Hondo's Bar

Hondoshare Strikes Again

Thelogan

So I had a bit of an idea and I thought I'd run it past the community.

There are a lot of free image hosting sites out there, but they all seem to have some sort of issue. I've had tinypic delete things minutes after I've uploaded them, Photobucket is so bogged down that it can be unreliable.

Imgur seems to work pretty well, but if no one views your image for 6 months they can delete it. I'd like to pull down some of the old pics that were uploaded directly to the board (back when the people foolishly had such abilities) and re-host them elsewhere, but I certainly don't want them to disappear forever into the ether.

So then I saw Imgur Pro.

It has unlimited image uploads, up to 5mb per image (that's a good sized .gif) and images are never removed.

It's also nice and speedy and doesn't have ads. All for a pretty reasonable $23.95 per year.

I was thinking we could just have a Hondos account that any of us could upload to/access. This would provide a stable place for any of us to easily host images, plus go back and quickly snag them, or even organize them by albums. And they'd be there forever.

Would anyone else be interested in this, or have a better idea? I personally really like Imgur, it's streamlined and lets you edit sizes easily.

I'd be willing to bet I could talk Nazzler into splitting it with me, but if a few of us wanted to pitch in it could make the cost virtually insignificant.

What say you, Hondos?

• Upvote 2

Yeah, we would share the password, but the worst that could happen is someone changes it.

I'll have it tied to a secure email address (which I won't share) and I'll change it back.

Since this is a 3rd party host with no image content restrictions, we don't really have to worry about it being "hacked".

This could be cool. It'd be a cool place to really push memes since Hondo's seems so set on creating one lol. Tagging things the right way could make them internet famous. Hell, that was already proven with your framed Skyrim Map (you put that on imgur I assume) Does imgur get back the right to delete after the year? Not that it would be a problem, but things could happen.

I would assume if the account lapsed they could start deleting again, but I'd just set it up to auto-renew (assuming it works as we expect).

Even if no one pitches in, I'm not gonna miss any meals over $24 a year. I think it would be worth it to have a dedicated, unlimited, reliable image host.

And one without this:

wnMN7.jpg

Was it Flickr? 200 image limit and the above loading pic.

Was it Photobucket? Slow as fuck. Sometimes so slow that linked images from it won't show up until the page is refreshed.

Like I said, if someone knows a good one that doesn't remove your shit eventually and has unlimited storage, let me know.

Can you not just save the image and load it here in Hondos? How about making a public bank for images on this server?

-or

link up images via drop box or other file sharing sites (mite be talking outta my ass on this one).. just some free alternatives

Though Hondos is already being paid for no?

Edited by IceManML

Can you not just save the image and load it here in Hondos? How about making a public bank for images on this server?

Technically, yes we could. But the more space we use, the more it costs us to host the site. And it can add an uncomfortable variable that would only increase.

We also run the risk of other message boards hotlinking to OUR images and increasing our traffic. This is one of the reasons hotlinking sucks.

This would mainly be used for the event you want to post a picture (although it will be open for any use. Unlimited storage = do whatever the hell you want). A lot of the time, people will just copy the url for the image and post it. This works sometimes, but other times the site will deny the hotlink and it leaves a broken link.

With the free image hosts, they eventually delete images. This leads to situations where you're looking over a thread that's more than 6 months old and you see

d1hDw.jpg

ZOMG THAT'S THE FUNNIEST PICTURE I'VE EVER SEEN!

and it ends in tears.

At this point, I plan on getting this going regardless. Unless someone knows of a better place to go.

I'll sit on it to get the opinion of Nazzlers first (I'm trying hard not to bug him with stuff that can wait), but plan on it being available sometime in the near future.

And MH, Flickr is MUCH better than nothing, and thank you for your efforts! I just find the idea of having an infinite image host really appealing.

I was trying to look at Imageshack, but it looks alot more expensive, and I couldn't find any real explanation on different plans (of course I was probably not looking very hard). In any event, I've gotten very used to imgur, especially the multiple uploading from the web.

i like this idea - and logans is right, this imgur habit of mine means so many thread OP's are gonna have :x: after six months of no hits.

i was just reading that dropbox is giving out up to 5 GB accounts for trying out their beta software, ive had good experience with the prior version personally but it'd require a shared password as well as people installing it (pretty easy to use). it's not a fuckton of space but for images it'd last quite a while, i think...another option, anyway.

Was given these links by a friend when I asked if he had any additional info on Dropbox.

Security Now Episode 349 Transcript -

Description: After catching up with the week's news, Steve and Leo examine ALL of the various cloud-based synchronizing, storage and backup solutions they could find. Steve surveys each one in turn, and Leo chimes in with his own personal experience with many of the offerings. They conclude that SpiderOak looks like the winner, though Jungle Disk is still in the running.

Security Now Episode 350 Transcript -

Description: During this special Q&A episode, Steve and Iyaz host an entirely Twitter-driven Q&A episode, caused by the flurry of interest created by last week's focus upon Cloud Storage Solutions. After catching up with the week's security-related events, they zip through 21 tweets, then focus upon and examine the security architecture of one controversial and popular cloud storage provider: Backblaze.

• 3 weeks later...