Hondo's Bar

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Finally. So many movies put out word that a sequel is in the works immediately after a big opening weekend, that sometimes it seems that if a movie underperformed and you get no word for a year or so, it makes you think it might be dead in the water. Hopefully they make a sequel of the same caliber as First Class, and with Jennifer Lawrence's and Michael Fassbender's Hollywood stars rising, the movie will get some good buzz and be a bonafide hit. Of course, they might be some people rooting against it, like with The Amazing Spider-Man, because they fine that a box office bomb for the franchisee would mean Fox would be forced to hand the property back to Marvel Studios.

Of course, they might be some people rooting against it, like with The Amazing Spider-Man, because they fine that a box office bomb for the franchisee would mean Fox would be forced to hand the property back to Marvel Studios.

X-Men is a different animal entirely. Singer did get fucked over but only because he decided to hop over to another studio and direct another movie, he has no one to blame for Brett Ratner but himself. Post-X-Men 3 (and most certainly post Wolverine) everybody was rooting for the rights to lapse because we were clearly done here. First Class restored everyone's faith in the series, of course we're now heading toward an impasse where Fox will either have to go full retard reboot or make some horrible amalgamation of Singer's X-Men and Vaughn's X-men. That will probably not work and at that point I certainly hope Marvel somehow can buy the rights.

I mean the new actors playing the characters: Patrick Stewart/James McAvoy, Ian McKellan/Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Romijin/Jennifer Lawrence. It would be easier at this juncture to just continue with the new actors but this creates "200 pound gorrilla in the room" continuity problems further down the line. We can't just spend the rest of forever in the 60s.

Yeah, I'd be up for the franchise getting an old fashioned "JJ Abrams-ing," but I'd much prefer the same cast set in the 1960s. If they fought in NYC and had the inevitable camera-pan fight through an office building, and the fracas just so happened to go through the offices of SCDP. Well that would just be nerdvana on a screen right there.

• 1 month later...

Possible confirmation of Days Of Future Past as the storyline of the sequel?

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS Sequel Officially Titled X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST?

64627.jpg Twentieth Century Fox C.I.S. have reportedly confirmed that the sequel to X-Men First Class will be titled X-Men: Days of Future Past.

MovieManiac - 7/27/2012

X-menfirstclassposter5.jpeg

Our Russian comrades over at Stark Industries have obtained information which may have revealed the title of Matthew Vaughn's X-Men followup. Russian News site Film Business Today states that the sequel will be lifted from the pages of Marvel comic books and will be called X-Men: Days of Future Past. Fox envisioned X-Men: First Class as the first film of a new trilogy. Simon Kinberg, who co-wrote X-Men: The Last Stand and co-produced X-Men: First Class, is writing the sequel,along with Vaughn and his longtime collaborator, Jane Goldman. Bryan Singer will return as producer on the film, which is set to begin filming in January 2013, after Jennifer Lawrence has finished shooting The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. The sequel for First Class is scheduled for a release on July 18, 2014.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...tgAkWwuJ23Y6.99

As long as the tone is the same, I'm open for pretty much any X-story line. Although you'd think Apocalypse would be the obvious choice for the baddie in another film before going in to DOFP. This could give a plausible reason for Mags & Chuck to team up. But I really don't care if they keep this trilogy as prequels to the established film franchise. Why not just call it a reboot, after all X-Men history in the comics are convoluted and riddled with ret-con.

Because at the moment it's only being reported by a single Russian site. It doesn't seem to have been announced officially by Fox yet anyway.

Pump your brakes, Russia has its thumb upon the throbbing vein of culture. Something something Soviet Russia inversion of norms.

• Upvote 1

how many of you guys read/recall Days of Future Past? it's an old-ass story, you're thinking its not cause it simultaneously takes place in the distant past (the brotherhood tries to take out sentaor Kelly) and the future of those consequences, where Sentinels enforce zero tolerance on mutants. Mags isnt calling the shots, as i recall, but that can be worked around.

it happens years before apocalypse, and for a while, the dichotomy of 90s x-men was that some catalyst was going to start either DOFF/811 or AOA, but i think the former has to be established before getting into the latter.

I recall Days of a Future Past vividly. I also recall that it's like an issue and a half, it just has a badass cover.

The basic meat that matters is a future where mutants are rounded up and exterminated like jews. The details are kind of unimportant. Add sentinels and some old grizzled versions of characters, throw in some "M" eye tattoos and baby, you got yourself a stew goin.

Title officially confirmed

While speaking with IGN, Bryan Singer confirmed the title for the upcoming "X-Men: First Class" sequel will be "Days of Future Past."

"I can say it's being written right now. We'll start shooting in a few months," Singer told IGN. "I don't know what the start date is. It's going to be very ambitious. It's called 'Days of Future Past.' It deals with aspects of that comic but also some very new things. I just don't want to give any of it away. Matthew Vaughan will be directing and I'm totally excited about it."

Hell yeah!

Kinda wanna see a continuation of the last one before seeing the (possible) future of all of them.

I'm gonna go ahead and completely flip my stance on this. I think they're gonna screw this up. I just do.

Age of Apocalypse better be the third one, god dammit.

• 2 months later...