Hondo's Bar

Deep fried

amynicole

So out here pretty much everything is fried. Texas state fair started a lot of the fried food fads you see now (fried snickers, coke, and I think pickles), they have contests every year for the best new fried food. I thought the Oreos and pecan pralines were nice. So I thought we could share some favorites, oddities, and local specials. I know how to cook a few Texas favorites, fried okra and fried corn on the cob are my best. And here we eat chicken fried steak (chopped steak battered and fried and covered in cream gravy) which I know is not widely known as when I mentioned it to Ross some years ago he replied "I like chicken!". My favorite fried food would be bananas, covered in honey and powdered sugar with vanilla ice cream.

What's your favorite? What's a local food?

And here we eat chicken fried steak (chopped steak battered and fried and covered in cream gravy) which I know is not widely known as when I mentioned it to Ross some years ago he replied "I like chicken!"

It's commonly known as "country-fried steak" in the rest of the US and sometimes abroad.

Huh, I haven't seen it out of the southern states. I couldnt find cream gravy elsewhere either.

I can only speak for Missouri. I will say however that if you are in Missouri and someone makes it in their home it will no doubt be delicious, but if you're at a restaurant for God's sake DO NOT ORDER IT! It's like me attempting to order a fired pork tenderloin down here and receiving only sadness and despair on a bun.

• 2 weeks later...