Hondo's Bar

Administrative leave

The NZA

Quite true, but she was having none of it. I'm surprised that my quality chat up line "I fucking love you" didn't work. I'm telling ya, skirts nowadays.

I think chick #2 at that table could've been coerced into a tryst. There was some dude meeting chick #1 (he was actually there with her when I went back), but chick #2 had fucked off. I'd say if we had've just waited a few more minutes. . . Damn Nick and his coddle demands.

(I'm dying to know how the coddle went actually - I liked the way I pushed him into getting the veg instead of the fries)

Aw man, 2T gets some serious props for his efforts today. They were like really fucking hot. It takes serious manballs (heh geddit?) to just approach that caliber of girl.

I met the man behind the legend and he lived up to it. A rare thing in life.

We finally have photo's. Let us go on a journey around Oi-r-land.

As always click on images to enlarge.

We start off in Cork City, where Nick's ancestors came from.

Nick was fascinated by the idea of "boxercise".

DSC_0001copy.jpg

Cool little lane way.

DSC_0003copy.jpg

We then went on a day trip to Kinsale Harbour (also in Co. Cork).

DSC_0014copy.jpg

DSC_0020copy.jpg

Cool old mast.

DSC_0024copy.jpg

The Nick poses in his inimitable way.

DSC_0057copy.jpg

After Cork we headed up to Galway City, where we met up with Shane (Crimsonfire).

Untitled-1copy.jpg

From there we went on an amazing bus tour around the Galway and Clare countryside. This is the part of Ireland people think of, when they think of Ireland.

We started off in Corcomroe Abbey. A 12th Century monastery, construction was started in 1194.

DSC_0098copy.jpg

DSC_0059copy.jpg

DSC_0062copy.jpg

DSC_0060copy.jpg

Nick stares up in awe, he was like a kid in a playground.

DSC_0063copy.jpg

DSC_0066copy.jpg

This was the doorway to the altar, it was made this small so that anyone entering into the altar would have to bow.

DSC_0070copy.jpg

The tomb of Eddard Stark, the head of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Lord Paramount of the North.

DSC_0079copy.jpg

DSC_0080copy.jpg

DSC_0086copy.jpg

Ezio waits for the perfect moment to assassinate his next target.

DSC_0094copy.jpg

Our next stop on the bus tour was a Fairy Fort or what Tolkein would like to call The Shire.

from wiki

Tradition claimed that ringforts were "fairy forts" imbued with Druids' magic and believers in the fairies did not alter them. The early pre-Celtic inhabitants of Ireland (known as the Tuatha Dé Danann and Fir Bolg) came to be seen as mythical and were associated with stories of fairies, also known as the "Good People". Fairy forts and prehistoric Tumuli were seen as entrances to their world.[3] Even cutting brush, especially the sceach or whitethorn, on fairy forts was reputed to be the death of those who performed the act.[4]

DSC_0108copy.jpg

DSC_0110copy.jpg

DSC_0111copy.jpg

The tree in the middle that was torn down by a "brave" farmer. There is a tradition of writing your wishes on paper attaching them to the tree and then burning them, in the hope that the fairies will grant your wish.

DSC_0112copy.jpg

DSC_0113copy.jpg

An enchanted Nick.

DSC_0116copy.jpg

DSC_0117copy.jpg

Our next stop of note was Poulnabrone Dolmen in the Burren

from wiki

Poulnabrone Dolmen (Poll na mBrón in Irish meaning "hole of the quern stones" (bró in Irish)") is a portal tomb in the Burren, County Clare, Ireland, dating back to the Neolithic period, probably between 4200 BC to 2900 BC.

DSC_0126copy.jpg

It's one best preserved Dolmens in all of Euro....ah for fuck's sake Shane, we're standing in a national monument, get off your fucking phone. More than a little impressed you can get a signal though, in an area that my mother would describe as "behind, the back of beyond".

DSC_0123copy.jpg

Nick, Shane and a big rock...epic.

DSC_0128copy.jpg

Random old house.

DSC_0132copy.jpg

Random old car.

DSC_0135copy.jpg

Non random, ancient Celtic high cross.

Also note angry Obama just to the left of the cross, he looks like he's about to fuck someone's shit right up.

DSC_0137copy.jpg

DSC_0142copy.jpg

Detail.

DSC_0139copy.jpg

Detail from the church housing the high crosses, love the colour of the lichen.

DSC_0146copy.jpg

Cool wall of fire and police badges, in the pub where we stopped for lunch and had some excellent award winning salmon.

DSC_0153copy.jpg

Random countryside.

DSC_0148copy.jpg

Old school Irish thatched cottage.

DSC_0158copy.jpg

Ireland Stonecutters chapter. No Nicks allowed (we can have one).

DSC_0157copy.jpg

Shadowfax, just chillin', waitin' for Gandalf.

DSC_0154copy.jpg

Next stop was by Nick's account the highlight of the trip, the Cliffs of Moher in Co. Clare.

from wiki

The Cliffs of Moher (Irish: Aillte an Mhothair)[1] are located at the southwestern edge of the Burren region in County Clare, Ireland.[2] They rise 120 metres (390 ft) above the Atlantic Ocean at Hag's Head, and reach their maximum height of 214 metres (702 ft) just north of O'Brien's Tower, eight kilometres to the north.[3] The cliffs receive almost one million visitors a year(1/6th the population of our country)

DSC_0169copy.jpg

DSC_0182copy.jpg

DSC_0187copy.jpg

Ambience? We do it right.

DSC_0193copy.jpg

Go...jump.

DSC_0194copy.jpg

Nick sits on the edge of Europe, looking back across at "home"...home's Canada right?

DSC_0199copy.jpg

DSC_0200copy.jpg

Shane, fucking terrified.

DSC_0211copy.jpg

Nick hangs onto the edge for securi...Jesus fucking Christ Shane, if you don't get off that fucking phone. To be fair, he was organising the next day off work so he could hang with us.

DSC_0222copy.jpg

Wow...those blacks dots along the top of the cliff? People.

DSC_0233copy.jpg

More random countryside.

DSC_0244copy.jpg

DSC_0251copy.jpg

The lads, wha?

DSC_0254copy.jpg

Our last stop of an amazing bus tour, Dunguaire Castle.

DSC_0257copy.jpg

Next and final leg of trip, Dublin City.

For Jax and Tulip, Jim Larkin. He was the first Irish trade union leader, and founder of the Trade Union Ireland and the Irish Labour Party.

DSC_0262acopy.jpg

Dublin GPO, the site where the Proclamation of the Republic (Declaration of Independence) was first read, the tricolour was first raised and Cassidy's brother kicked Michael Collins in the arse.

DSC_0263copy.jpg

Bullet holes from the 1916 rebellion.

DSC_0267copy.jpg

Just in front of that, the fucking....

DSC_0270copy.jpg

Spire.

DSC_0271copy.jpg

Fuck off a second, we has a 2track.

DSC_0265copy.jpg

Ross joins our reindeer games.

DSC_0266copy.jpg

He's here two minutes, and he has Nick drinking (what can only be described as horsepiss) in the streets.

DSC_0279copy.jpg

That's a hangover face if ever I saw one.

DSC_0281copy.jpg

2t in front of his "future self".

DSC_0286copy.jpg

Sgt Hondo's Lonely Nerds Club Band*, featuring their classic lineup:

Nick aka The NZA

Shane aka Crimsonfire

Ross aka The Division Of Joy

2track aka 2track

and Old lady in the red jacket.

DSC_0288copy.jpg

*I am so doing a tribute to that album cover using Hondonians and Hondonian memes.

Nick struggling to keep the horsepiss down.

DSC_0291copy.jpg

Oh God here it comes.

DSC_0292copy.jpg

Quick, wash the sick back down with more horsepiss, it's the Irish way.

DSC_0294copy.jpg

Shane and Ross look on with anxious smiles. "How the fuck are we going to explain to Kertins that Nick's liver exploded from 2track's horsepiss?"

DSC_0297copy.jpg

Nick, what if you tried...not drinking...horsepiss?

DSC_0298copy.jpg

Trinity College.

DSC_0303copy.jpg

I tried to take an arty shot here but 2t ruine...wait, photo's can only be bettered by 2t's presence, stoopid ASC.

DSC_0305copy.jpg

In Trinity we saw but weren't allowed to take photo's of,

The Book of Kells is one of the most famous and finest of a group of manuscripts in what is known as the Insular style, it is a masterwork of Western calligraphy and represents the pinnacle of Insular illumination. It is also widely regarded as Ireland's finest national treasure. Produced from the late 6th through the early 9th centuries in monasteries in Ireland, Scotland and England and in continental monasteries with Hiberno-Scottish or Anglo-Saxon foundations

KellsFol292rIncipJohn.jpg

KellsFol019vBrevCausLuke.jpg

And the Trinity College Library, it felt like walking into a Sherlock Holmes book.

Trinity.jpg

Afterwards we hit the pub, where Wayne (Soldier of Fortune) joins the fray.

(bad camera work can be blamed on horsepiss fumes)

DSC_0316copy.jpg

Words...there are none. But this picture has everything.

DSC_0319copy.jpg

Awesome cover variant. From the right angle NSFW, but not as much you want, ye can't handle that yet, why do ye think it took me so long to post these?

dsc_0319a.jpg

Shane reels from what he just witnessed and Cassidy is caught with his glasses off.

DSC_0321copy.jpg

Hondo's Irish chapter dick group shot.

DSC_0324copy.jpg

The exact moment Nick officially became Irish. I remember Nick described American Guinness as "like tar". After an Irish one? "cream"

DSC_0326copy.jpg

Tony and Steve enjoy some Shawarma (sloppy kebabs).

DSC_0339copy.jpg

Ross decides to raise his middle finger in a photo for a chan...wait, look at the plates, mine is licked clean, Ross' is empty, Shane's has a few scraps, but Nick's?

Jesus man, you're putting the legend of fat Americans to shame.

DSC_0343copy.jpg

Post drinks Ross and Nick starting slipping from our plane of existence. I think it may something to do with the fact that both their mothers fell in love with me, they now have to travel back to 1977 and 1986 respectively, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping that their next leap will be their leap home.

DSC_0354copy.jpg

Statue of James Joyce.

6-1.jpg

Nick touristing it up, in front of the Spire.

DSC_0370copy.jpg

The courtyard of Dublin Castle, the site where Britain handed control of Ireland back to the us after we won the War Of Independence. And where at the beginning of the ceremony "Lord Lieutenant Fitzalan remarked that (Michael) Collins had arrived seven minutes late for the 16 January 1922 ceremony, Collins replied, "We've been waiting over seven hundred years, you can have the extra seven minutes"".

2.jpg

3.jpg

Nick is impressed by the security measures.

DSC_0385copy.jpg

Padlocks of love on The Ha'penny bridge.

DSC_0374copy.jpg

Christchurch Cathedral.

DSC_0389copy.jpg

Inside

4.jpg

DSC_0399copy.jpg

DSC_0395copy.jpg

DSC_0405copy.jpg

DSC_0406copy.jpg

Underground in Chrustchurch's Crypt. Poor lighting so the photo's aren't great.

5.jpg

DSC_0414copy.jpg

I love the wording of this one. "who died in the seventy sixth year of his age".

DSC_0415copy.jpg

One of the famous Guinness black gates.

DSC_0425copy.jpg

Next stop Killmainham Gaol, many famous Irish political prisoners were held here, including Robert Emmet, C.S. Parnell and the leaders of the Easter 1916 Rising. and also several films were shot here, including In The Name Of the Father, Michael Collins and The Italian Job (the good one).

DSC_0427copy.jpg

DSC_0428copy.jpg

DSC_0430copy.jpg

The cell where Eamon de Valera was held, he was the only Easter Rising leader not assassinated as he was an American citizen.

DSC_0431copy.jpg

Sassin' the tour guide? That's a jailin'

DSC_0426copy.jpg

DSC_0442copy.jpg

DSC_0444copy.jpg

View from inside a cell.

DSC_0446copy.jpg

The site where the Easter Rising leaders were executed.

DSC_0459copy.jpg

Monument to those same rebels that were executed, outside the jail.

DSC_0466copy.jpg

DSC_0471copy.jpg

And an informative message from a Dublin local.

DSC_0473copy.jpg

What a nice way to end our tour. It was an epic trip, loved every second of it, I think (hope) Nick did as well. It was great having him here, hopefully he'll survive the second leg of his trip on the mainland and come back again soon.

p.s.

That cunt Janet Jackson stole our idea 2t, look at this shit.

4e2a0e2e.jpg

rs.jpg

Edit: corrected arty pic 2t "ruined".

Edited by alive she cried
  • Upvote 5