Hondo's Bar

Tim and Eric Awesome Show (great job!)

Ah yes, the "you don't get it so both the show and also I am superior" defense!

I've watched eight episodes. Never had a reason to laugh once. It's lazy satire coupled with boring gross-out and in a repeat-until-they-laugh-nervously environment. Except I don't laugh. The fourty-second buzzer, the repeated button presses for the phone, the rapid-fire automated responses for the party-snoozer. It doesn't suddenly become funny the eighth time unless you're high or sleep-addled because of its 2am air time.

But here, have a chuckle!

--------------------------

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Here she comes.

Ah yes, the' "it could only be funny if you're high or sleep deprived, and also I am superior" defense! See how that shit works?

Personally, I find that people who DON'T like certain things tend to feel far, far more superior about it than people who DO like those things.

And there was a reason I sandwiched the "people who don't get it" between two other types of people.

But it's moot. Humor, like music, is highly subjective. You can't say "No, that's just not funny" when sober, intelligent people are laughing hysterically at it. It's a battle you can't win. You're forced to either find a flaw in the humor or yourself, and most people are far too conceited to admit it's them, or you have to admit that people have different tastes and there is no "right" answer.

Fair enough point. Probably wouldn't have defaulted to that tact if not for the "I feast on your tears," bit, but hey.

My observed fault in the humor stands, it's repeat-until-laugh and i won't suddenly change my mind on whether it's funny or not thirty seconds into the same joke. That one didn't repeat it so much as it tried to make alcoholism the punchline. Which it just isn't, to me.

I wouldn't say that. Chris Titus has presented many of those subjects hilariously to me. But I don't see much in that Brule segment other than "look, he's drinking too much wine in a professional setting," and I don't think that's funny enough on its own. He's not doing anything other than drinking too much. He's not embarrassing himself beyond being messy, he's not revealing dark personal truths, he's not trying to stab mind-ghosts with a corkscrew. He's just knockin' 'em back and there ain't much funny in that to me. I mean, when I watch a friend drink way too fucking much and getting stupid, it's hilarious because i know the contrast. Drunk Brule isn't that honestly distinguishable from sober Brule.

I am the exception to the rule here, I think Tim and Eric are okay. In every episode I find 2-3 sketches I like and maybe 3-5 (usually short non-sequitor ones) I don't. They do fall back on Sideshow Bob and the Rakes bits a lot but there's some things that are just too genius to ignore. I mean sure the repeated canned lines were repeated line humor but the ridiculousness of what looks like a serial killer mask being used to fool guests at a party is not only ridiculous but also the

And in the Jackie Chan one it's not the buzzer that's funny, it's the way the smile fades off his face as he's doing it.

'Baytor's stance isn't much different from my own, when I think about it. They certainly don't hit paydirt every time, it's just that when I like a skit, I tend to like it A LOT.

The best way I've heard it described is "nightmare comedy". It's like this little slice of public access culture and something is just wrong with it. There's almost always something in an episode that makes you more uncomfortable than amused, or perhaps you laugh because you're so nervously uncomfortable.

It's damn hard to quantify. Like Apple Jacks, I can't explain why I like it. I just do.

I loooove Tim and Eric.

I know you do. I have some interesting news in that department. I've just friended

because I had a question for him. I have learned that he is HAPPY to sit on people for a reasonable fee.

Now, he lives in Kentucky, so that fee normally includes flight, hotel and meals, BUT he's going to be in the DFW area in August. So it would just be a sitting fee.

I think I may have found you the perfect early birthday present. I'll keep you updated.

• 1 month later...