Hondo's Bar

RPG News

The NZA

Just a quick update, some crazy things goin on with console RPG's...

-Final Fantasy sequels: Sango was right; FF X is getting a direct sequel, as is Final Fantasy VII. Weird. huh? The series that never connects its chapters finally is, and its largely the same porgramming teams according to that article, so fans of Cloud & Sephiroth should be happy. I'm anxious to see X's sequel m'self. :D

-New Zelda: Ok, so many know that the new Gamecube Zelda's supposed to be sometime early next year. Thing is, according to Gameforms.com, those in Japan who pre-pay the game get a free bonus disc with Zelda 64: The Ocarina of Time on it, as well as the unreleased dungeons originally designed for the Nintendo 64's disc drive expeansion of Zelda 64, if anyone else remembers that failed hardware.

Point is, the freebie is Zelda 64 (an amzing game for those that didnt get to play it) and unrleased levels & such, woo hoo! This offer damn well better make it to this side of the shore, ill check back on it.

Here's the article. :link:

PS two non-RPG quickies:

-Did you know that when Metroid Prme comes out for Gamecube (soon, if it aint out already - the reviews are sayin nothing but good) you can hook it to the Game Boy Advance's copy of Metroid: Fusion and unlock the old NES original Metroid? I thought that was kinda cool.

-Did you know Vin Diesel just opened up his own video game company? He says its a hobby thing, wants to do a game like Grand Theft Auto III. 'S interestin.

• 2 months later...

Ok, Square's goin all kinds of crazy, now that theyre recovering i guess....it looks like theyve all but merged with Enix over in Japan (famous for the Dragon Quest/Warrior serires, more popular overseas than FF).

But in addition, there's some new rumors/info about Final Fantasy X2...plot details have been released to explain Yuna's new "Laura Croft" look, as well as CG shots of some in-game concert performance (?) but weireder still, here's the prototype shots of Square's "Tinybee", optional gun controllers for FF X 2 play - im gonna havta look more into this, but you gotta admit, its interestin.

tinybee-c.jpg

Now theres finally some innovation in the peripheral dept! have an RPG that occasionally Dives into a Shooter and use a dual gun controller to boot! Add in some alternate endings and even Alternate storylines and the replayability will soar, a game that by itself would justify the expense for the guns!

:D

• 1 month later...

Square & Enix (Dragon Quest, known as Dragon Warrior series in America...theyre bigger than Square in Japan) have finally merged, due to Square's financial troulbes of the last few years..the merger sounded shaky at times, but its done now, who knows what will come of it? Should be exciting tho..i only wish they'dve kept Monolith Software (Xenosaga) from departing to Namco, ah well...

Anyway, this should really impact those of us who're fans of console RPGs. Here's the new logo:

03.jpg

Sadly, they ditched the classic "red triangle" for the A, and Enix is no longer a green E in a circle. But, as Gameforms commented, its still better than the plain design Konami switched too.

I just wish theyd bring back "The world is SQUARE", that was classic.

For those lookin for more info:

Square/Enix new USA site

Square/Enix of Japan - Id say to make sure your windows has downloaded japanese character support, but if you can read the language (basically, Chihiro) youve already done that.

The new president had comments to make, as seen at Gameforms.com:

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada discussed the company's future plans in a recent interview with Famitsu. Wada said that the company is currently focusing on localizing and debugging games for release after April and the development of tools related to its PlayOnline service.

He also revealed that while a collaborative project between Square and Enix teams has not yet been started, he hopes to have one finished in time for release in 2004. When asked who the company's biggest rival is now, Wada said that their rival is not another game publisher, but rather forms of entertainment other than games, such as anime, movies, and the web.

In other news, its lookin like Square Pictures' contribution to the Animatrix is prolly gonna be their last production. ???

• 3 weeks later...
In other news, its lookin like Square Pictures' contribution to the Animatrix is prolly gonna be their last production. ???

"Probably"? Last I heard, making The Spirits Within crippled them, and they closed up shop. So yeah, unfortunately, I'm sure it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Well one thing's for sure, I'm not too fond of a FFXI becoming Massive mulptiplayer RPG. I mean I'm sure it might be great expanding the gameplay and all, but I think this game will definitely ruin many people's lives. (As if MMRPG's don't already do that in Japan and sometimes here in America)

• 4 weeks later...

This one's just for Sephiroth...

Here are some character pics and here are some screenshots for the upcoming Sword of Mana, the (presumably) PS2 reincarnation of the old Secret of Mana series.

Those who played Legend of Mana will recall that, despite it being a fun, non-linear game, it had little to no point and even less to do with the series, so this one should be a highlight.

• 1 month later...

I think PS2 would create a 3d reincarnation capable of being played on PS1. Anyway, did you read the summary? It was a remake on GBA. Actually it does sound intresting, if I had enough cash for a GBA. ( and when I was talking to you, you said it was a totally new game in itself- bwah)JON SMASH!!

Additional openings for the public beta of Final Fantasy XI Online! (Square emailed me this a few days back, thought id post it)

Additional openings for the PlayOnline™, Tetra Master®, and FINAL FANTASY® XI Public Beta Test for Windows® are still available!

Missed your chance at applying for the PlayOnline, Tetra Master, and FINAL FANTASY XI Public Beta Test for Windows the first time around? No need to despair...read on!

Square Enix USA has experienced a tremendous response from the gaming community to the public beta - over 100,000 applications have been received! We are also happy to announce that several of our partners are sponsoring making more PlayOnline, Tetra Master, and FINAL FANTASY XI Public Beta Test kits for Windows available. Visit the sites of our partners below by clicking on the logo to learn more on how to apply.

System Requirements

CPU: Intel® Pentium® III 800Mhz or higher

RAM: 128MB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ series with 32MB or ATI® RADEON™ 9000 series graphic card (AGP only)

Sound Card: Sound Card with a driver 100% compliant with DirectX® 8.1 or higher

Storage: 6GB of available Hard Disk space (jesus)

CD-ROM: 4x CD-ROM or faster*

*Required only at installation

Internet Connection: 56kbps Modem or better

Others: Keyboard, DirectX® 8.1 (Required)

Hah...yeah i can see that reaction, MMORPG doesnt quite fit into the FF mold but then neither did sequels, before...ill trust the team to put a quality game out there, tho. I thought id hate Phantasy Star Online but turned out to rather enjoy it.

Thing is...will this game warrant me gettin a PS2 modem? Keyboard? Pay server fees? Pretty doubtful, but id be up for seein it run first anyway.

• 4 years later...
Square Enix said Wednesday that it would bring the Nintendo DS remakes of Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI to both Europe and the US, with the first entry appearing September.

ImageDragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (pictured) will come to Nintendo’s handheld on September 16, 2008 in the States. It is scheduled for September in the UK and other PAL territories as well.

While the other two games in what Square Enix is calling the Zenithia Trilogy were announced, no release dates for either Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride or Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie were given.

Holy shit *wipes tears from eyes*

This made me happy like you wouldn't believe.

Gotta come clean with one of those things that makes newt takes turns with maldron spitting on me: never played a dragon quest alla way through.

so very many j-rpgs, but not one of them. what's been your highlight of the series?

Well, I tried IV once on the NES, cool, but tough to get into. I hope the DS remake makes the gameplay a little less archaic, but that's probably too much to hope for. Still if I have to play an old-school RPG a portable is the best way to do it. Grinding sucks less when you can do it on the shitter.

Is this all that much news, I could have sworn this was announced months ago, when we found out the titles of the games in english. or maybe it was a trademark leak.