Hondo's Bar

Guardians of the Galaxy

• 2 months later...

Petition to fire James Gunn as director

Even as the casting search gears up for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, a push has begun online to convince the studio to fire director James Gunn over objections to a nearly two-year-old blog post that many view as misogynistic and homophobic. (Note: This post contains graphic language.)

The Feb. 17, 2011 post containing the results of a “Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With” poll, complete with Gunn’s commentary, was deleted at some point from the filmmaker’s website but the cached version resurfaced earlier this week on Tumblr before receiving further exposure Wednesday on The Mary Sue. Why Gunn’s post was only recently unearthed is a bit of a mystery (he was confirmed to direct Guardians of the Galaxy more than two months ago).

Gunn’s superhero sex poll includes male and female characters — 50 in all — ranging from Wonder Woman and Superman to Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel. While The Mary Sue notes “there’s nothing wrong about running a poll for the most sex-able superhero on your site,” the complaints arise over some of the filmmaker’s accompanying commentary.

Some of Gunn’s remarks are merely juvenile — for instance, Catwoman “has been making my penis feel funny since I was four years old and saw Julie Newmar playing her on TV” — others are a bit more offensive. On the entry for the X-Man Gambit, he writes, “My girlfriend voted for this Cajun fruit. I think she’s looking to have a devil’s three way with the two of us. The idea of my balls slapping against Gambit’s makes me sick to my stomach, but I can’t deny the fellow’s pure HEAT …”

For Batgirl/Cassandra Cain, Gunn suggests, “Being a teen mom and all, you know she’s easy. Go for it.” For Kitty Pryde: “@KittyPryde actually wrote me on Twitter after posting the nominees for heroes you most want to have sex with. I wrote her back, but neglected to mention that I wanted to anally do her.”

And for his Batwoman entry: “This lesbian character was voted for almost exclusively by men. I don’t know exactly what that means. But I’m hoping for a Marvel-DC crossover so that Tony Stark can “turn” her. She could also have sex with Nightwing and probably still be technically considered a lesbian.”

On her own blog, Dark Horse editor Rachel Edidin calls the comments “fucked up and misogynist and homophobic,” explaining, “If Gunn’s list is satire, it’s bad satire, because it skews incredibly close to material that’s not only already out there, but that comes from official media and in some cases industry professionals. There’s a significant slice of the comics community that is that misogynist and homophobic, and says so loudly and frequently. It’s telling, I think, that so many people took what Gunn wrote at face value: this is material we’ve seen before, again and again, presented seriously.”

This was my favorite part:

"There’s a significant slice of the comics community that is that misogynist and homophobic, and says so loudly and frequently. It’s telling, I think, that so many people took what Gunn wrote at face value: this is material we’ve seen before, again and again, presented seriously.”

"I obviously think he was joking, but he emulated the thing I hate so well that I think we should make an example of him just because!"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More:

<a href="http://www.mtv.com/shows/marvel_now/series.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Marvel NOW!</a>, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/videos/home.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">Full Episodes</a></p></div></div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Marvel is calling in the big guns for "Guardians of the Galaxy," casting six-time Academy Award nominee Glenn Close in director James Gunn's space adventure.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, she is in final negotiations to play the head of the Nova Corps (presumably Nova Prime), the intergalactic police force that first appeared in 1979's "Fantastic Four" #204.

The inclusion of the group was signaled earlier this week by a report that John C. Reilly has been offered the role of Rhomann Dey, described as an Agent Coulson-type character who will serve as a liaison between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Guardians. In Marvel comics, Rhomann Dey was the last surviving member of the intergalactic space police force Nova Corps who lands on Earth and transfers his helmet and powers to Richard Rider.

Benicio Del Toro Joins The Cast Of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY; Is He Playing Thanos?

80769.png

Benicio Del Toro has joined the cast of James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy in a lead role which will reportedly also see him star in future Marvel Studios movies. Could he be playing Thanos?

Follow Josh:

CBMBTNS.png facebookBTNS.png twitterBTNS.png googleBTNS.png

By Josh Wilding - 6/3/2013

247284728472984.png

As Guardians of the Galaxy gets closer to beginning filming this summer in London, the cast continues to fill out with extremely impressive actors. Following the announcement that Glenn Close and Karen Gillan will star in the movie, Deadline now reveals that Savages and The Wolfman actor Benicio Del Toro has joined the cast of the James Gunn helmed movie in what they describe as, "a character that is built to be part of future Marvel films, which means he has signed a deal with options that put him into multiple movies." Del Toro lost out on the lead villainous role as "John Harrison" in Star Trek Into Darkness, so what do you guys think are the odds that he will be playing Thanos in both this movie and subsequently Joss Whedon's sequel to The Avengers?

Read more at http://www.comicbook...thQyiHTidAHr.99

Edited by alive she cried

Actually, he has got my vote for the Raccoon. His voice as Rocket Raccoon would sound pretty badass...

edit: Oh multiple movies. Yeah he ain't playing the 'Coon.

Edited by axel_napalm

I like Benicio Del Toro. I like Thanos. I don't think I like Benicio Del Toro as Thanos...

this...kinda wary at first glance, but del toro has cops & ive faith in marvel's casting director so far.

if anyone wants to get in on the book before the movie introduces mad people you don't know, Bendis' current series is only 2 issues in. i'm reading them tonight (now that i'm all caught up on the pregame) so ill fully endorse or not over in the comics forum.