Hondo's Bar

Wreck It Ralph

Newtype

• 1 month later...

Watched this last night. It was alot of fun. So many subtle references and easter eggs, I can't wait to watch it with the ability to pause and rewind. The trailer gives a perfect sense the tone and feel of the movie. If the trailer made you smile, you should have fun watching the feature-length film.

On a side note, the animated short film, Paperman, that plays before the feature starts, it's absolutely beautifully animated. If you have a place in your heart for 2D animation, particularly 50's/60's style character designs (think the original 101 Dalmatians), this short will make you smile.

Watched this last night. It was alot of fun. So many subtle references and easter eggs, I can't wait to watch it with the ability to pause and rewind. The trailer gives a perfect sense the tone and feel of the movie. If the trailer made you smile, you should have fun watching the feature-length film.

On a side note, the animated short film, Paperman, that plays before the feature starts, it's absolutely beautifully animated. If you have a place in your heart for 2D animation, particularly 50's/60's style character designs (think the original 101 Dalmatians), this short will make you smile.

Seconded.

I also dug how Paperman wasn't an animated short for kids really. The no dialogue and no color gimmick didn't even come off as gimmicky--it just added to it's charm. Kudos to John Lasseter for getting Disney animation back in the game.

This was a fucking great movie. It really does stand to be this generation's Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It had the cameos, the jokes kids don't get, the nostalgia for an era its target audience has only read about in books, hell I could even see Jane Lynch's character being the Jessica Rabbit of this era. Best animated movie I've seen since Up.

• 2 years later...

I saw this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I went in expecting a good movie, but I was still surprised at how good this was. I was caught unawares at how emotionally powerful it managed to be.

The scene where he smashes her car because he thinks he's saving her life, was really hard to watch and excellently animated/acted.

The only issue I had, was that I'd liked to have seen them interact with more official games and characters. I mean, looking at that poster with Sonic front and centre up there, he had a blink and you'll miss moment in the background of one scene. It seemed to be erring on the side of false advertising for me, but the movie being so good made up for it.

"I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be, than me."

I totally agree. It was a good movie, but the way it was advertised, you'd think there would be more involvement with real video game characters. On the bluray, there's a featurette hosted by Chris Hardwick (god, remember Singled Out?) who points out A LOT of the blink-and-miss easter eggs and cameos in the movie.

I hear the sequel is going to focus on home consoles and Super Mario along w/ other classic video game characters are actually going to be a part of the story.

This generation's Roger Rabbit? Them's some mighty words, my friend! LOL