Thor: The Dark World

Keth

set photos

YdmM4.jpg

DHiSE.jpg

s99Fw.jpg

s1HC6.jpg

LmNST.jpg

Directed by Alan Taylor, the sequel is now filming for a November 8, 2013 release. Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Jaimie Alexander, Idris Elba, Zachary Levi, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Eccleston, Kat Dennings and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje star.

Also Mr. Eko plays a villain

FpWkx.jpg

Variety is reporting that actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje will be taking on two villain roles, sort of, for the upcoming Marvel Studios film Thor: The Dark World. He will be portraying Algrim the Strong and Kurse.

Algrim first appeared in Thor #347 and was one of the most powerful of the dark elves. He is given the task of killing Thor by Malekith the Accursed (set to be played by Christopher Eccleston). He is betrayed by Malekith who tries to kill Thor by allowing both the god of thunder and Algrim to fall to their deaths. While both survived, Algrim developed amnesia from the event and is transformed into the much more powerful being Kurse.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje has appeared on screen in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, The Bourne Identity, and played Mr. Eko on "Lost."

The release date is kinda weird, but I guess they are going for holiday movie season money.

damn tags

Edited by axel_napalm

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So this comes out in November, and Iron Man 3 is coming out in May. Anyone should be able to figure out that they would have at least a teaser for this movie before Iron Man 3 (and by the way, Cap 2 comes out in April 2014, so you can bet on a teaser for that before Thor 2). Well, the Thor 2 teaser will debut exclusively online on April 23 before appearing in theaters in from of Iron Man 3.

By the way, numbered sequels are good enough for Iron Man, but Thor and Captain America just get subtitles. The official name of the Avengers sequel has not been announced. Anyone had a prediction as to whether it'll be The Avengers 2, or if it'll just have a subtitle?

I think so two, but why not just go with Thor 2 and Cap 2? Do you think maybe they feel there's a lot of people that just got on this marvel train with the Avengers and might not even be aware of the previous movies, so putting 2's at the end would only discourage them from going to see a Thor or Cap movie?

The non numerical titles didn't hurt Nolan's Batrilogy a lick. Not sure why Marvel's doing it has got your panties in a wad, Jax.

It didn't hurt the original Star Wars trilogy either. But the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a metafranchise, with several franchises within it, and there is no consistency among the subfranchises, so I'm just wondering if there's a reason why Iron Man got numbered and Thor and Cap didn't? It's purely curiosity.

Was it because Marvel was disappointed with their inaugural titles' box office numbers, or critical reception? Because while neither was as good as Iron Man's neither was not shabby. If Avengers gets a non-numbered sequel, I think that's give a lot of credibility to the argument that after the wanted to keep Iron Man's titles consistent, but since Iron Man 2 have changed their sequel titling strategy. If they go with Avengers 2, it lends credibility to the argument that movies whose performances they were happy with get numbers, and movies whose performance merited a sequel, but feel short for them, get subtitles.

I think Jax's theory makes a lot of sense. Less people saw Thor and Captain America than Iron Man, and I'm sure some research somewhere probably suggests that people who were uninterested in the first movie of a series are less likely to see the sequel.

For many of the folks who saw the Avengers, that was their first exposure to Captain America and Thor, but not so much Iron Man. I can see a scenario where someone was like "Captain America 2 looks cool, but I need to see the first one first". Maybe that'll happen less with a subtitle? It certainly wouldn't happen more.

TL;DR - Yeah, I think there's some nefarious marketing going on here. It doesn't bother me, but I think it's very interesting to take note of.

My interest in this, pre-trailer, is pretty low. More indifferent than excited.

So I decided to look up the director, this Alan Taylor character, to see what effect that would have.

Turns out this is practically the big screen debut of a TV director. Interest waning.

But he's directed some really fucking good TV.

Game of Thrones (TV series) 2011-2012

Boardwalk Empire (TV series) 2010

Bored to Death (TV series) 2009-2010

Nurse Jackie (TV series) 2010

Mad Men (TV series) 2007-2008

The Sopranos (TV series) 1999-2007

Big Love (TV series) 2006

Rome (TV series) 2005

Deadwood (TV series) 2004-2005

Carnivàle (TV series) 2005

Six Feet Under (TV series) 2002

The West Wing (TV series) 1999-2000