Hondo's Bar

Long Boxes

Mr. Hakujin

Long Box Longing  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BXCL.jpg

Ah, remember those halcyon days of yore when you bought all your comics as single issues on a monthly basis, then carefully placed them in a mylar bag with a cardboard backing and finally tucked them safely away in a long box? And not these fancy newfangled "drawer" long boxes they have now. If you're panch, then that day was likely Wednesday, but by the looks of this thread, I think most of the Hondonians support their comic book jones w/ either collected volumes or digital DLs. But let's look back and discuss our old friend--the long box.

And although they varied in size through the years, for argument's sake, let's say two short boxes = one long box.

comic-long-boxes-2.jpg

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

sold 9 of my 10 in the summer of '04, made $5k+, spent a few hundred buying back what i wanted in TPB for my bookshelf. felt good, man.

im down to just 1 that has stuff not in trades, but the one thing i miss (panch will recall) was that i'd decorate the shit out of them with Wizard art, promo stuff and the like to tell you what was inside: one box had Jesse, Spider, Sandman etc, another was a JLA collage, and the like. id even try to print out the logo colors/font for each title's divider, it was lively and easy to sort through.

but money issues aside, the change was coming as soon as i realized that i could get 10+ locals to read Preacher by convincing them it was okay, sometimes taking them out of bag & board just to make people less wary etc, but Aadil had early USM/UXM TPBs that everyone who came over freely read & borrowed and got hooked on, id gone through this forced minimalism stage and this convinced me it was a superior format, haven't looked back since.

i do like looking over panch's books when i'm there, even if some boxes are missing, but at the height of mine i still didn't go back and read stuff more than once or twice a week, if that. going digital was the best thing for me, and one day im sure ill customize a digital box as well.

good thread man.

sold 9 of my 10 in the summer of '04, made $5k+, spent a few hundred buying back what i wanted in TPB for my bookshelf. felt good, man.

You made $5k+ on comics? In the 2000s? Daaaamn! I'd sell mine now, but unfortunately most are worthless. And I'm really too lazy to bother doing it online. I could've gotten around $5k if I would've sold them back in the 90s.

Why didn't I sell that Ninjak #1 when someone actually wanted to pay stoopid amounts of money for it?!?! WHY!?!?!

im down to just 1 that has stuff not in trades, but the one thing i miss (panch will recall) was that i'd decorate the shit out of them with Wizard art, promo stuff and the like to tell you what was inside: one box had Jesse, Spider, Sandman etc, another was a JLA collage, and the like. id even try to print out the logo colors/font for each title's divider, it was lively and easy to sort through.

tLv5P.gif

I did that on a VERY minimal level with stuff from the free promo stuff, but I never cut up my Wizard mags. I adored those things for some reason; probably b/c it cost as much as 2-3 single issues to buy one issue. Everything for me in the day was divided by $1.25-$1.75 increments.

yeah, i recall panch didnt like me cutting them up either...thing is, i had already started years back with this Preacher anthology i still have, its all clippings and art and interviews and shit, back on the Preacher board some guy who swore he was employed by Vertigo to do a Preacher annotations/etc like Sandman got wanted me to scan them all and upload it for him to put in said book, in return Hondo's would get a shout-out in the credits. I said id do everything but the original movie script i have (too long/shitty), but sadly, said forum collapsed before this could happen and i never got proper contact info :???:

but yeah, i had lost my entire collection of NIntendo Power, years worth of EGM etc in a flood at my mom's house so i decided to cut my favorite bits out of Wizard before inevitably losing them too...still hoping there's a complete scan torrent of them one day, haha.

as for the 5k, it was all ebay, and largely international bidders. since i had complete runs of some hard to find shit (mind condition/variants/sometimes autographs) and coudlnt even find competed auctions of some batches, id just price them high as fuck and see who bit. most times it'd take a bit but sometimes id say put the whole run of Transmet at like $150-200, then it'd be bought within hours and id kick myself for not asking more, haha. but yeah, i was unemployed and at the post office so much, they still know me there.

also, looking at the poll so far...holy shit hakus, youve got (had?) quite the collection...unless you're referring to what i think you are :ifyouknowwhatimean:

Man, it used to bother the shit outta me when Nick would cut his Wizards. Still, I used to love going through his boxes (there was always something I would take home ;).

I've always had many long boxes filled with comics, but this is the first time I've actually catalogged them. I only have about half here at the house with me (the rest are in Cathy's dad's garage), but I gone through every one and plugged em in to Cathy's iPad. Every week I update. It's cool cause when I'm bored I'll look at the catalog, get reminded of something and go and read it. It's fun.

Later I'll take a picture of what I got here and post it :)

I think I've got about 8ish. One is about 3/4 full of stuff I need to alphabetized.

I've sold maybe a box, box and a half, and it was all undoubtedly shit. Shit like "Why are there 3 copies of Rai and the Future Force #12 in here? I've never even read that book". I basically sold them by the pound for like $18 or something.

It's rare that I buy any pamphlet style books for myself anymore. I don't think I've added a box in well over 5 years.

But I sure have added shelves.

I buy most of my monthly titles via Comixology now, and I'm accumulating quite a satisfying collection over there.

I've always had many long boxes filled with comics, but this is the first time I've actually catalogged them. I only have about half here at the house with me (the rest are in Cathy's dad's garage), but I gone through every one and plugged em in to Cathy's iPad. Every week I update.

See, I've dreamed about doing this for years. When I was a kid, I typed all of the titles into MS Word one summer. That was cool for a minute. But some if these cataloging programs are badass. I have a couple, I just never have the time.

And that's one of the cool things about buying on Comixology. It's all cataloged perfectly already. You log in and see your whole collection, with nice cover art and a synopsis. And an option to buy and read the next issue right now. I like being able to start a comic on my couch, read it on my phone during my cigarette break at work (in public) and then finish it on my kindle when I'm taking a shit. I love it all so hard now. I can't see myself going back to paper monthly books.

Owning digital content has a much different feeling to me than downloading it. I own it, and I don't have the option to sell it. I can't even delete it (although, thankfully, I can hide something from myself forever).I'm not going to lose it, and I'm not going to have to delete it or burn it in order to make space for more.

Edited by Thelogan

You're reading your digital stuff on a Kindle Fire then, Thrizzle?

also, looking at the poll so far...holy shit hakus, youve got (had?) quite the collection...unless you're referring to what i think you are :ifyouknowwhatimean:

Yeah, you lost me on that innuendo.

I've got so many b/c I've literally kept almost every comic I've ever bought or been given. I had a decent pull list, bought way too many duplicates for a time, and I'd say there were a good three or four Christmases/birthdays where I got a crapload of comics. Also, a friend of mine gave me his entire collection about 2 years ago when he took his vow of poverty and became a Jesuit. They're all still in regular boxes and shoe boxes that I haven't sorted through and boxed properly.

The only time I've ever reduced my collection for profit was when I sold some Punishers to this guy that worked at my local comic shop a few years back. I had like 5 or 6 issues he needed for a complete run. And I gave away a shoebox full of Deathlok and Marvel 2099 to a friend for his classroom library as well. Those poor, poor children.

Man, it used to bother the shit outta me when Nick would cut his Wizards. Still, I used to love going through his boxes (there was always something I would take home ;).

I've always had many long boxes filled with comics, but this is the first time I've actually catalogged them. I only have about half here at the house with me (the rest are in Cathy's dad's garage), but I gone through every one and plugged em in to Cathy's iPad. Every week I update. It's cool cause when I'm bored I'll look at the catalog, get reminded of something and go and read it. It's fun.

Later I'll take a picture of what I got here and post it :)

In hindsight it was kinda dumb to revere those mags so much, but revere them I did. I think I even still have them all in a box somewhere; although I can't be sure if I threw them out when I moved to my house five years back. I doubt it though.

And I was in the same boat as Thrizzle w/ cataloging. I had an old MS Word .doc for a bit and I stepped it up to Excel before realizing I just didn't give a fuck anymore.

And how the fuck have you gotten the collection bulging again so quickly?!?!? I'd say 10-15 boxes is what you had at my house for that time. Well done sir!

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

It was more than 10-15. I was on my 18th long box in New Orleans. Once it was all said and done I sold 7 or 8 boxes just for a plane ticket home. I'm back up to 14 or 15 now. Maybe more (the bulk of my stuff is at Cathy's dad's). Plus, she has 4 short boxes of her own that are just hemorrhaging bad girl and vampire comics.

I just don't know. I've been schlepping these things around for years. They're all over the place.

Edited by Panch

You're reading your digital stuff on a Kindle Fire then, Thrizzle?

It's my preferred method, and the only reason I bought a Kindle Fire. The Comixology app just works so well.

I usually only use it upstairs though, like when I'm reading in bed or on the can. If I'm downstairs, I'll just put it on the computer or, occasionally, the TV if I want to read 40" panels.

When I'm not home (which, unfortunately, is pretty often) the phone works in a pinch. The screen is bigger than a lot of panels would be anyway, but situations do arise where I have to do a bit of manual zooming and such. But reading at work is the only way I can plow through things like Irredeemable in a timely manner.

^^That basically sounds like how Netflix's interface, meaning how you can leave-off and pick up from the same spot on various devices. Sounds like the way to go for digital. If you're gonna pay.

Here's a question for the long box days I forgot to put on the poll:

When filing your comics away in the long box, did you put the earliest or latest issue directly behind the divider tab?

For me it always made sense to put the latest issue behind the tab--so much easier for filing. Find the Detective tab and, bam, put the latest issue right behind it. The first comic shop I frequented always put the earliest issue behind the tab, and it irked me. It just made searching for that missing back issue that much more tedious.

From front to back it goes oldest to newest. This is the only acceptable answer.

And re: Netflix, its a lot like that. Except that when on mobile devices,you need to download the book first. This is so you can still read it if you don't have a connection. It only "streams" on the PC.

It's a minor inconvenience. Its less than a minute to get something the size of a monthly.