Hondo's Bar

Marvel NOW! - new creative teams

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

uxforce2012001covcol.jpg

all caught up on this book now, and while ive liked both teams & not quite sure about this one (Shiva? huh), ill prolly stick with it for a bit.

supriorspider-man_02.jpg

something something claws!

1-6c7c515f6e.jpg

also, the 90s are back yo

Superior Spider-Man article

However, this "enormous" change is an all-new development for the decades-old character and will result in a far darker Spider-Man than fans have ever seen, promises Dan Slott, the Amazing Spider-Man writer who's heading up Superior Spider-Man. "The one thing that does not go with this Spider-Man is the term 'Friendly neighborhood.' No. That's gone.

Ryan Stegman (Scarlet Spider, Fantastic Four) is the artist of the first three issues, and Amazing illustrators Humberto Ramos and Giuseppe Camuncoli will rotate in on subsequent story arcs.

Stegman says there will be some alterations to the old Spidey costume — tying into some new abilities — that make him look a little more intimidating. "His belt looks a little different, and there's points at the end of his glove that add a little aggressiveness to his costume."

That ties into his personality, Slott confirms. "He's not going to be doing things the old Spider-Man way. There will be a new way of doing things.

"The first story arc is called 'Hero or menace?' I think that pretty much tells you where we're going."

Slott sent new Avenging Spider-Man writer Christopher Yost the issue early since he'll have the "superior" Spidey in his book wanted to get him up to speed, and Yost tweeted that, "despite being dead inside," issue 700 was "one of (the) best issues I've ever read."

"I don't know if everyone's going to react like Chris Yost," Slott says. "All I know is I'm going into my reinforced bunker when 700 comes out."

Whether or not Marvel fans storm the company's New York City offices with pitchforks and web shooters once Superior Spider-Man comes out — after recently turning in the plot for the second issue, Slott predicts they're going "to be crumpling it in their hands while they're reading it" — the folks inside the building are all for Spidey's new direction.

Stegman says there will be an all-new Sinister Six — with at least one new member — and many of the familiar supporting characters that have made Amazing Spider-Man great since the early 1960s will be there, too, although they may look a little different on his watch.

"I try to keep the history in mind," says the artist, who's always had a soft spot for John Romita Sr.'s '60s-era 'Mary Jane Watson. "A lot of guys make Aunt May almost look like a witch, which is something I want to stay away from. Just because you're old, you don't have to look like a monster."