Hondo's Bar

Comic Book Quiz

Some friends and I go to a local Irish pub every Monday for quiz night. In the fall they do a tournament and our team won last year, so this year we get to host our own quiz night at the pub and drink for free. Naturally I did a film round and a comic book round. The owners are a married couple in their early 40s and are from belfast. They're pretty cool. They had to approve our questions prior to our hosting the quiz night. She sent this to me tonight:

Omg that comics round is impossible, 1st off the questions are too long. And if you are crap at a category doing 10 questions about 1 topic automatically puts u out of the running, so I'd prefer shorter questions and a mix of cartoons and comics and animation. That's a good mix and still with in your realm, neither me or stephen got any right and I showed it to a few Americans just incase it was something they knew and the highest score was 3 . So please rewrite and get them Back to me before the weekend.

:ike:

Admittedly, some questions were lengthy, but I made them so as to try and include hints for the non-hardcore. I thought I'd post the original here since I now have to neuter the round and put in questions relating to the fucking Family Circus or something. smh

Pretty much every Hondonian should sail through this with a 10/10:

1. Which noted Northern Irish comic book writer has created such characters as Wee Hughie, Cassidy the Vampire, and “rape-zombies”?

2. Who was the first comic book artist to ever draw Batman in a published comic book?

3. Watchmen writer Alan Moore publicly made it known he didn’t wish to see his landmark 12 issue miniseries turned into a film. However, the artist of the Watchmen comics had no problems at all with attaching his name to Zack Snyder’s film. What’s the name of the Watchmen artist with an “ape-ish” sounding surname?

4.What’s the name of one-time yellow trench coat wearing mall-rat mutant, and sometimes side-kick to the popular character Wolverine, that shares a surname with one of the co-creators of Marvel's X-Men?

5.Speaking of mall rats, writer/director Kevin Smith made a movie called Chasing Amy, which featured indie-comic book creators played by Ben Affleck & Jason Lee. What was the name of the fictitious comic book (which later became an actual comic book published by Oni Press) Lee & Affleck’s characters created in the film?

6.What red haired petite pianist was the inspiration for the character Delirium in Neil Gaiman’s critically acclaimed comic book series Sandman?

7. A charter member of DC Comics’ Justice Society of America, what was the secret identity of the character to first bear the name Green Lantern?

8. What is the phrase used to describe alterations to previously established facts in a comic book or any other work of fiction such as soap operas?

9. We call ‘em comics, the Japanese call ‘em manga. Published since 1968 and spawning such international hits as Dragonball Z, Naruto, and Bleach, what is the world’s most popular manga?

10. Recently optioned for a half hour TV series by Showtime, Lafayette resident and ULALA graduate Rob Guillory illustrates this popular comic about a detective who gets “psychic impressions” from whatever he eats.

yeah, 10/10 but i dunno, JZA - non-comic fans are gonna stumble with that. im basing this on girls answering stuff from whatever board game we play at chief's house, they stumble on stuff like "superhero who employs sea creatures" and the like.

i had no idea shonen went back to '68.

Trivia nights really are a social hazing for whatever vapid bitches Chief can lure back to his apartment with promises of reggaeton and 151 though(much love to the guy for it though). I mean Haku's really kept this quiz pop culture general knowledge-y. It's just the clues he's putting into the questions that make it seem a lot wordier and intimidating at face value.

• Upvote 1

I think the term I was looking for earlier was Chickenheads.

It was going to replace 'vapid bitchez' but after seeing NZA"s order of rephrased questions it's being repurposed for the man himself.

You're going way deeper than you need to even then, talking about when Watchmen was good. People in the know are disregarding Before Watchmen as a cheap cash-in on a good earner(that i'll still buy because my boy Azzarello needs moar elocution lessons from Idris Elba), and folks who don't know Watchmen as anything but a confusing slo-mo movie won't know Dave Gibbons anyway. The question would go something like, 'Name the artist of Watchmen, the source material for Zack Snyder's 2008 movie.'

His stories were the basis of both punisher movies and then what Haku said because I thought that question was perfect as was. Bear in mind NZA that it's an Irish bar hosting this thing, and their little person complex will absolutely extend to knowing every Irish person of cultural significance, even when it's a cock like Bono.

This 'Professional Widow' was the basis for Sandman's blahblahblah I'll never get around to that book anyway.

If they don't know 'yellow raincoat' they're not gonna know the rest anyway. I dunno if you've been to many pub trivia nights NZA, but they've some genuinely cuntish questions that will leave the trivia buff stumped. Haku's submission was great, I guess the owners were just intimidated by the geekiness of the thing.

Bear in mind NZA that it's an Irish bar hosting this thing, and their little person complex will absolutely extend to knowing every Irish person of cultural significance, even when it's a cock like Bono

a) irish bars in america are like saying i ate at ouback steakhouse so i just saved a G rather than going to your wedding

b) that last bit is kinda unfair; if you lot had more than irwin and allegedly russel crowe, i'm certain there'dve been a thread about it by now

a) The only distinction between Irish & Irish Americans is that Irish Americans spend more time convincing those around them that they're irish in the most obnoxious ways possible. fact

b) That's an almost direct quote from your man Crim himself. I added the bit about Bono being a cock but I'm sure he'll still agree with the sentiment.

We've gotten way the fuck off topic here. You're right in that I never saw an Irish Bar while there. The ones we have here(ask Joel, we took he and Rudy to a few) I assume to be more authentic since we all speak the same convict language.

Comic book fans sometimes forget that when you know the name "Brubaker" or something, it's like you and 200 other people.

We tend to congregate, so if you talk with a lot of comic fans regularly it's easy to take for granted. How often do you meet a normal person out in the wild who would know all this stuff? Here and there, but it's rare.

But its a quiz game. Fuck 'em. 10/10 btw.

7/10

Missed Sandman, Manga and Chew.

This quiz is way too hard for a general knowledge quiz, go for more popular books man, I know you have Batman, but Chew? Ennis? Bleach? You seriously expect most people to know these?

Bear in mind NZA that it's an Irish bar hosting this thing, and their little person complex will absolutely extend to knowing every Irish person of cultural significance, even when it's a cock like Bono.

I just asked my five brothers and my parents"Who is Garth Ennis?" One knew, my brother Shane (he has read Preacher).

a) The only distinction between Irish & Irish Americans is that Irish Americans spend more time convincing those around them that they're irish in the most obnoxious ways possible. fact

I disagree, Irish people have an inferiority complex, but Irish Americans by nature (because they're American) don't. It's impossible to feel inferior when you "know" that your country is better than every other country at everything.

Edited by alive she cried

I disagree, Irish people have an inferiority complex, but Irish Americans by nature (because they're American) don't. It's impossible to feel inferior when you "know" that your country is better than every other country at everything.

@ Not knowing who Ennis is, I just wrote his name on a big fuckin' rock for when we eventually meet. On Irish Americans- that's my point. They're too busy letting you know they're Irish-Americans to even know who Michael Collins is(see also: being 1/8th Cherokee).

Wow, surprised 2T didn't fare better. I think 3 is good for DOJ considering he's newly anointed in the waters of comic book nerdom. This hot mess, however, is some disappointing shit. . .

7/10

Missed Sandman, Manga and Chew.

Seriously? You missed the Sandman question? Of all the people that've posted in this thread so far I think you and I are the only ones who've actually seen Tori Amos in concert. :no:

This quiz is way too hard for a general knowledge quiz, go for more popular books man, I know you have Batman, but Chew? Ennis? Bleach? You seriously expect most people to know these?

Well, the bar owners are from NI, and name me a more (in)famous name from modern comics that's come out of NI than Ennis? Chew is b/c the artist is a local boy and graduated from a nearby college. And don't the kids love chains manga? Surely some team will have a manga/anime loving nerd int he group that'll get that one w/ ease.

But, full disclosure, I felt a little like this when I submitted them...

Mr.Burns+of+Japan.gif

Trivia nights really are a social hazing for whatever vapid bitches Chief can lure back to his apartment with promises of reggaeton and 151 though(much love to the guy for it though). I mean Haku's really kept this quiz pop culture general knowledge-y. It's just the clues he's putting into the questions that make it seem a lot wordier and intimidating at face value.

Thanks, Jay. I was trying to give clues w/in the questions so someone w/ little to zero knowledge could at least attempt a decent guess. For example, in the Watchmen qurestion I assumed some people might guess Snyder or Moore's names, so I included them in the question as a bonus clue. Ya know, it's definitely NOT these guys.

And NZA's right, in my mind I'm giving away the answer to the Jubilee question. I'm still keeping it though b/c the Fox cartoon show from the 90s lived for a long time in repeats, and other than Dick Tracy wtf in any medium is running around in a yellow trench coat let alone has the last name Lee or Kirby?

I'll post the "neutered" version I submitted later.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

yeah, i meant to say - those same chickenheads ladies at chief's may not've known stuff like aquaman or the human torch, but they knew dark phoenix and all kinds've x-men shit from the 90's cartoon and its attempts to be faithful. im always impressed how much further that spread x-men lore, even at the height of the book's popularity...of course, those things happening almost simultaneously (as i recall) kinda shows you which huge market segments the book never reached.

gotta figure the movies are doing the same. we'll play these trivial pursuits down the road and no one will get kree or skrull but they'll all know "those nazi aliens that hulk punched in the face".

Here's a more lamestream media edition. I got rid of the 3 toughest questions and made 'em the three easiest. I also changed the wording on four other ques.

1. What popular AMC TV show is based on a comic book created by Robert Kirkman?
  2. Who created the character Batman?
  3. She’s 11-yrs. old, wields a samurai sword, and wears a purple wig. Name this Kick-Ass character that just got her own comic book miniseries.
  4. What’s the name of yellow trench coat wearing mall-rat mutant that shares a surname with one of the co-creators of Marvel Comic’s X-Men?
  5. What was the name of the fictitious comic book Ben Affleck & Jason Lee’s characters created in the film Chasing Amy?
  6. The character Delirium in Neil Gaiman’s critically acclaimed series Sandman was inspired by what red haired petite pianist from the 90s?
  7. What superhero & charter member of DC Comics’ Justice Society of America was recently revealed to be gay? (Bonus point if you can give his secret identity.)
  8. What is the phrase used to describe alterations to previously established facts in a comic book or any other work of fiction such as soap operas.
  9. We call ‘em comics, the Japanese call ‘em manga. Published since 1968 and spawning international hits as Dragonball Z, Naruto, and Bleach, what is the world’s most popular manga?
  10. According to publisher King Features Syndicate, this single captioned panel with a round border is the most widely syndicated cartoon panel in the world. 

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Bill Finger. That's like asking who created the radio or the lightbulb, there's some debate.

Yeah, but that's only a debate for the hardcore geeks. I had it originally worded as "Who was the first comic book artist to ever draw Batman in a published comic book?" just in case some jackass like you were to bring that point up at the quiz. But people seemed to think I was being to "wordy," so I tried to streamline the questions. Every Batman comic published has "Batman created by Bob Kane" on the title page. So, ya know, not truly much of a debate.