Hondo's Bar

Talk Radio

Fine, you're ignorant. But you're also correct about Takei's onging announcer gig on Stern revitalizing his career. He got the gig on Heroes from it, then there was the Shatner feud, and him being an ongoing spokesman for the LGBT community that's kept him in the "now trending sphere." His fb page is also hilarious.

I really like Artie, but that show you're talking about is really awful. It was disappointing.

Also, if you guys are into talk radio, O&A >>> Stern these days. Especially for 2track. Might not be a fit for a Hakus though.

It's the only show I keep up with practically daily anymore.

It's only for people who enjoy things that are funny, not things like "Trekkies and we know it". It's why I gave a Haku caveat.

I like Stern fine, but the Opie and Anthony has entertained me far, far, FAR more in the past couple of years than Stern has. The regular comedians are comfortable there in a way they aren't on Stern's show, and it shows. Like any talk radio, you have to spend enough time with it to get to know everyone and learn the inside jokes, but it's high moments are absolutely magical. Jim Norton is beast, and that show was the reason I was bummed when Patrice O'Neal died. You really get to know the regulars.

It's only for people who enjoy things that are funny, not things like "Trekkies and we know it". It's why I gave a Haku caveat.

I like Stern fine, but the Opie and Anthony has entertained me far, far, FAR more in the past couple of years than Stern has. The regular comedians are comfortable there in a way they aren't on Stern's show, and it shows. Like any talk radio, you have to spend enough time with it to get to know everyone and learn the inside jokes, but it's high moments are absolutely magical. Jim Norton is beast, and that show was the reason I was bummed when Patrice O'Neal died. You really get to know the regulars.

Like any talk radio, you have to spend enough time with it to get to know everyone and learn the inside jokes, but it's high moments are absolutely magical. Jim Norton is beast, and that show was the reason I was bummed when Patrice O'Neal died. You really get to know the regulars.

Jim Norton is beast, and that show was the reason I was bummed when Patrice O'Neal died.

Jim Norton is beast.

Nortonisbeast.jpg

poltergeist2a-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can't do O&A just because I'm such a Stern nut. I've tried and do appreciate what they do but the king is the only one for me (even if this AGT shit is driving me fucking nuts, not to mention Benjy and that Jordana broad, it was funny at first but now it's just annoying). Geek Time is great too. I don't have the Ralph hate that lots of people seem to and you have to love John Hein. I dug on Farrell for a while but got sick of him. Never liked Bubba.

dug on Farrell for a while but got sick of him. Never liked Bubba.

Because they're fucking hacks. I hate those guys. They can go roll in glass with Tom Lykos.

Here's the thing with me and Stern. The reason that show has these (unquestionably) great moments is because the guy attracts amazing talent like a goddamn magnet. Always has. Fred might be one of the most effortless, hilarious (and unsung) comedy writers out there. When you have guys like Billy West and Jim Florentine on staff (talking old skool here), they're gonna put out a funny show. But Howard himself is a relatively small factor. He's handed notes and gets bits written by geniuses and gets to bask in the glory of it. As far as radio shows go, it's like Saturday Night Live. A culmination of talent. And Howard is the radio guy that knows how to keep it flowing and can keep the banter on track.

O&A is the opposite of scripted. It's organic. It's real. And because of that, you aren't going to get the big picture without dozens and dozens of hours of listening. But once you know the show...man. It's why it has a smaller, but more dedicated, audience. I'd put the best of O&A up against any comedy out there. Not Opie himself, Opie isn't funny. He's the radio guy. He does what Stern does, except instead of having writers he (usually) knows when to sit back, shut the fuck up and let the funny people do their thing.

You're spot on about Fred Norris. He's a fucking comedic genius. I miss the "Fred, Fred, Fred, Fred" segments. I like the drama of Stern. I like Sal and his 143. I like hearing about the Dell'abate boys and how Gary's whipped. I like the insanity of Dan the Song Parody Man. I've been with them for so long they feel like family. I just wish that Artie could come back. The show has gone way down since he left. I too tried his show with Nick DiPaolo but just couldn't get into it. Fuck, I own Beer League, Dirty Work AND The Bachelor. Too Fat to Fish is displayed proudly on my bookshelf. I couldn't get my hands on They Call Me Baba Booey so I ended up d/ling the audiobook, bawth.

Good call on Billy West too. He was fucking brilliant from what I've heard on History, Best of and Master-Tape.

Nick, we really need these posts moved into a Stern thread!

Ganny McV, I hear ya on Artie, but I don't think he'll ever be back. Even as a guest. Howard has made comments to that effect on the air. But he changes his mind like a stripper does g-strings, so ya never know.

Billy West was pure gold. The Jackie & Gary Puppet bits were things of beauty. His Marge Schott was also great. Did you ever hear the interview Howard did w/ John K. and Billy after Nickelodeon fired John K. from the show and Billy took over Stimpy's voice? If not, seek that shit out. Radio gold.

I can't do O&A just because I'm such a Stern nut. I've tried and do appreciate what they do but the king is the only one for me (even if this AGT shit is driving me fucking nuts, not to mention Benjy and that Jordana broad, it was funny at first but now it's just annoying).

Eh, I DL'd her appearance as MS. Howard TV and liked her enough. Her voice is annoying, but the visuals help considerably. Benjy is a disgusting, annoying fuck, but you have to respect the guy's mojo as he does consistently land smokin' hot chicks.

Are you DL'n and listening to Stern currently, Flappy? The AGT talk has died down a bit, I think mostly from the fan complaints. I like the new gag where Shuli's mom does reviews though. That accent kills me.

Geek Time is great too. I don't have the Ralph hate that lots of people seem to and you have to love John Hein. I dug on Farrell for a while but got sick of him. Never liked Bubba.

Bubba, I've never listened to his radio show but I've always liked him on Howard's show. I like Brent as well. They were on a month or so ago w/ a non-update on their divorces.

Geek Time changed my mind on Ralph in the negative. He used to not annoy me on the show, but he can really irk me on Geek Time, especially w/ the guests. Jason Kaplan is the exact opposite. I fucking hated him on Stern, his voice was like, ugh, I don't know--you could just hear the douchiness ooze out of him. However, since listening to him on Geek Time I've become much, much more tolerant of him.

John Hein is solid. I even DL'd a few episodes of Fast Food Nation; it wasn't my thing, but he did a great job as host. I heard a Geek Time sans Hein last month and it suffered w/out him. Jason tried to step in, but Ralph really needs Hein to keep him in check.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

How about a talk radio thread instead? I recognize that they're synonymous for a lot of people, but that's way too specific for something with such a niche audience.

Heh, you mean like just me and 2T? What, he can have his own thread to talk dirty to Star but not about Stern? Pishaw. Horse apples, sir.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Did you ever hear the interview Howard did w/ John K. and Billy after Nickelodeon fired John K. from the show and Billy took over Stimpy's voice? If not, seek that shit out. Radio gold.

I sure have. That's some real uncomfortable shit.

Are you DL'n and listening to Stern currently, Flappy? The AGT talk has died down a bit, I think mostly from the fan complaints.

Even a little AGT is too much for me. I'm finding it very annoying and I've not been listening as much as I used to. Before I'd never miss a day but now I've not been too pushed over the last few months. The three day weeks and AGT shit is just to annoying.

Bubba, I've never listened to his radio show but I've always liked him on Howard's show. I like Brent as well. They were on a month or so ago w/ a non-update on their divorces.

Agreed, they always were good on Stern and shocking the puss? WOW.

When's the last time Gilbert was on. Him sitting in on the news is always fantastic. Another guy who Artie worked great with.

0.jpg

I tape recorded Howard's show back in the late 90's when I was in high school. I was really sad when he moved over to Sirius since I couldn't afford it at the time. Now I could afford it, but it has been so many years since I have listened that I have moved on.

I listen to tons of talk radio still though, most of it just happens to be on NPR. I listen to RADIOLAB (which is an amazing science show that I actually got to see live in April), This American Life, Marketplace Money, and Fresh Air (which had a great interview with Louis CK recently). I donate to NPR every month since I listen to so much of it.

I use to download Coast to Coast, but I stopped after Ian Punnett left.

Vagrant, you should move back. Torrent "The History of Howard Stern" and you'll basically get all the most important/hilarious bits.

Even a little AGT is too much for me. I'm finding it very annoying and I've not been listening as much as I used to. Before I'd never miss a day but now I've not been too pushed over the last few months. The three day weeks and AGT shit is just to annoying.

Since I torrent the stuff, I actually dig the fewer days. I hear the shows from start to finish now. I used to skip Robin's News just to try and stay reasonably up to date. Now I'm usually only a few days behind the live show. Just heard the Octomom Sybian ride. That shit was just sad.

Agreed, they always were good on Stern and shocking the puss? WOW.

Mayhaps their finest moment. Mayhaps.

When's the last time Gilbert was on. Him sitting in on the news is always fantastic. Another guy who Artie worked great with.

Agreed, he and Artie together during Robin's News was brilliant. Since he had his kid, Gilbert's been on a lot less. I wanna say the last time he was in studio was about a year ago. He spit on the cupcakes or something. Not his best appearance.

I listened to Howard briefly. Then in 2000 I moved to Tampa and discovered Bubba. I never listened to Howard ever again. Bubba in the early days before he teamed with Howard was the best thing ever. You may not believe this, but he was edgier than Howard by a mile. Once Howard made his deal he was smart to bring Bubba along. Also, the guy that wrote and performed all of Bubba's parody songs and skits (I forget his name) was the best I had ever heard.

A couple years ago Bubba had an edited version of his Sirius show syndicated in Miami and I was ecstatic to hear him again, but it wasn't the same. Needless-to-say, he didn't last. Now I listen to fellow Cuban Dan LeBatard on a local am sports radio station. I highly recommend a listen (they're not sports heavy, at all). His co-hosts Stugotz and Hoch nearly make the show themselves. Dan also has a tv show on ESPN2 (that he co-hosts with his father) that is freaking hilarious (but very sports heavy).

Edited by Panch

yeah, i tried that Bubba miami show since you loved dude in the day and it felt weak..not much talk radio i can get into though. even the heyday of Steve Harvey show in texas (when cecrick & co would jump on sometimes) was hit or miss, but great when it was hitting.

• 1 month later...