Hondo's Bar

• 3 months later...

I've watched the first two episodes. While there are things I like about it, I really wish Aaron Sorkin wrote dialogue the way real people talked. I get that they are smart people, but nobody talks like that. It takes that Kevin Smith/Quintin Tarantino thing where everybody's lines are just a bit to punchy and snappy to sound realistic and cranks it up to 11, and on top of that give every character an encyclopedic, statistically broken down, meta-analysized knowledge of every and any topic being discussed. I'm not sure if it was to this extreme in the West Wing, or if I was just less bothered by it when I watched that show, but it's really grating on my ears now and it hinders me from enjoying the rest of the elements of the show I enjoy.

This is pretty representative of typical West Wing dialogue.

Also, that talking as they walk through halls thing is a staple of the show. I don't think there's a single episode where they don't have at least one several-minutes long continuous shot of someone walking and talking with various people that pop in and out of the shot to speak to the main-walker of the shot.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister convinced me to start watching, and it's probably the most engrossing non-supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy show on television right now. The premise is pretty simple...it's the going-ons and behind the scenes look at life behind a news desk. There's a human element, which actually adds to the whole show instead of detracts, and it's real stories over the past year that are used (for instance, tonights' episode was about Osama's death).

Watch it, my Hondo's fwens :D I think you would probably all pretty enjoy it. It comes on HBO Sundays after True Blood.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1870479/

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I caught up and have been enjoying it emmensely. The Bin Laden episode was too heavy handed w/ the whole, "You tell 'em" thing but Will being high and the outdated Guitar Hero references balanced it out w/ enough humor.

Bindy is right, this last episode was a great set up and hopefully the rest of the season gives us an equally compeling payoff.

Half of the things on this show that the Jeff D. character says I have wanted to yell at people at one time or another. Just finished the Gabby Giffords episode and I thought it was extremely prescient. I know what Jax is talking about when it comes to the dialogue since it was the same reaction I had initially. I think that it has gotten a bit better as the season has went on though.