Hondo's Bar

I didn't come in to shout at clouds. I was looking for a discussion.

I watched this really hyped, after all the...hype. I really can't comprehend why this is so revered and Transformers is so reviled. The human characters are no more defined, are as secondary to the plot, which is itself secondary to the mindless action and the action is not exactly groundbreaking or original.

When I watched this in the theater in IMAX 3D I thought it really lived up to the hype. However, I was hesitant to really say it was a "great" film because I didn't know if it would hold up on the small screen w/out the assistance of the giant IMAX screen and 3D--I'm actually one of the rare ones around here who likes 3D action films. But I re-watched it this summer for the first time since seeing it in the theater and I thought it held up beautifully. Getting in to comparing PR to any of the Transformers films is a whole other bag for me (mostly because nostalgia), and really they aren't in the same ballpark because Michael Bay is good at pacing and filming giant set pieces whereas Del Toro is great at directing period. So PR is a fully developed and realized film with a world that has its own clear set of rules. And while the characters are almost completely action/genre film archetypes, I found the humor and tone of the film overall to be captivating.

...that creepy fucker from Game of Thrones that looks like a cross between H.P. Lovecraft and Brad Dourif.

That's where I know him from! I knew he looked familiar.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
That's what a fucker gets for fucking w/ Jon Snow.

okay i haven't really fucked with transformer flicks beyond rifftrax so correct me if i'm wrong, but: like godzilla 2000, aren't they usually too long & spend way too much time on the boring humans to cover up the fact that the meat of the experience (big things hitting each other) is incredibly expensive and they need to fill up the rest of the time? because that formula is kinda ripe for poor pacing

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Pacific Rim 2 on 'indefinite hold'

Legendary wanted to produce a sequel to del Toro's Pacific Rim, which was made under the Warners deal and turned into one of those films that grosses a lot ($411 million worldwide) while being so costly that a follow-up isn't a sure thing. Sources say Legendary liked that the original performed exceptionally well in China, where the company is heavily invested, but for now the project — which had been ramping up to make a release date in August 2017 — has been halted indefinitely and will be pushed back (if it gets made at all).

bu2bVAr.png

seriously, between this & Silent Hills, not a good year for Del Toro or his fans...really sucks.

article does have some comments on other monster stuff:

Now that Legendary has moved Kong, that settles a brewing argument over the script's references to Monarch, the secret government entity in Godzilla that employed the characters played by Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins. Obviously, the inclusion of Monarch in Kong is a move to tie the ape into a hoped-for Godzilla "universe." Warners, which held onto the right to participate in any Godzilla sequel, did not relish the idea of a Godzilla element in a Universal-backed Kong movie.

A threshold problem is that Kong supposedly is much smaller than Godzilla. That fact was not lost on Universal. "There were funny comments about him having to be the size of the Empire State Building instead of hanging off of it," says a studio insider. But a source close to Tull says Legendary is confident it can come up with a rationale to explain how Kong and Godzilla can do battle — and possibly become allies.

• 2 weeks later...

Still happening! Straight from Universal.

Here’s what Universal had to say about the follow-up:

Legendary’s Pacific Rim 2, originally scheduled for release on August 4, 2017, will be redated at a later time. The filmmakers, Legendary and Universal Pictures are committed to having Pacific Rim 2, the sequel to 2013’s Pacific Rim, which generated more $411 million at the global box office, be the vanguard, fully-immersive experience that the franchise deserves. To this end, the decision was made to delay the production and release of Pacific Rim 2 so that the creative team can continue in its efforts to exceed the amazing experience of the first film.

• 4 months later...

Steven Deknight, Daredevil Season 1 showrunner to direct Pacific Rim 2!

Actually less surprising than I thought considering GDT seems to be signed up for countless other projects at any given time. As long as he is involved I'm game, plus the Daredevil guy on this should be pretty good!

MELRVE7.gif

That's a metaphor for my penis

• 3 months later...

John Boyega cast as the lead

The news comes courtesy of Deadline, and the outlet reports that Boyega will play the son of the character played by Idris Elba in the Guillermo del Toro-directed original film.

I am very proud and happy to welcome John into a fantastic sandbox,” said del Toro. “The Pacific Rim universe will be reinforced with him as a leading man as it continues to be a multicultural, multi-layered world. ‘The World saving the world’ was our goal and I couldn’t think of a better man for the job.”

Steven S. DeKnight is directing Pacific Rim 2, which will begin production in the fourth quarter of this year.

Thomas Tull, Mary Parent, Jon Jashni, and del Toro will produce the action adventure film along with Boyega and Femi Oguns under their Upper Room Productions shingle. Cale Boyter is executive producer.

Still on track looks like! I'll take any excuse to post this mashup also

I'm pretty sure he's writing it, and that he's definitely a producer on it. Director choice is solid too, having been the showrunner for Daredevil S1. It could end up being a big pile of crap though for sure, but if they can make it I say why not.

• 4 weeks later...