Hondo's Bar

Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy movie incoming!

At the press junket for The Avengers today, Marvel Studios' President of Production Kevin Feige slipped some information about The Guardians of the Galaxy to CraveOnline, the first concrete news of the film since it was announced back in August 2011. Feige confirmed that the upcoming film will portray the modern incarnation of the team, which includes such intergalactic superheroes as Star-Lord, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Groot and everyone's favorite, Rocket Raccoon.

When asked about which non-sequel projects Marvel Studios was prioritizing at the moment, Feige said, "I think whether it's Ant-Man, or Dr. Strange, or The Inhumans, or The Guardians of the Galaxy..."

To which we eagerly cried, "Rocket Racooooon...!"

"We are very excited about bringing things like that, maybe things exactly like that, to the screen. [...] When you tell people, you know what would be really cool? This movie, and there's a raccoon, and there's a tree... And they go, 'What?' And people like you know what it is, and get excited. And the majority of people go, 'Did you say a raccoon and a tree?' 'Oh yeah, they're going to steal the whole movie. They're hilarious.' 'Okay, I'll believe it when I see it.' I like that."

When asked for to confirm that an upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be focused on the new team, as opposed to the original team, created in 1969 which had their own well-received series from Jim Valentino in the 1990s, he clarified: "Yeah. It's more Star-Lord and Drax and Gamora, and less Vance Astro and that team."

Still no word on a start date for The Guardians of the Galaxy yet, as it's just one of several new productions Marvel Studios has been pursuing. Feige did assure us that, "We know what our second movie in 2014 is going to be, but we haven't announced it yet."

FUCK YEAH!

If any Marvel guys skipped Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative, you should check it out some time. That cosmic stuff had some of the coolest things going on at the time.

Of course, now all the books are canceled because Marvel is a dildo.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

guardians.jpg

Latino Review: Second Marvel 2014 Movie to be 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

They’ve been buying up domain names and we rapidly approach Comic Con, everyone knows Marvel is about to drop a movie-bomb on us and now, Latino Review knows what it is.

Usually good old Da7e is trotted out of his studding pasture to talk to you about comics he knows something about, this – however – is bit out of my league and, of course, out of THIS WORLD.

Marvel’s plan has been 2 superhero movies in their Unified Film Universe each year. Next year will bring us the new entries into the ‘Thor’ and ‘Iron Man’ and 2014 will bring us ‘Captain America 2′ and…

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY.

What else do we know about Guardians of the Galaxy?

- It will be announced as Marvel’s second 2014 movie at Comic Con

- Thanos is in it.

- It will “lead up to” The Avengers 2 in 2015.

- ”THE SCRIPT IS INCREDIBLE”

So let’s parse some of that.

One: The end credits scene at the end of The Avengers was both a teaser for ‘Avengers 2′ AND ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’

Two: The Guardians being added to the Unified Universe means the theorhetical chronological order of Marvel Unified Movie Universe Phase 2 is: ‘Iron Man 3′ ‘Thor 2′ ‘Captain America 2′ ‘Guardians of the Galaxy.’ Hulk gets the shaft.

Three: If I were to point you in the direction of a comic to read to theorize what Guardians of the Galaxy would be about, I’d suggest you go buy The Thanos Imperative.

Four: Nova. Expect Nova. There’s got to be a reason that Nova keeps showing up in stuff like Disney’s Ultimate Spider-Man and Marvel’s AvX. He’s not a Guardian per se, but he’s the most recognizable Marvel space character to the all-important “we’re young and buy toys” demographic.

Cool?

EDIT: Variety corroborates:

http://www.variety.c...109?refCatId=13

The Guardians of the Galaxy.

The Disney division is expected to announce a "Guardians" film as its next tentpole that would launch a new set of characters on May 16, 2014. Studio had previously planted a flag on that date for an untitled Marvel pic.

The Guardians are aliens in the 31st century -- each the last of their kind -- who travel back in time to enlist help to battle the Badoon, an evil alien race that attempts to conquer Earth's solar system. First introduced in 1969 and again in 2008, the newer set includes Star-Lord, Drax, gun-toting Rocket Raccoon and Groot, a tree. Characters were recently featured in an episode of the animated series "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes."

In the comicbooks, the characters have crossed over into the "The Avengers" universe, making them fit in easily with Marvel's bigscreen plans to expand the superhero franchise -- as would Ant-Man, another Avenger. And like its other Marvel properties, Disney can exploit the Guardians across all of the Mouse House's divisions as TV shows, videogames, consumer products and possibly theme park attractions.

Nicole Perlman, who came out of Disney's screenwriting program, penned a version of the script that Marvel has been high on.

While Marvel will focus much of its Comic-Con presentation on "Iron Man 3," lensing now in North Carolina under the direction of Shane Black, the company will spend some time highlighting how it plans to introduce new characters to auds the way it did with Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America. Session wraps up Hollywood's film panels on July 14.

The website Latino Review first reported Marvel's plan to announce a Guardians pic at Comic-Con. Marvel declined to comment, although sources confirm to Variety that Disney and Marvel are zeroing in on the project, rather than a standalone Black Panther project at this point.

Marvel topper Kevin Feige has long discussed the possibility of a Guardians film, wanting to produce a big-budget space adventure. And Disney recently secured trademark rights to produce an array of consumer products tied to the pic and its characters.

Guardians of the Galaxy is among several new properties Marvel is looking to launch as films, along with Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, The Inhumans, while Black Panther also is being tackled by scribes. Edgar Wright recently shot test footage for "Ant-Man," about a scientist who can change his size and communicate with insects. Project, which he co-wrote with Joe Cornish, has long been in development and discussed at Comic-Con in previous years.

Marvel and Disney's next superhero outing is "Iron Man 3," skedded for May 3, 2013, to be followed by "Thor 2" (Nov. 15, 2013) and "Captain America 2 (April 4th, 2014). Disney already has said an "Avengers" sequel is in the works, most likely for 2015, although no date has yet been set.

might be time for me to finally check out cosmic-side marvel.

excellent work here logans, i always dread/typically don't bother combing back over that megathread for the relevant posts, but it looks like you got them all, and quickly. +1 man.

ps

Nova02-11.jpg

yeah, newt's right, this shouldve been on my list. anyone got a torrent with the event(s) all put together to catch up on just the good/relevant stuff?

Search function randomly started working, it was fuckin' weird.

Like I said, Annihilation/War of Kings/Thanos Imperative is pretty entertaining, and nice to be distanced from the goings-on in 616 main. it's funny, because Stark's awareness up there probably mirror most Marvel readers. There was some big shit goin' down.

Since I haven't thought about this since before Avengers, it didn't even occur to me that the post credits scene tied in. It's really a "No duh" moment.

Four: Nova. Expect Nova. He’s not a Guardian per se, but he’s the most recognizable Marvel space character to the all-important “we’re young and buy toys” demographic.

This concept is so foreign to me; until about 4 years ago I only knew Nova as "that guy who Thanos turned into blocks in Infinity Gauntlet. He was about as on my radar as Quasar or Firelord.

well yeah, you were on pretty hardcore about Nova there, not saying you weren't - i just meant newt literally caught wood the whole time these events were going on. id be talking about Secret Warriors and Hickman's awesome spy-marvel stuff, and all he could think about was Beta Ray Bill. it was a thing.

I'll be honest, I had other hopes for that second 2014 slot. My two top picks would have been an Ant-Man and Wasp film directed by Edgar Wright (which looks like it might still happen, eventually, but at this rate, not in time for Avengers 2), and my other top pick was a Runaways film, as Vaughn was working on a script back in 2008, and casting was happening in 2010, and then it was supposedly delayed with an eye reportedly on 2014. After Avengers, I also would have been super psyched to see a Ruffalo Hulk flick, but I'm guessing Marvel looks at Hulk and believes the 2008 Hulk film didn't underperform because Norton was bad in it, but because people aren't interested in a Hulk solo movie, period. Ruffalo's Hulk may very well remain a supporting character in Avengers films, and maybe make cameos in other characters' solo film, and that's not the worst thing in the world.

So Guardians of the Galaxy it is. I guess Marvel doesn't think that Green Lantern's poor performance was an indication that audiences are uninterested in Cosmic superhero movies, they're just uninterested in bad ones. Well, I'm disappointed the properties I was looking forward to aren't happening in the next few years, but I'm not familiar with Guardians of the Galaxy, so it's not fair to say I'm disappointed with what is being made (I'm just disappointed in what's not being made). I'll probably check out that torrent to get myself hyped.

I do think it's weird that Captain America 2 is getting an April 4th release while this is getting a May 16th release. I'm pretty sure that means they have way more faith in GotG (is that the abbreviation most people use, or should it be GG?) than Cap, which is weird since the first Cap movie made respectably money, and I would think that a sequel would make more money overseas than the first now that overseas audiences know the character from Avengers.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Edgar Wright just finished filming proof of concept footage he submitted to Marvel for Ant-Man. However he then has to wait for approval, cast, go through pre-production, shoot it, go through post production, and at some point in there film part 3 of the Cornetto trilogy (The End of the World.) So it probably won't be soon.

Edgar Wright just finished filming proof of concept footage he submitted to Marvel for Ant-Man. However he then has to wait for approval, cast, go through pre-production, shoot it, go through post production, and at some point in there film part 3 of the Cornetto trilogy (The End of the World.) So it probably won't be soon.

Right, but before this GotG announcement, was it so unreasonable to think that second 2014 Marvel film could have been Ant-Man? Especially with Avengers 2 slated for 2015, it's not so crazy to think they would have wanted to get Ant-Man introduced so he could put in Avengers 2. This Ant-Man project has been percolating since at least 2006. I know Edgar Wright takes his time with these things (he was originally tapped to direct Scott Pilgrim in 2005, right after Shaun of the Dead, and it took 5 years get that released, and presumably that time payed off, but it's been 6 years since Wright was announced to direct this and we're still looking at 3 years time 'til release, at best.

Edited by Reverend Jax