Hondo's Bar

The Surly Nerd - Bindy's podcast!

Visitant

Final edits for this week show are going up now. Ran a little behind this week because we're working on improving audio quality etc etc etc.

That being said it's a little over 30 hours till we record again, if you have any questions things to discuss: throw them down here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've gotten a pretty solid state on the show format and things we want to talk about news wise, but I'm trying to come up with some ideas for end of the show discussion. This week I'm going to go with the importance or non importance of video game tie ins for movie franchises. I could use some more idea for future episodes if anyone has something you'd like us to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 21 has been posted here. I hope everyone digs it. I think its great, but hey, its my show too. Its been great to hear the feedback from everyone (second hand). So I decided to come join in and see what all the fuss is about. Great stuff everyone has going on here. Im probably gonna lurk some. Oh, by the way, Im Tony, the other host. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

:welcome: Hellion/Tony!

I just listened to a bit of episode 21--congratulations on becoming legal! I think the last podcast I listened to was sometime this summer, and the sound quality has greatly improved. What are y'all doing differently--is it new software, mics, both? Feed us the techy behind the scenes details!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Going to take me a bit to get the hang of the place.

For the show, we did make a big(ish) investment in new equipment. When we first started out we used whatever recording we had on hand. As more people started to listen, thank you BTW, we knew we would need to upgrade. I spent a good month or two trying to figure out what to get.. and waiting for my paycheck to have a little wiggle room. What I decided on is much closer to a "pro" setup. We both use a generic mic stand with a spider shock mount, to help remove vibration, and hold onto our Audio Technica AT2020s. They both go into Peavey PV6 USB mixer. From there I have the output go into my field recorder for monitoring and also into my laptop for keeping track with Audacity. I know I don't need to record with Audacity, but I like to keep an eye on how the wav file looks and also for writing down times for later editing. i have everything mostly worked out, so we can get set up and recording very quickly. The editing takes some time, but most of that is finding songs to use, editing them and also encoding everything. Oh, I almost forgot, we both use pop-filters to get rid of some annoying mouth sounds. Hope you enjoy a little insight into how we run our show. Cheers.

Cheers for the lowdown on the equipment, Hellion. I was really impressed by the change in audio quality. How did you come to decide on the Audio Technica AT2020 mic? I'm also curious about the type of field recorder and spider mount y'all use. They can get kind of pricey. However, I saw a guy on youtube make a spider mount from hairties, a hose clamp, and pvc pipe for about $5.

Also, you mentioned the soundfx and songs you put in post, I would've thought iTunes would be stricter about podcasters doing that sort of thing. I'm assuming since your show is free and ad-free you don't need to adhere to copyrights and such. To your knowledge, would any of that change if you picked up advertisers?

We have only used a few tracks that were not free. In general i check for indie crap that sounds ok, or is so old its out of copyright. If we were to start getting paid for what we do then it would be a different story. We have contacted some artists and they have no problem with letting us play their songs, but others (that shall not be named) were total fuck bags and we were never allowed to even use clips of their music to promote them.

For the shock mounts we are using Nady SSM-3 shock mounts. They are not designed for the AT2020 but it does fit, very tightly. Thats right, I like it nice and tight. lol. I went with the AT2020 based on a review a friend gave me, he said for the price that they have a great sound. he was right, I went looking for mic reviews for weeks trying to decide on what to get for the price we were willing to spend. I had a few other options, but everyone said that the AT202 will sound better and last longer for the price.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dude if it ain't too late mention this #tag that's on fire rite about now: #1reasonwhy

It focuses on women and gaming; in development and as gamers. Supposedly 49% gamers are women, however 88% developers are men.

It was initially getting pretty intense... However a lot of men are stepping up and recognizing games written by women. Look into it if interested.

• 8 months later...

I know it's been a hot minute since we've posted in here, mostly because I don't want to spam Hondos with our show. I did want to toss out there that a few days back we posted episode 54 ( http://thesurlynerd.com/2013/08/01/episode-54-the-one-where-we-get-our-s-together/ ) and I really would like to get some opinions. I really feel that this episode is our best yet. The flow was right, the topics blended well but more importantly i'd like some feedback on it.

Also, if you like what you hear, pimp us out please. We beg for itunes ratings because thats what helps get us noticed on apples boards.

Thanks in advance.

i'm so bad with podcasts, but retronauts goes on about how important those itunes ratings are - do you just need people to 5 star you on itunes or write reviews or what? i really hate itunes but if its a way to support ill sign back up.

For iTunes the 5 stars and a review are very helpful. Im currently trying to get us on the iTunes popular listing.. its going to take some work.. and the starts and reviews help. With that being said, the more places we can have links to our content and site that are "monitored" the better, like blogs and forums and whatnot (fucking alexia score). We have a lot of changes planned and the more support we can get, the more feedback, and more importantly the more people we can get to subscribe, download, like, favorite, and share all of our content the more recognition we can get.

The amount of time we dedicate to the show is immense. I love doing the show and want SO much for the show to become something bigger and better. We have planned out a massive amount of changes for the show and a fucking fuck ton of new content.

Please let us know what you like and what you dont. What you think is great and what could be improved. While we make this show for ourselves, to stay sane, we also make for everyone to enjoy.

With all of that said please subscribe, rate, review, like, share, and in general pimp us out to anyone who will listen to us.

-Stay Surly-

Just listened to #54, and it's good stuff. Who's the foreigner that doesn't like SCRUBS? I have to agree w/ him on Arrow though. Also, pounding back a whole six-pack in The Wolverine? Respek. Was that at Alamo or did he sneak it in? The onslaught mispronunciations of "noir" at the end there had me channeling Jax level rage, albeit briefly, but ya boy was on point w/ the Dark City commentaries being great--Ebert's especially.

@Haku, that's our new host J who will be handling a lot of the anime and comic book discussion as we move into season 2 more. He's actually from Texas but grew up in England. We did, in fact, watch Wolverine at the Alamo Draft House.

And now for something completely different.

• 5 years later...