whatever.

Cyclops.... Really? That dood is so weak and emotionally unstable.. How does anyone figure???

Batman can't beat fate so he def can't beat strange.. Hulk can beat Thor n batman can def beat hulk. (there's an actual comic for this unless I'm goin senile)

He possibly could beat magneto but ....magneto succumbs to wrath so delicious.

Nova.. Read you some Annihilation baby. There's just no way.

THANK YOU for putting "no prep" in the fine print.

Edited by IceManML

Cyclops.... Really? That dood is so weak and emotionally unstable.. How does anyone figure???

How do you figure he's weak? He's successfully taken on all of the X-Men at the same time just to prove a point. I understand people not voting for him because they don't like him, but be honest about it. He's incredibly powerful and has been intensely training for combat since he was a child.

GgY3o.jpg

WF2gv.jpg?1

WXntu.jpg?1

Edited by Thelogan

laljo.jpg

Re Cyclops: I think if the two were locked in a room and fought that, while Cyclops certainly does have the advantage of eye lazers, Bats still wins. You gotta put these characters' personalities into perspective I think (another factor that I'm sure is overlooked on certain picks we all made(is this thread to the death also? Cause if so this argument is null)). Cyclops isn't just gonna big blast Batman and be done with it. They're gonna scrap and he'll fire off some shots, Batman will adjust his tactics mid fight to that and ultimately, I think, will come out on top. It's different when fighting a Sentinal.

sheesh, the number of "what ifs" in these fights is ridiculous.