Hondo's Bar

Gamers That Play Until They Die

Mr. Hakujin

Gamer Deaths  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm seeing another Taiwanese guy died recently from blood clots he got from gaming too long. He's not the first Asian gamer to die due to, um, gaming related injuries.

Deaths in Internet cafes are rare, but happen from time to time when players concentrate so intensely on their games, that they ignore factors like the body's need for sleep and food.

Last year, a 30 year-old Chinese gamer died after staying up for three consecutive days, barely eating or drinking anything. And last August, 20 year-old Chris Staniforth suffered a pulmonary embolism after a marathon session on his Xbox.

The deaths underscore the risk of game addiction, which more and more people are becoming worried about as the industry grows.

So, what do the hardcore Hondonian gamers do to avoid similar fates? Are Hondonaian gamers just made of stronger stuff that they can outlast the Taiwanese or Brit gamers? Or are these dead gamers just THAT much more hardcore?

^^If Jim Carry's Liar, Liar taught me anything ,it's that holding in a piss too long is bad for your urinary tract.

It really is kind of shocking to me that someone can neglect themselves to such a degree. By that I mean it has to be some kind of mental condition that these guys had in order to force themselves to forgo sleep like that. I can see how not moving enough and developing blood clots would be an easy problem for gamers though. Don't long-distance truck drivers take something to avoid getting blood clots in their legs? How much longer before a gamer energy drink w/ blood thinner is marketed?

Nick rushes to belittle Bindy attacking the Twihard mom that was killed, but apparently this is different. :2T:

it's his shtick, i just scroll past it nowadays.

i don't think comparing hardcore korean starcraft (or diablo 3) players to guys like us who pause long enough to eat/piss/etc really works, because a lot've these dudes are making fulltime jobs out of them, especially with these titles. we had a whole thing before on why some korean parents were okay with kids dropping outta college to fulltime SC2 tourneys because of the big money involved, and there were people quitting their jobs over here to do the same with D3 before the last patch made the drops less $ from the auction house - so yeah, i don't think these situations are as directly analogous.

see, now watch that be the fucking Sims or something too.

there was this one dude on 4chan who had quit his professional job to grind D3 until the aforementioned patch, and was trying to figure out how to break the news to his wife...that had to be a troll, but you never know.

from what i read, yeah - tremendously. some people apparently had patterns in inferno to make solid $/hour by selling shit at the auction house, then a patch changed all that. no idea what else it did to reblanace characters, but im told drop rates are really really low for the good shit.

I've never given these concerns a second thought. I eat when I'm hungry. The 1st world kicks ass like that.

I have put off pissing for ridiculous amounts of time, but that's mostly because I kind of get a kick out of taking a comically long piss.

My thoughts pretty much exactly on this whole thing...

I'd say those who manage to succumb to death by gaming for that long without any kind of break are kinda asking for it. Not that they deserve it, but I mean, its not as if its undocumented at this stage that sitting around for that long does cause pretty bad damage.

Also, fuck the post text on the "idiots" option. I voted idiots because they're idiots, not because of the text after.