Hondo's Bar

Ya, he's pretty ridiculous, but unless you hold rotten tomatoes as some kind of sacred institution, he's harmless, and I think fun to read. The New York Press is a tiny, alternative paper that has a lot of weird shit in it; he's not exactly hurting anyone's box office. He's also actually really well versed in films. It wouldn't be as fun if it was just some bro dude laying into our favorite Pixar movies. He also writes a fair amount for criterion, and that stuff is good, and free of any ridiculousness.

It was fun as hell from start to finish. I went to see it with my fourteen year old cousin and for once I was getting just as excited as him. Near shat myself when they engaged the "elbow rocket".

I also need a gif of Idris Elbas reaction to getting his arm grabbed. I think The Wire fans just saw Stringer Bell about to kill a motherfucker for a split second.

proxy_large.jpg

Looking back at these posters, I don't think we saw this guy in action. Which is a shame cause I really loved that awesome name.

Scratch that. I just don't recognize it as Idris Elba's Jaegar from Mako's flashback.

Edited by axel_napalm

From Box Office Mojo's weekend report:

Pacific Rim was always expected to do great business in Asia, but few expected it to do this well: the movie opened to an incredible $45.2 million in its first five days in China, which is Warner Bros. biggest opening ever. Overall, the movie took in $53 million this weekend, and its overseas total is now just over $200 million. With Spain, Brazil and (most notably) Japan opening Friday, Pacific Rim should have no problem getting to $300 million by the end of its run.

Here's to hoping strong overseas numbers more than make up for the lukewarm reception here.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing that makes me think this might have a chance of actually being good is that Del Toro is the director. If not for him, I would be dismissing this as the Battleship of Summer 2013.

Honestly, this could very well be like Transformers, but good. Take everything about Transformers that is good, and put it in a movie that doesn't suck.

heh

Will western audiences have the same enthusiasm I wonder? Japanese kids are practically raised on this stuff whereas it's the preserve of a smallish social group for us whiteys. I, for one, have never been all that into Japanese stuff.

Pacific Rim

Domestic: $38,300,000 - 41.9%

Foreign: $53,000,000 - 58.1%

Worldwide: $91,300,000

Guess I'll never see this type of movie ever again.

spiderman_crying.gif

If I had to guess, I'd say that the message Hollywood is taking from Pacific Rim under-performing is "don't think star power and big names are irrelevant."

From Box Office Mojo's weekend report:

[/size][/font][/color]

Here's to hoping strong overseas numbers more than make up for the lukewarm reception here.

shut your stupid worrisome mouths

c9df4613e50543eea79059f99b824a511AhRSB.gif

Pacific Rim Makes Over $400 Million Worldwide

Guillermo del Toro’s widely praised action adventure “Pacific Rim” has crossed $400 million dollars at the worldwide box office, becoming the director’s highest grossing film ever. The announcement was made today by Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, President, International Distribution and Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures; and Legendary Pictures.

Internationally, “Pacific Rim” is still in release in a number of territories and has grossed $302 million thus far. In China alone, the film is the biggest of any Warner Bros. Pictures release ever and the fifth-biggest MPA film gross in China’s cinema history. The film’s record-breaking release in China also furthers Legendary’s growing presence in the territory.

“The worldwide performance of ‘Pacific Rim’ is a clear testament to the quality and originality of Guillermo’s world-building,” said Jon Jashni, President and Chief Creative Officer, Legendary Entertainment. “We are pleased that audiences continue to respond so passionately.”

“From Moscow to Beijing, ‘Pacific Rim’ has captivated critics and audiences alike in markets all over the world, and become a box office juggernaut,” Kwan Vandenberg said. “Congratulations to Guillermo, his cast and crew, and our partners at Legendary for this exciting benchmark.”

Fellman added, “Critics and early screening audiences were the first to love ‘Pacific Rim’ and it’s exciting to watch the whole world follow suit. We congratulate Guillermo and his team on both sides of the camera, as well as Legendary, for the tremendous success of this film around the globe.”

i wish chicken little bishop/gunsmith were here with that night's hollywood sales-age woes to see this too...also, chinese poster is nice:

08074_01085004.P2043625972_2013%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7%89%87_copy1.JPG

• 1 year later...

Looks like he wants Pacific Rim 2 to directly set-up and lead into Pacific Rim 3.

mild spoilers follow!

“some of your favorite characters come back, some others don’t because we have decided that we’re going to shoot ambitiously and say ‘Let’s hope we have three movies,’ so some characters come in at the end of the second, hoping that it will ramp up on the third one. I hope people like it, but you're going to get a very different experience from the first one.”

I didn't come in to shout at clouds. I was looking for a discussion.

I watched this really hyped, after all the...hype. I really can't comprehend why this is so revered and Transformers is so reviled. The human characters are no more defined, are as secondary to the plot, which is itself secondary to the mindless action and the action is not exactly groundbreaking or original.

i don't rightly care about transformers, but...how many godzilla films did you watch growing up?

i watched a bunch, and what you're saying about this is true about all of them too, for the most part. i guess it's kind've a genre expectation thing - i don't typically look for deep plot/characterization in kung-fu flicks either, but i love many of them to death.

While I'll second that Transformers is overly reviled, I felt the action worked very well in Pacific Rim and that all the characters not played by Charlie Hunnam (or however it's spelled) were pretty well done. They wasted Clifton Collins Jr. but a lot of movies do that and the world building was top notch and gave the movie a good deal of depth it would otherwise lack. Also giant mech movies are pretty generally outright awful so it gets a few handicap points for that.

That said, the whole "seeding a sequel" idea makes me cringe. Movies work better when they're self contained or like, say, Lord of the Rings, parts of one big movie. If Del Toro has a straight plan for these two movies that he will execute and isn't just flying by the seat of his pants then, sure, I begrudgingly accept, but I still don't like it.

To clarify, I feel Transformers is rightly reviled. Just terrible, terrible movies.

i don't rightly care about transformers, but...how many godzilla films did you watch growing up?

i watched a bunch, and what you're saying about this is true about all of them too, for the most part. i guess it's kind've a genre expectation thing - i don't typically look for deep plot/characterization in kung-fu flicks either, but i love many of them to death.

That makes more sense, I never watched much Godzilla growing up, just the crappy 1998 Hollywood version. I also haven't watched any Mecha anime. I had also just watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time before seeing this. As I said though, if a movie is a lot of fun, I'll give it a pass for poor story/charcaters. Like The Raid, that was so exhilarating and original, this was just huge robots and monsters punching each other and falling over, and I grew out of my Power Rangers phase years ago :2T:

While I'll second that Transformers is overly reviled, I felt the action worked very well in Pacific Rim and that all the characters not played by Charlie Hunnam (or however it's spelled) were pretty well done. They wasted Clifton Collins Jr. but a lot of movies do that and the world building was top notch and gave the movie a good deal of depth it would otherwise lack. Also giant mech movies are pretty generally outright awful so it gets a few handicap points for that.

I agree that the Asian girl's backstory worked and was the only part of the movie that interested me. I'd have loved for the movie to focus on her.

You and everyone else. Maybe Pacific Rim 2 can do a Hellboy 2 and take the focus away from the bland white guy reacting to things and put it on the characters we like. More Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, and that creepy fucker from Game of Thrones that looks like a cross between H.P. Lovecraft and Brad Dourif.

You and everyone else. Maybe Pacific Rim 2 can do a Hellboy 2 and take the focus away from the bland white guy reacting to things and put it on the characters we like. More Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, and that creepy fucker from Game of Thrones that looks like a cross between H.P. Lovecraft and Brad Dourif.

You mean Burn Gorman?